News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Casper Gutman

No qualms with your basic point but calling GotG a “movie of the month” is pretty disingenuous for how popular and sustained the IP is.
Yeah, I’m no fan of awkward IP insertion, but GotG and the MCU at large has come to occupy a central and lasting place in pop culture. It’s on the level of a Star Wars or Indy.

Which is why Disney’s handling of the IP in their parks is particularly egregious.

doctornick

I explained that any ride can cause motion sickness. Some, like FJ, M:S, and CR are exceptional in this regard for physical reasons I and others have pointed out, causing nausea that is wildly disproportionate to the offered thrills.
You can continue to make this claim but I don’t think there’s much evidence CR is all that noteworthy in this regard. Certainly not that it will impact the number of people wanting to ride or cause them to change the ride movement.

Most of the reports of feeling nauseous were from people having done multiple rides. Not exactly a typical occurrence once it’s running normally.

Casper Gutman

You can continue to make this claim but I don’t think there’s much evidence CR is all that noteworthy in this regard. Certainly not that it will impact the number of people wanting to ride or cause them to change the ride movement.

Most of the reports of feeling nauseous were from people having done multiple rides. Not exactly a typical occurrence once it’s running normally.
Disney is literally giving guests vomit bags. This has happened once before, with the infamous M:S. This is from a fairly lengthy article ON THIS SITE about how nausea is a problem on CR.

I don't know why folks are acting like this is something I made up.

celluloid

Disney is literally giving guests vomit bags. This has happened once before, with the infamous M:S. This is from a fairly lengthy article ON THIS SITE about how nausea is a problem on CR.

Some people feel attacked personally when you state the facts. Vomit Bags would only be a good if it was some low early 2000s PR Move for a lower tier regional park. It is not a good thing.

Also, to those who say it has only effected re-riders...that would seem odd as for the virtual system they are only allowing one ride per day for most situations.

Allyp

In the Parks
Yes
When you (and others) say look forward, do you mean in the direction the car is facing or in the direction the car is moving down the track?
I try to follow the track with my sight line as much as possible on any attraction that could make me motion sick. In this case for guardians, turn your head to face the track. If I couldn’t do that, I just closed my eyes until I felt we were forward.

That being said, I think the main issue for the motion sickness for this attraction at least for me are looking a screen, not being able to see the track at all times, the rotation of the vehicle, and being in the dark. Those items combined, for me, do have the tendency for motion sickness. That being said, this one is milder for me that being a 100% screen focused attraction like Star Tours or Falcon.

Last edited:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

Hater, you made this all up. 😂

Yet you criticised somebody for judging it from posts on twitter, yet your evidence is from a few posts on WDWmagic.com?

Without going back over every answer I recall most people querying whether they can manage this attraction and asking for comparisons, saying they'd try it out when it was compared to EE but less than R'n'R. I remember very few saying "I won't ride this" or "It's definitely one and done for me" which is what you're claiming enough Epcot visitors will do based on a few posts on here, hmmmm?

So out of all the millions of people who visit Disney every year, you think that the number on here questioning the ride somehow means a large percentage of the general public won't ride it? Many of the posts about nausea are from the same posters continually bringing it up even though the majority of them haven't experienced the ride yet.

At the risk of being accused of being a booster or 'shutting down the discussion', let's look at it logically. Yes people have become sick on this attraction (as happens on many attractions worldwide) and yes, Disney (or any theme park) would prefer nobody to become sick on a ride or refuse to ride it because they feel it too 'wild'. However 'thrill rides' are designed to scare, excite or create fun by moving you in ways that you normally don't move. By doing this there's always going to be a group of people who won't be able to ride without getting sick. My wife won't do Space Mountain or any mountain, does she represent enough of the population that makes all of Disney's mountains something to be laughed at? I'd even go as far as to say that it may cause more issues than expected, however for you to 'shut down' somebody quoting tweets from people saying they had no problem yet using people talking about it on here as factual evidence that a large enough group of people won't ride or will only ride once holds as little validity surely?

Where did I get the $450 million price tag for this ride from? A small handful of people that I trust on these forums who have provided consistently solid information for years. If Twitter is your source of “reliable ride information”, have a magical day, there is zero chance we're going to have a serious discussion.

I never said "Large percentage". You are making things up to fit your narrative. I also never said that people won't ride it based on "a few posts on here". Good day.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
The motion sickness issues should have been resolved well before opening to the public. The kicker here is that it sounds like it's not even the coaster causing it. It's an issue Disney brought on themselves.

I'm thinking the fix is to give riders less stimuli by focusing their gaze to the intended scenes and in the intended direction of travel along the track. To do that Disney needs to address an issue that was brought up during early previews; the ambient lighting of the gravity building and the light being cast from the screens onto the building and coaster track. Fix the lighting so that everything that is intended to be hidden is actually hidden! Make everything that isn't a screen effect or physical set piece (HA!) indistinguishable in the dark. By doing so riders are given only one direction of focus... no more glimpses of track, ceiling tiles, support structure. The only thing that should orient the rider is the scene before them. Of course the caveat to this is if the screen actually works in tandem with the direction of travel. If any scene is incongruous or if the timing is off, etc it could cause the typical conflicts associated with motion sickness. It could be something as simple as a spaceship flying off in a different direction or at a different rate of speed to what riders are traveling along the coaster track. All of this could be address though...

Still, it's a little ridiculous that this is even an issue. Shame on Disney for making yet another mega super ultra E ticket attraction that causes (insert percentage here) of it's riders to succumb to motion sickness. You'd think for (insert amount spent here) they'd have worked out those kinks at the R&D stage. But it's OK cause there's barf bags at the exit!

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Waitasec...

Giving out bags to people who seem to look or feel nauseated, I can see happening.

But, is every single guest getting off CR getting a bag? Are they really handing out over two thousand bags an hour?

Can anyone confirm that upon exiting the ride with big smiles that they were handed a bag anyway?

yensidtlaw1969

Waitasec...

Giving out bags to people who seem to look or feel nauseated, I can see happening.

But, is every single guest getting off CR getting a bag? Are they really handing out over two thousand bags an hour?

Can anyone confirm that upon exiting the ride with big smiles that they were handed a bag anyway?
That they feel the ride need be equipped to pass them out at all is the issue. They’re stocking them because they’re very aware of the likelihood that a significant amount of people may need them.

djkidkaz

The exit is also very strange. Looks you're traversing a backstage hallway the minute you exit the unload station until you're outside.

I agree, there is no theming and it’s like “ok did I exit out the wrong door? Am I in a cast member area?”

I find the whole queue experience underwhelming. You basically stand in a big room with a screen above you with stars on it. Then you see little exhibits in cases, but the large model is cool. The teleportation room is a cool idea and from there the theming gets better. I believe I read somewhere that this was the most expensive attraction WDW had built and I just can’t find where the money went? They used a repurposed building for the queue, outside the attraction is minimal theming, just a star ship that does nothing but have lights on it at night, the exit queue is just plain walls and stairs, on the ride it’s dark so it’s mainly star projections and the moon on a stick. I don’t know, I just don’t see it.

I’m sure it was expensive to build the large building to house the coaster, the wrap around screens inside the ride and uhhh…*shrug*

When I compare this to say FoP which has one of the best queues on property including after you exit and head back into Pandora or what they did with the queue for Rise, I just don’t see it.

I’m not knocking the Guardians ride though, I’ve ridden it numerous times and it’s definitely fun, but the “package” surrounding the ride is definitely lackluster.

It’s like finding a piece of Funfetti cake that is wrapped in newspaper your dog peed on.

djkidkaz

I try to follow the track with my sight line as much as possible on any attraction that could make me motion sick. In this case for guardians, turn your head to face the track. If I couldn’t do that, I just closed my eyes until I felt we were forward.

That being said, I think the main issue for the motion sickness for this attraction at least for me are looking a screen, not being able to see the track at all times, the rotation of the vehicle, and being in the dark. Those items combined, for me, do have the tendency for motion sickness. That being said, this one is milder for me that being a 100% screen focused attraction like Star Tours or Falcon.

This ride definitely causes motion sickness. I’ve ridden it probably 5 or 6 times now, only once have I ridden it back to back. I would say riding back to back is not a good idea for many, it made me feel really queasy. One thing I also noticed is that riding in the front seat made me feel very nauseous as well, but the two times I rode in the back I felt pretty good. I think it’s because you can see the cars in front of you which gives you some sense of direction in where your going or turning. Also, I did ride with someone in our group who vomited halfway through. I felt what I thought was water but then the smell came through and I realized it wasn’t water. That person had to go to the restroom and wait for us to buy them another shirt so they could change, and we had to sit down and rest for awhile afterwards.

I would really be curious to know how well aware they were of the motion sickness problem once they got into the testing phases of this thing. I remember seeing a video of them testing it outside which is a whole different ballgame once you put something like this in the dark. And imagineers had to ride this over and over to get the music right and effects right and the lighting, so I’m sure at some point someone was like “ugh, this is making me woozy”.

Incomudro

Jets literally give riders vomit bags.
There's one on every seat back in front of every passenger.
Some 1.73 million people fly daily, a minute portion of those people feel nauseous - yet the bags are provided.
You're so desperate to disparage the clear success of this ride, that this is your one last gasp to hang on to.

yensidtlaw1969

Jets literally give riders vomit bags.
There's one on every seat back in front of every passenger.
Some 1.73 million people fly daily, a minute portion of those people feel nauseous - yet the bags are provided.
You're so desperate to disparage the clear success of this ride, that this is your one last gasp to hang on to.
There are plenty of valid critiques of this ride - and the need for Vomit Bags is among them.

Refusing to see these points is not the same as successfully countering them.

Joesixtoe

I agree, I think those prone to motion sickness(me) needs to forget the screens and keep your eyes on the track in the direction your going, as to not get disoriented. I wore a motion sickness band, screamed on the ride, took breath mint dissolving strips to breath easier and produce a different sensation to distract me, ate a banana, drank soda and dapped motion sickness stuff behind me ears. I went all out and came off good. However I over thought it, I think you just need to sit back, enjoy the ride, keep your eyes on the track moving forward and don't look around until your feel comfortable enough to do so.

CntrlFlPete

I only rode once, during my ride, I had motion sickness for 3/4 ths of the ride. I do not feel I am prone to motion sickness, I can handle spinning rides. The only simulator I have had an issue on is FoP.

For FoP, there is one part where you go down into the caves, things get a little blurry for me and I get woozy (first time I rode I had a mask on) -- I have since learned to lean forward and use the air flow being provided by the ride vehicle.

For CR, they do have the AC turned way up and the ride itself is creating a breezy, so I did try breathing the fresh air but it did not help like the air vents on FoP -- I do not think I tried closing my eyes, I thought it might just be that I do not like sideways movement.

I do hope to ride again someday, but I almost feel like some on here think people will know before they ride that the ride will make them sick -- I have been on a bunch of rollercoasters and none have made me feel as ill as CR (one backwards section of Everest makes my gut feel the same, but it last a second or two not 3 minutes....

floydbeatle

There are plenty of valid critiques of this ride - and the need for Vomit Bags is among them.

Refusing to see these points is not the same as successfully countering them.
Is it though? I have not ridden the ride yet but hope to do so in June. From what most people say it is a great ride and maybe the best at Disney. As @Incomudro mentioned airplanes all have nasuea bags. I have never had an experience on a plane that required me to use them. I love Mission Space and often wish it was MORE intense. I never experienced the original version, but was the original a fail because people couldn't handle it? I don't know the answer, but IMO having nasuea bags if it is a critique is so minor as to not be a real issue for me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom