News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

invader

This is great news. Current ride is a joke. I, as well as millions of others, love Guardians and will be fun to experience a new attraction based on their IP. It's not 1986 anymore. I was there as a 6 year old and it was neat but we have to move on with the changing times and environments kids are growing up in today. This, along with Ratatouille will get me to spend MORE time in Epcot in the future. Redo Imagination finally as well already.
I think this might be the most offensive thing I've ever read on WDWMagic

FettFan

Dinoland in AK. Enclose an area around the MK railroad track and put in dinosaurs, like DL. Two ideas that come to mind.

Dinoland would be the best option, as an omnimover or a boat ride featuring the classic dinos would give folks a gentle alternative to the loud and rough "Dinosaur!"....something where the kids could see dinosaurs but without that pesky 48" height requirement.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Glad it's there and not Tower of Terror. Sad to see Universe of Energy go, but the Ellen ride never did too much for me.
They could have taken the whole Ellen theme out, put benches in the Dino areas and made it a walk through attraction and I would have been perfectly fine with it. This attraction, SSE and Journey blew me away when I was a sophomore in high school. I know things need to change bu this park is nothing like the park that I stood in awe of back in the late 80s.

Captain Barbossa

They could have taken the whole Ellen theme out, put benches in the Dino areas and made it a walk through attraction and I would have been perfectly fine with it. This attraction, SSE and Journey blew me away when I was a sophomore in high school. I know things need to change bu this park is nothing like the park that I stood in awe of back in the late 80s.
That's actually a pretty cool idea!!

FettFan

Hilarious to see so many people "devastated" to lose attractions nobody cared about until their announcement. Almost nobody rides Energy and half are sleeping. Can't wait for the fake "uproar" when Stitch is replaced.

Today they basically announced four new E-ticket attractions and people in forums act like WDW has been ruined.

It's nothing to do with Ellen. The Ellen Energy show was lame as hell, and the only reason anyone ever went on it was because of the Primeval Diorama.
Our concern is...Guardians of the Galaxy, entertaining though it is, isn't exactly known for conservation or the theme of Energy. If they can make a fun attraction that still addresses the importance of alternative energy sources and actually gets people thinking, then GREAT, I'll be happy to support it.

But if they're doing it just as a cash in because GotG is the new flavor of the month (*cough*FrozenEverAfter*cough*), then it's just another reason why Team Disney Orlando's leadership needs an overhaul.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
This argument has never worked, having to keep up with technology. We still haven't reached the tech displayed in HORIZONS.

Just because Horizons had some far out tech ideas doesn't mean the other pavilions of Epcot didn't become dated. When I visited Innoventions in my youth I was excited for the next gen games and computers... only to find that my local arcade back home and my desk top computer was way more advanced.

Also, to the point that some have made about GotG being lazy by simply taking over an existing building and not being a new build... well... yes and no. There's going to be a sizable building built to add onto UoE. Epcot is expanding because of GotG.

And with regard to theme: Which theme? The them of "Future World"? In which a history of communication and a sci-fi musical with Michael Jackson and aerial video of California (and World sites) are some of the most beloved attractions of Future World and really aren't themed to the future at all? Besides, our venerable insider has told us that that theme is very likely going to be gone.

Or the theme of "Epcot"? Which was a planned community and then a permanent World's Fair? A fair has fair rides. Not all fair rides are edutainment, like, e.g., Captain Eo. Sometimes... they're just entertainment. Like GotG.

misterID

Like with every D23 we get the obligatory newbie with strange join dates and sporadic low post counts that attacks anyone who's not down with praising the additions.

These are big time additions. Very happy to see the investment. Not too happy with the theming, which seems more like, "let's see how we can cram in some IPs and make it vaguely cohesive" instead of, "how do we make this park special again."

EPCOT is my favorite park. We already have a dumb park for people who don't want to think too much, but who need constant visual stimulation and noise. We have a park for IP's and kids. It's called Magic Kingdom.

I'm giving it a chance, but the theme sucks for FW.

thepirateking

Honestly, I won't miss UoE. I made my peace the last time I rode it. It's time has passed. The symbolism of losing another original attraction (even though it has changed) is sad and makes me long for the other great lost attractions..

Losing things is part of life, sadly. I reminded of these words from Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (probably the best part of the movie):

"We seem to have reached the age where life stops giving us things and starts taking them away."​

It's a painful thing, but at least in this case we are losing something and getting something back in return.

There's nothing like experiencing something new for the first time. I'm excited for that first ride. Thankfully and amazingly, there are going to be lots of "first rides" in the next few years. That alone is exciting.

lazyboy97o

Which Six Flags coasters are completely enclosed and include several pre-shows? If you count GotG Coaster as Six Flags-ish, then I invite you to go to a MK thread and complain there that Space Mountain is just a Six Flags ride.
The philosophy is the same. Six Flags views their parks as "themed" because of branded rides. Disney today views their parks as "themed" because of branded rides.

misterID

Just because Horizons had some far out tech ideas doesn't mean the other pavilions of Epcot didn't become dated. When I visited Innoventions in my youth I was excited for the next gen games and computers... only to find that my local arcade back home and my desk top computer was way more advanced.

Also, to the point that some have made about GotG being lazy by simply taking over an existing building and not being a new build... well... yes and no. There's going to be a sizable building built to add onto UoE. Epcot is expanding because of GotG.

And with regard to theme: Which theme? The them of "Future World"? In which a history of communication and a sci-fi musical with Michael Jackson and aerial video of California (and World sites) are some of the most beloved attractions of Future World and really aren't themed to the future at all? Besides, our venerable insider has told us that that theme is very likely going to be gone.

Or the theme of "Epcot"? Which was a planned community and then a permanent World's Fair? A fair has fair rides. Not all fair rides are edutainment, like, e.g., Captain Eo. Sometimes... they're just entertainment. Like GotG.
Not saying UOE wasn't dated, not saying it didn't need help. We've all been moaning that it needs more work. But the people who did JTTCOTE and Mystic Manor could also do something really special for EPCOT.

Yes, it's lazy.

I'm not telling you what to accept and what not to. The EPCOT that exists today doesn't need a new identity. It could work with a cohesion of the RIGHT IPs and original story telling. They've decided to put a comic book IP into EPCOT. They're deciding to change it's identity. One of the most successful and visited parks in the world. I'm not going to act like they're doing this for the benefit of the park, but instead creating more Wal Mart style merchandise opportunities.

FettFan

Which Six Flags coasters are completely enclosed and include several pre-shows? If you count GotG Coaster as Six Flags-ish, then I invite you to go to a MK thread and complain there that Space Mountain is just a Six Flags ride.

Mayan Mindbender, formerly at Six Flags Astroworld.
Myan1.jpg

sfaw5.jpg

f29aeaf099ab76d1769a5a4f23a222cd--abandoned-amusement-parks-houston-texas.jpg

rudyjr13

Sit here and continue being right, I guess?

I'm glad you can finally enjoy Epcot now without that pesky theme in the way. Maybe one day they'll bulldoze world showcase to make room for more rides and characters for you.

Except I think you are 100% wrong here. Will you go enjoy the new attraction based on Guardians of the Galaxy or boycott it? Do you have kids?

es135

I went on my first trip to Disney World last summer. I've lurked on these boards ever since. It is safe to say I've found a new obsession! As someone who had no preconceived notions about EPCOT, I had very mixed feelings about the park. I didn't know what to expect as I sat in the large theater of the Energy Pavilion. I was truly surprised by the unique ride system and felt genuine awe as the curtain opened to reveal the first glimpse of the dinosaurs. Yes, the ride was clearly dated, but I couldn't help but feel a childlike sense of wonder as I rode through those massive dinos. With today's announcement, I finally understand the disappointment that many are feeling. This and GMR will both be missed as great rides that could have continued to inspire and educate if only they had received the respect and tlc that they deserved. They will forever be etched in my memories of the time I spent at the park. I'm genuinely sad that I won't be able to experience them again. That being said, I'm excited to to see EPCOT in particular receive the kind of investment that it needs. I only hope that these replacements and additions can inspire, entertain, and capture my imagination in the way I've come to expect from a Disney attraction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom