News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Rich Brownn

I remembering hearing at one point awhile ago that test track, since it was a new technology, did some kind of on site R&D where they intentionally disabled all safety systems to literally crash test an uncontrolled ride vehicles. It unattached itself from the track around the breaking/downhill return section of the outdoor loop.

I handful of times I have thought about this and cannot remember where I heard this from or have been able to find sources online to refresh my memory about actual details vs what I think I remember hearing.
There's a reason the door that open to outside is made of breakaway material :)

beachlover4444

This is so odd to me as it never caused me an ounce of trouble. Didn’t even occur to me that it was bothering some. I never once felt nauseous, Star Tours is worse imo.
I get what’s known as visual vertigo. Screens mess me up bad. and Spinning. If I can see where I am going I am ok. If I look away for even a sec I’m messed up. I won’t be able to do tron either and it kills me. Remy made me sick. Runaway railway I had to put my face in my hat for the flowing water scenes but i tolerate that ride better. The hogwarts ride caused major vomitping for me. No fun.

beachlover4444

I get what’s known as visual vertigo. Screens mess me up bad. and Spinning. If I can see where I am going I am ok. If I look away for even a sec I’m messed up. I won’t be able to do tron either and it kills me. Remy made me sick. Runaway railway I had to put my face in my hat for the flowing water scenes but i tolerate that ride better. The hogwarts ride caused major vomitping for me. No fun.

Casper Gutman

Yet you criticised somebody for judging it from posts on twitter, yet your evidence is from a few posts on WDWmagic.com?

Without going back over every answer I recall most people querying whether they can manage this attraction and asking for comparisons, saying they'd try it out when it was compared to EE but less than R'n'R. I remember very few saying "I won't ride this" or "It's definitely one and done for me" which is what you're claiming enough Epcot visitors will do based on a few posts on here, hmmmm?

So out of all the millions of people who visit Disney every year, you think that the number on here questioning the ride somehow means a large percentage of the general public won't ride it? Many of the posts about nausea are from the same posters continually bringing it up even though the majority of them haven't experienced the ride yet.

At the risk of being accused of being a booster or 'shutting down the discussion', let's look at it logically. Yes people have become sick on this attraction (as happens on many attractions worldwide) and yes, Disney (or any theme park) would prefer nobody to become sick on a ride or refuse to ride it because they feel it too 'wild'. However 'thrill rides' are designed to scare, excite or create fun by moving you in ways that you normally don't move. By doing this there's always going to be a group of people who won't be able to ride without getting sick. My wife won't do Space Mountain or any mountain, does she represent enough of the population that makes all of Disney's mountains something to be laughed at? I'd even go as far as to say that it may cause more issues than expected, however for you to 'shut down' somebody quoting tweets from people saying they had no problem yet using people talking about it on here as factual evidence that a large enough group of people won't ride or will only ride once holds as little validity surely?
Cosmic Rewind has a motion sickness problem. Earlier, I was one of the posters who said we needed more evidence before we reached any conclusions about whether this was the case. Well, we now have that evidence, not just from first-hand reports but from Disney's own operations. Continuing to deny this reality is untenable.

Rides get reputations. Do you think guests won't notice that Disney is handing out vomit bags at CR? How many rides, in the history of WDW, have handed out vomit bags? How about the fact that, even during previews, guests on these boards noticed the vehicles smelled of vomit or were literally COATED IN VOMIT? Do you think Mission: Space ever got the crowds it would have did it not have a reputation for making many riders physically ill (and occasionally killing them?)

Thrill rides are meant to "scare, excite or create fun" through physical thrills, true. Those are pleasurable sensations. Nausea is not. Any thrill ride may cause discomfort for a small number of guests, but Disney has developed a very unique and very avoidable habit of creating thrill rides in which the sensation of motion sickness is far, far higher then the level of thrills should warrant. Based on the ride systems employed by M:S and CR, this is entirely predictable - both are literally designed to do things to the human body that are likely to cause discomfort and nausea. The fact that Disney didn't foresee this or decided to build this rides anyway is ample evidence of the decline in quality of their design and approval processes. It is also evidence for the fact that creating rides that are aesthetically, conceptually, or intellectually thrilling, which used to be Disney's mission, allows a broader swathe guests to be entertained in a much more profound manner even though designing such rides is much harder then designing ones aimed at physical thrills.

Citing people who HAVEN'T gotten sick on this ride in no way, shape, or form refutes Rewinds nausea problem, and to contend that it does so is absurd. If a ride beheaded every third guest, citing the ones who kept their cranium attached would not prove otherwise. It is not shutting down debate to point this out. The manner in which the eternal optimists on these boards try to shut down debate has been pointed out to you and others.

J4546

Havent ridden CR yet, but it will prob make me a little queazy. I get motion sickness on screen based rides like Star Tours and Smugglers Run. But Ill def take my chances cause GotG ride looks really really cool.

Incomudro

Cosmic Rewind has a motion sickness problem. Earlier, I was one of the posters who said we needed more evidence before we reached any conclusions about whether this was the case. Well, we now have that evidence, not just from first-hand reports but from Disney's own operations. Continuing to deny this reality is untenable.

Rides get reputations. Do you think guests won't notice that Disney is handing out vomit bags at CR? How many rides, in the history of WDW, have handed out vomit bags? How about the fact that, even during previews, guests on these boards noticed the vehicles smelled of vomit or were literally COATED IN VOMIT? Do you think Mission: Space ever got the crowds it would have did it not have a reputation for making many riders physically ill (and occasionally killing them?)

Thrill rides are meant to "scare, excite or create fun" through physical thrills, true. Those are pleasurable sensations. Nausea is not. Any thrill ride may cause discomfort for a small number of guests, but Disney has developed a very unique and very avoidable habit of creating thrill rides in which the sensation of motion sickness is far, far higher then the level of thrills should warrant. Based on the ride systems employed by M:S and CR, this is entirely predictable - both are literally designed to do things to the human body that are likely to cause discomfort and nausea. The fact that Disney didn't foresee this or decided to build this rides anyway is ample evidence of the decline in quality of their design and approval processes. It is also evidence for the fact that creating rides that are aesthetically, conceptually, or intellectually thrilling, which used to be Disney's mission, allows a broader swathe guests to be entertained in a much more profound manner even though designing such rides is much harder then designing ones aimed at physical thrills.

Citing people who HAVEN'T gotten sick on this ride in no way, shape, or form refutes Rewinds nausea problem, and to contend that it does so is absurd. If a ride beheaded every third guest, citing the ones who kept their cranium attached would not prove otherwise. It is not shutting down debate to point this out. The manner in which the eternal optimists on these boards try to shut down debate has been pointed out to you and others.
There are thousands of thrill rides out there that do everything possible to inflict nausea - "scare, excite and create fun" seems secondary.
Rides that spin and tumble riders often at the same time.
Disney's rides barely approach any of that.

Casper Gutman

There are thousands of thrill rides out there that do everything possible to inflict nausea - "scare, excite and create fun" seems secondary.
Rides that spin and tumble riders often at the same time.
Disney's rides barely approach any of that.
There are not many rides that place guests in a very dark environment and then arbitrarily alter there orientation in relation to their forward motion. Both M:S and CR are designed to put the messages guests receive from their eyes and inner ears into direct conflict. That's a recipe for nausea. The wildest conventional coaster in the world won't make people as sick as that.

Seriously, DISNEY IS HANDING OUT VOMIT BAGS. Trying to deny that CR has a motion sickness problem at this point is denying reality because it reflects poorly on Disney.

mergatroid

I've not denied it, you're telling untruths again and in you're own words "I don't appreciate it". Universal Studios has loads of problems with motion sickness, you've said several times how it's favourable to Disney.

Casper Gutman

I've not denied it, you're telling untruths again and in you're own words "I don't appreciate it". Universal Studios has loads of problems with motion sickness, you've said several times how it's favourable to Disney.

The post I was replying to claims, among other things, that "Many of the posts about nausea are from the same posters continually bringing it up even though the majority of them haven't experienced the ride yet." This is very much an attempt to downplay or dismiss reports of nausea on CR and is in line with the rest of your post.

I'm not sure exactly what your second sentence means, but yes, Uni has a major ride that is known for causing motion sickness. I'm not sure how this amounts to "loads" or how it pertains to the fact that Cosmic Rewind nauseates enough guests that CMs are literally handing out vomit bags.

Disstevefan1

FF9E3E1E-FC67-45E6-B878-3D285739B839.gif

The Empress Lilly

Gas prices are soaring, a diesel shortage is coming, the US & Europe are once again dependent on hostile nations for energy and Clean Nuclear is unjustly vilified by the media.
As a result, inflation is reaching dangerous levels causing strife in the 1st world & death in the 3rd.

As the original "Ride on Sunshine" promoted Solar & Wind, a 3rd version providing the public with newly revised solutions could have opened up a whole Universe of Energy resources.

The Opportunity Cost of what was opened today is a far-reaching dereliction of duty. Some will say that's not a duty an "entertainment company" should assume, but it IS one that they took on proudly & successfully in past with far fewer resources than they do today.

But, Bob wanted a $ 17-per-ride vacuous vomit-coaster in Epcot tied to a movie-of-the-month from 2014. In getting what he wanted we will all suffer more than anyone can imagine.

And for those that think that's hyperbole I ask you:
Just how much quicker would we get out of this mess if 10K-people-per day were inspired to change the future?

Today is not a day to celebrate the completely meaningless opening of something that barely Entertains, most assuredly does not Inform, and undeniably provides no Inspiration.

It does indeed "Cosmically Rewind" any progress made in the last 65+ yrs of coherent Imagineering.

However, at E82 we are committed to Conserving & CONTINUING the legacy of our Universe of Energy —

In Art, Music, and New Visions for providing sustainable Energy Solutions for the rest of the 21st Century and Beyond!

Universe_of_Energy_original.jpg

MagicHappens1971

Gas prices are soaring, a diesel shortage is coming, the US & Europe are once again dependent on hostile nations for energy and Clean Nuclear is unjustly vilified by the media.
As a result, inflation is reaching dangerous levels causing strife in the 1st world & death in the 3rd.

As the original "Ride on Sunshine" promoted Solar & Wind, a 3rd version providing the public with newly revised solutions could have opened up a whole Universe of Energy resources.

The Opportunity Cost of what was opened today is a far-reaching dereliction of duty. Some will say that's not a duty an "entertainment company" should assume, but it IS one that they took on proudly & successfully in past with far fewer resources than they do today.

But, Bob wanted a $ 17-per-ride vacuous vomit-coaster in Epcot tied to a movie-of-the-month from 2014. In getting what he wanted we will all suffer more than anyone can imagine.

And for those that think that's hyperbole I ask you:
Just how much quicker would we get out of this mess if 10K-people-per day were inspired to change the future?

Today is not a day to celebrate the completely meaningless opening of something that barely Entertains, most assuredly does not Inform, and undeniably provides no Inspiration.

It does indeed "Cosmically Rewind" any progress made in the last 65+ yrs of coherent Imagineering.

However, at E82 we are committed to Conserving & CONTINUING the legacy of our Universe of Energy —

In Art, Music, and New Visions for providing sustainable Energy Solutions for the rest of the 21st Century and Beyond!

View attachment 641990
Is the content of this post sarcastic? Most of it is just satirical to be honest

mergatroid

The post I was replying to claims, among other things, that "Many of the posts about nausea are from the same posters continually bringing it up even though the majority of them haven't experienced the ride yet." This is very much an attempt to downplay or dismiss reports of nausea on CR and is in line with the rest of your post.

I'm not sure exactly what your second sentence means, but yes, Uni has a major ride that is known for causing motion sickness. I'm not sure how this amounts to "loads" or how it pertains to the fact that Cosmic Rewind nauseates enough guests that CMs are literally handing out vomit bags.
Which is true, you may not like it but it's true.

Secondly that link lists rides that can cause motion sickness at Universal as being Spiderman, Storm Force Acceleration, Reign of Kong, Forbidden Journey, Incredible Hulk, Hagrid's, Velocicoaster, Gringotts, Rip Ride Rockit, The Mummy, The Simpsons, Jimmy Fallon, Despicable Me, Twirl and Hurl, and Men In Black. So yes, that amounts to loads.

But you're dismissing my post and this website by replying the way you have, shutting down the conversation as you keep accusing others of doing? These rides make people sick, surely as a poster so keen on talking about rides that can make people sick I'd expect the same way of discussing the problems there? But no, you want to shut that discussion down, ironically what you keep saying people do to you?

So as I've said before I'll refrain from replying to you again (you quoted me after I'd said it was best not to go in circles as we have differing views and it annoys others). You keep making out that you're the victim with claims of people shutting you down all the time, which is complete nonsense. Anyway enjoy saying whatever you like about the ride, you've always had the ability to do that despite your untruths about "The boosters not letting you".

Enjoy your evening.

Casper Gutman

Which is true, you may not like it but it's true.

Secondly that link lists rides that can cause motion sickness at Universal as being Spiderman, Storm Force Acceleration, Reign of Kong, Forbidden Journey, Incredible Hulk, Hagrid's, Velocicoaster, Gringotts, Rip Ride Rockit, The Mummy, The Simpsons, Jimmy Fallon, Despicable Me, Twirl and Hurl, and Men In Black. So yes, that amounts to loads.

But you're dismissing my post and this website by replying the way you have, shutting down the conversation as you keep accusing others of doing? These rides make people sick, surely as a poster so keen on talking about rides that can make people sick I'd expect the same way of discussing the problems there? But no, you want to shut that discussion down, ironically what you keep saying people do to you?

So as I've said before I'll refrain from replying to you again (you quoted me after I'd said it was best not to go in circles as we have differing views and it annoys others). You keep making out that you're the victim with claims of people shutting you down all the time, which is complete nonsense. Anyway enjoy saying whatever you like about the ride, you've always had the ability to do that despite your untruths about "The boosters not letting you".

Enjoy your evening.
You need to start doing other posters the courtesy of responding to what they actually wrote. I explained that any ride can cause motion sickness. Some, like FJ, M:S, and CR are exceptional in this regard for physical reasons I and others have pointed out, causing nausea that is wildly disproportionate to the offered thrills. It would be nice if you acknowledged that a theme park handing out vomit bags is unusual. You might also address the numerous first-hand reports in the other thread of nausea or, literally, vomit covered vehicles, but despite claiming to rely on first-hand opinions, you downplay or dismiss any first-hand opinions that contradict your preferred narrative.

Numerous posters have illustrated how you and others attempt to shut down or delegitimize criticism. You steadfastly refuse to address the specifics of the argument. Pointing out that the list you offered of rides that might cause motion sickness is irrelevant and explaining why this is the case is not trying to shut down debate. It is debate. Suggesting all criticisms come from fatally biased posters not acting in good faith and should be ignored IS trying to delegitimize and shut down debate.

I’ve said positive things about the ride. I didn’t say you were preventing me, I said you refuse to acknowledge what I said because you prefer to caricature and dismiss those who disagree with you. Which you continue to do here.

Patting yourself on the back for being even-handed and protecting these boards while taking backhanded potshots and straw manning other posters is unattractive.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom