News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Madame Medusa

This is great news. Current ride is a joke. I, as well as millions of others, love Guardians and will be fun to experience a new attraction based on their IP. It's not 1986 anymore. I was there as a 6 year old and it was neat but we have to move on with the changing times and environments kids are growing up in today. This, along with Ratatouille will get me to spend MORE time in Epcot in the future. Redo Imagination finally as well already.
Hear hear! I couldn't be happier that we're getting new things at EPCOT and if something has to go, the disgusting travesty that is Ellen's Energy Adventure should be first on the chopping block. That ride already received a cheap overlay to make it more entertaining so there should be no nostalgia for the "original" as it was already ruined. I don't know a single soul who looks forward to riding that on their Disney vacations. They don't even think of it until they just notice it's there and need to escape the heat for a bit.

There is so much edutainment at our disposal now, FAR more than the 80s or 90s, so that aspect isn't as unique, but it also isn't that educational to begin with. If you feel more "educated" after riding that outdated abomination for the 15-20th time, then I feel sorry for whatever school system you were raised in.

I can't wait for to see what they do with Guardians with such a huge space to work with. Much better than being limited by just shoving them into Tower of Terror.

DC0703

Though I have my concerns about GotG at Epcot, I do think the Ellen ride was very much past its prime. Case in point - when we visited earlier this year, we rode it a couple of times knowing it may be going away. Both times, there was a max of 20 people in the theater. It was kind of sad; I remember back when UoE would be packed and you wanted to be one of the first people in the pre-show so that you could get a bench. Now its an absolute ghost town.

I will very much miss those dinos though. Like someone said earlier, I wish they could live on somehow.

Rodan75

Which Six Flags coasters are completely enclosed and include several pre-shows? If you count GotG Coaster as Six Flags-ish, then I invite you to go to a MK thread and complain there that Space Mountain is just a Six Flags ride.

Folks embarrass themselves by comparing any wdw attraction to Six Flags. It is hyperbolic to the point of automatically losing an argument.

I like my local six flags. It is a nice distraction. But at $70 a day....c'mon.

FigmentForver96

Sad day indeed when we've come to settle in order to see new things in Epcot. I'm sure the ride will be amazing in many ways, but it will never be part of the spirit of Epcot, no matter what that bald idiot says. Any ounce of respect I had was lost when he said this would adhere to the original spirit of Epcot. He might as well have physically spat on the people and laughed when he said that. You could tell he didn't believe what he said. I would have understood if he had said that the vision is changing and so here is X Y and Z of how and why these changes are happening....nope.

Daveeeeed

Well with crazy earring Joe in charge, what did they think MB was going to turn out?
It is indeed very good. Part of the reason it works too placement wise is that it is in its own alley. Yes, sightlines throughout the park allow it to be seen elsewhere, but the fact that a Marvel Land was known to surround it made it okay for me especially once I rode it.

It's chaotic vs. suspenseful like The Tower of Terror, and for that reason GOTG is going to be ridiculously fun as a coaster at EPCOT. Mission Breakout in my mind would not have worked at DHS' Tot as it is much more impressive and is not only the park's current icon, but it is the perfect sightline for the epic land Sunset Boulevard.

I love the music for The Universe of Energy, and the massive dinosaur segment, but it was outdated, and now it is time for a change. Thought I did love sitting down for 45 minutes and just relaxing, and for that reason it has been one of my favorites at Epcot. It's as outdated as it will ever be, but I can imagine that when it opened it was very impressive. It still has a great story, a fantastic ride system, and is entertaining.

SERIOUSLY! Listen to how epic this soundtrack is. Hands down Ellen had one of the greatest of all time:

My hope is that they at least implement it in the area music in some way.

dm11

I guess every single ride replacement is divisive. I did not understand people complaining when Frozen took over Maelstrom because, well, Maelstrom was outdated and bad. Sure, Frozen is not the best ever attraction but it is significant upgrade over what it replaced. But now when it is happening with UoE, I better understand people complaining about Maelstrom/Frozen project. All of the logic that applied to Malestrom/Frozen applies here as well. My problem: I actually like UoE. And I never liked Maelstrom.

But at the end of the day, I am sure I will like GotG more and this will be an upgrade and a big one. UoE's time has gone. And GotG by all accounts will be a really good attraction.

The theme concern is still a valid concern as overall immersion is important. But I am starting to wonder whether the theme is changing. That side of FW is more and more becoming about space: GotG, Mission Space and now Space restaurant as well. In other words, Epcot is going through transformation (as is Studios) and it is probably unfair to complain about a theme right now until we see the final product.

Daveeeeed

Sad day indeed when we've come to settle in order to see new things in Epcot. I'm sure the ride will be amazing in many ways, but it will never be part of the spirit of Epcot, no matter what that bald idiot says. Any ounce of respect I had was lost when he said this would adhere to the original spirit of Epcot. He might as well have physically spat on the people and laughed when he said that. You could tell he didn't believe what he said. I would have understood if he had said that the vision is changing and so here is X Y and Z of how and why these changes are happening....nope.
It will work with a new mission statement. Sadly the current one was lost with the destruction of Horizons, Imagination, and the inclusion of Finding Nemo.

I think if the park still remains about inspiration with a new mission statement, and at such a grand scale it is possible that it can be truly something special. We'll have to wait and see.

To me, what's the bigger deal is losing GMR to Mickey (like GOTG I'm sure it will be awesome). It also has epic music like Ellen, and ironically uses the same ride system.

FigmentForver96

It will work with a new mission statement. Sadly the current one was lost with the destruction of Horizons, Imagination, and the inclusion of Finding Nemo.

I think if the park still remains about inspiration with a new mission statement, and at such a grand scale it is possible that it can be truly something special. We'll have to wait and see.

To me, what's the bigger deal is losing GMR to Mickey (like GOTG I'm sure it will be awesome). It also has epic music like Ellen, and ironically uses the same ride system.

There is no new mission statement? Did you not listen or did you just choose to ignore what he said? He said that the ride would adhere to the "original" vision of Epcot. They can't lose that "original" vision because nothing sells better than nostalgia and there will be Disney Bloggers lining hours before park open to grab their limited edition EPCOT Center shirt and Guardians shirt. This way they can run back and tweet about what super fans they are and, how much Epcot means to them when they weren't even born before '00, and don't even know what it was like. And the original Epcot could have come back, after this it never will.

rudyjr13

No, I'm not, but anything is better than nothing isn't the right direction either.

Maybe that's where we disagree. As I said in a previous post it's not 1986 anymore. It's 2017. iPhones, uber, Amazon, Netflix. Disney as the massive corporate giant owning ABC, ESPN, Star Wars, Marvel etc. They clearly believe it's better to shoehorn a Guardians of the Galaxy theme into a pavilion about energy than simply updating the current attraction. Which by the way had Ellen Degenerous and Alex Trebec...both pop culture IPs.

Same decision making as putting Frozen ride in Norway. Was it the best ride I ever waited 20-30 minutes for? No. Did my 6 and 7 year old daughters love it? Yes. I feel like this site loses sight on the fact that it's a collection of theme parks mostly geared toward kids. Yes I know the quotes about the parks being enjoyed by kids of all ages...let's take a step back and maybe realize kids of 2017 enjoy attractions differently than kids of the 80s. Adults? Well there's alcohol and many food options for you at every country to enjoy and food kiosks how many months of the year now? Test track and Mission Space are both skewed towards older demos.

I've been going to WDW since 1982. I'm 37 and have been at least 5 times since 2007. The current state of Epcot is depressing. If Guardians in Energy is what it takes to get new experiences there, sign me up for a trip once it opens. I am also a huge fan of the MCU so maybe I'm biased but the MCU is a massively popular franchise right now with no signs of slowing down.

misterID

@rudyjr13 This attraction is perfect for DHS. I'll even say I'd rather have them switch this for TRON and place Guardians in TL, which is more about Science Fiction than futurism. TRON is sleek, cool and futuristic. The music is EPCOT, the concept and style is EPCOT. Loud, obnoxious fun with heavy merchandising is MK. Don't even care about the similarities to TRON Track at this point

rudyjr13

For people upset, I don't get the difference between using Ellen and Jeopardy to tell a story (both IPs in their own right) vs using a Marvel property. Especially when I believe we have no idea what this attraction will actually be. How do we know the core lessons about sustainability and eco friendly energy won't still be there?

SirNim

These are big time additions. Very happy to see the investment. Not too happy with the theming, which seems more like, "let's see how we can cram in some IPs and make it vaguely cohesive" instead of, "how do we make this park special again."
Exactly. What is the direction of the approach? This is a completely shoehorned idea.

SirNim

People have been waiting for, salivating, anticipating, that one day, Epcot would be considered an IP in its own right. That day has, regrettably, yet to come to pass.

Until then, we continue to wait.

rudyjr13

Exactly. What is the direction of the approach? This is a completely shoehorned idea.

Tapping into the current culture phenomenon that will drive guest attendance and satisfaction up. The way the company operates now, none of this should be a surprise. I challenge those of you that claim to be devastated to boycott Walt Disney World. Being a fan of these decisions, I will be going to experience these new attractions based on IPs me and my family enjoy.

lazyboy97o

For people upset, I don't get the difference between using Ellen and Jeopardy to tell a story (both IPs in their own right) vs using a Marvel property. Especially when I believe we have no idea what this attraction will actually be. How do we know the core lessons about sustainability and eco friendly energy won't still be there?
It was stated that it would be about the excitement of space.

misterID

Tapping into the current culture phenomenon that will drive guest attendance and satisfaction up. The way the company operates now, none of this should be a surprise. I challenge those of you that claim to be devastated to boycott Walt Disney World. Being a fan of these decisions, I will be going to experience these new attractions based on IPs me and my family enjoy.
No one is going to boycott. Yes, there will an initial bump in attendance, like any new E attraction would do. I'm not against UOE being replaced and I'm not opposed to the ride itself. I'm saying the ride is in the wrong park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom