News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

trainplane3

Does anyone know if there's going to be a closing ceremony for UoE? I doubt there will be personally. Only reason I ask is because we may be putting together a quick trip to Disney that happens to fall over the weekend UoE closes.

Cmdr_Crimson

Think about this....GoTG had a comic made about them for Mission Breakout..
detail.jpg

And Universe of Energy HAD A comic that kids got when exiting the ride....(I'm lucky I still have mine)
universe-of-energy-comic-book-mickey-goofy-e1292435291416.jpg

If you think about it this was the only attraction that ever did this....This was such a Full circle idea...They better at least aknowledge this comic somewhere in the ride for Peter Quills memories of Epcot...I'm sure they will make a comic of the new attraction as well.

Last edited:

Cmdr_Crimson

When Bill Nye finally sees that the 2 Attractions (Cyberspace Mountain & Ellen's Energy Adventure) he was in for Disney are annouced to be closed and the checks stop coming..
GifBillNye122415Sad.gif

Alex Trebek...Your thoughts on the Closure?
giphy.gif

Stupid Judy Er I mean..Judy Peterson...What's your thoughts on Ellen's Attraction Being removed?
giphy.gif

Last edited:

SpaceMountain77

Bob Chapek: "More timeless, more relevant, more family, more Disney."

New Attraction Dialogue:

Gamora: "By the way, Quill, you're EPCOT attraction is disgusting."
Peter turns to Rocket and says: "She has no idea. If I had a black light in this EPCOT pavilion, it'd look like a Jackson Pollok painting."

Nothing says more family and more Disney than crude sexual humor.

Donald96

When Bill Nye finally sees that the last 2 Attractions (Cyberspace Mountain & Ellen's Energy Adventure) he was in for Disney are annouced to be closed and the checks stop coming...
GifBillNye122415Sad.gif

Alex Trebek...Your thoughts on the Closure?
giphy.gif

Stupid Judy Er I mean..Judy Peterson...What's your thoughts on Ellen's Attraction Being removed?
giphy.gif
He's still got the DINOSAUR queue! ;)

No Name

I'm still waiting for a question on Jeopardy about the ride's closure.

"Alex Trebec was disappointed when Disney announced that this ride, featuring Trebec and Jeopardy, would be closing." It's fair enough... a true Jeopardy fan should know the answer!

He's still got the DINOSAUR queue! ;)
Funny that he's in the two rides with dinosaurs. Well not counting Dino-Rama of course.

Cmdr_Crimson

Does anyone know if there's going to be a closing ceremony for UoE? I doubt there will be personally. Only reason I ask is because we may be putting together a quick trip to Disney that happens to fall over the weekend UoE closes.
Just crowds up until the last ride goes through..Hopefully Martin will be there for the closures of UoE and GMR

RSoxNo1

Oh! How about this...Chris Pratt goes on Ellen...To tell her she's been Evicted From The Universe of Energy.....
chris-p.jpg
Did this actually happen? I can't find footage of him being on the show since May.

I said it on these boards any my podcast well before the official announcement that I would buy into Peter Quill having visited EPCOT Center. I buy it. But if that's the only connection than it's weak. They could take this a few different ways, and one option is having the Guardians of the Galaxy hit upon old Future World pavilions.

Up thread there was a mention that the two Marvel attractions Disney has built are set in the parks that house them. In Mission Breakout it's a convenient and somewhat lazy storyline but it might make more sense as the land is expanded.

The problem with Guardians in Epcot is that it's a bigger stretch than DCA, so the story treatment has to be spot on. The good thing is, it's essentially a new build which helps tremendously. Having said that, if it doesn't open as the best ride in the park, regardless of the story treatment it's going to be considered a failure.

mhaftman7

Ok. So I know I'm going to get a lot of flack for this, but here it goes. Just stop. Stop whining and complaining about Ellen going away. Has it not been there for over 20 years? A lot of the people going on about this sacrilege are the same people that want Disney to fire back at the cross town rival with something new and fresh. You can't have it both ways. You can't just expect a new ride to pop up out of no where (or should I say Knowhere, ). I have a hard time believing that the references made in the movie will not be family friendly. I think the theming of it may actually tie in to the MCU more as the GotG should be an Earth at least once before the ride opens.

If it truly, TRULY bothers you that they are moving forward into tomorrow (You know EPCOT is spelled with a "T" that stands for tomorrow. It ain't EPCOP) then the answer is simple. Don't go. Boycott it. Refuse to go. Spend you money elsewhere. Because when it's all said and done, the ones that will not go will probably be replaced 10 fold, if not more, by families with kids who love that movie and those characters, but can't afford to go to the left coast.

Again my apologies

/rant

DonaldDoleWhip

Hmmm. One week later, my prevailing attitude is one of indifference. Future World has felt like an increasingly hollow shell for years, and while I might not care much for the Guardians myself, at least they'll bring energy and exuberance to a corner of the park that needs it.

Ellen is woefully outdated and barely entertaining; I felt that way at least 10 years ago (i.e. the only time I rode it). The previous UoE, while more ambitious, tops Ellen in its outdatedness and dullness. These days, I'd bet a lot of people don't want to sit through a 45-minute glorification of fossil fuels that was originally crafted to boost Exxon's PR.

On that note, so much of Future World was driven by sponsorships, but the pavilions have failed in multiple ways upon losing their sponsors. To me, that says EPCOT Center's mission has failed, and would fail even if resurrected today. The park isn't staying relevant, timeless, and educational without a ton of recurring investment. The sponsors who make that possible dilute the park's forward-looking intent (Wonders of Life felt dated even when it opened) and ultimately fail to stick around (perhaps due to their own lack of imagination - hi Kodak!).

EPCOT Center had a mission and failed to fulfill it, due to the park's lofty ambitions and reliance on external corporate entities. A shift toward anything else will be refreshing, and who knows: maybe the one-two combo of this ride + Mission: SPACE will inspire some visitors to explore aerospace engineering.

celluloid

I just hope for the best. For Bob C to say this is a part of making EPCPT timeless is such an odd statement though. Updating quality is the only thing that helps keep a park timeless, especially when based on a recent hit movie duo, that is not timeless. Odd wording aside, I still cannot understand why people would be upset over this IP when Ellen, Bill Nye and Jeopardy taught you energy for twice as long as the attraction should of lasted.

Last edited:

BSikor

A classic? A cheap overlay added to an unpopular ride in 1996? With celebrities and cringeworthy humor to make it more appealing? So classic.

The ride and building were groundbreaking feats when they were constructed. The Universe of Energy is a classic Epcot attraction. While, yes there was a change in '96 to make the attraction less stale and more approachable to the modern park goer, the attraction is basically the same. Moving theater cars moving around the show building. It will be gone soon and that is a shame.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom