News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

yensidtlaw1969

Is it though? I have not ridden the ride yet but hope to do so in June. From what most people say it is a great ride and maybe the best at Disney. As @Incomudro mentioned airplanes all have nasuea bags. I have never had an experience on a plane that required me to use them. I love Mission Space and often wish it was MORE intense. I never experienced the original version, but was the original a fail because people couldn't handle it? I don't know the answer, but IMO having nasuea bags if it is a critique is so minor as to not be a real issue for me.
I'm not saying the ride is a "fail", I'm saying this point is a valid critique.

Consider that in the history of the resort only 2 attractions have ever offered Barf Bags - and that both only started offering them after guests started riding. It's clear the intention was not to make people sick with those rides (because, of course) and the expectation was that they wouldn't . . . and yet this ride clearly is, and enough that they've now factored these bags in as an unplanned expense. You don't do that unless it's clear the problem is worse than you expected. Somewhere, something missed the mark.

Planes are not really a comparable situation for a multitude of reasons.

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC
Premium Member
I agree, I think those prone to motion sickness(me) needs to forget the screens and keep your eyes on the track in the direction your going, as to not get disoriented.
Maybe but with this coaster type the track doesn't orient the rider -- the coaster car itself does. It rotates toward a screen. The car is always forward-facing regardless of what the track is doing. It's the latching onto something for a point of reference that's the likely culprit. The same issue can be explained when passengers in a car might get motion sick when passing trees along a stretch of road. The brain is registering that movement while also trying to process the movement of traveling in the car causing some to get disoriented and sick, myself included. So long as I face forward or in the intended direction of travel -- I'm good. Same with coasters. They don't make me sick. Tea Cups however -- barf city. With regards to Cosmic Rewind; I'm hesitant to ride it now. The inclusion of barf bags being provided at the exit is serious red flag for myself and others prone to motion sickness.

celluloid

Is there a drinking fountain or two in the exit hallway? That often does more than offering a vomit bag. Cold air time and water are the best preventatives and calm down for that most of the time. This has been documented all the way back to early 90s when the ride doctor told Uni putting a water fountain at the exit of Back To The Future:The Ride would save them a lot of trouble.

floydbeatle

I'm not saying the ride is a "fail", I'm saying this point is a valid critique.

Consider that in the history of the resort only 2 attractions have ever offered Barf Bags - and that both only started offering them after guests started riding. It's clear the intention was not to make people sick with those rides (because, of course) and the expectation was that they wouldn't . . . and yet this ride clearly is, and enough that they've now factored these bags in as an unplanned expense. You don't do that unless it's clear the problem is worse than you expected. Somewhere, something missed the mark.

Planes are not really a comparable situation for a multitude of reasons.
Valid critique of my comment on it being a "fail"! :D Your're probably right that Disney did not have any intention of making guests sick. I guess that being the result doesn't bother me as much and I relegate the need for nausea bags to such a minor outcome as not to be worthy of discussion IMO. I think there are more reasons to critique e.g. the ride costs, development time, IP in EPCOT, shoehorning a ride as an out-of-this-world pavilion, etc.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Great tape placement on the opening day Passholder shirt (didn't even notice it though until someone pointed out on my shirt today).

tempImageIDQjnB.jpg

trainplane3

Great tape placement on the opening day Passholder shirt (didn't even notice it though until someone pointed out on my shirt today).

View attachment 642073
Dear god, they just keep stuffing "passholder" onto otherwise nice looking merch. Why do they insist on ruining decent designs with that?

But then again, it was obviously rushed because it wouldn't say *ssholder if they actually reviewed it prior to release. I love how backwards merchandise is handled.

doctornick

Regarding the nausea issue...

I think the main point I and some others have is how some on this thread are (IMHO) blowing the issue out of proportion. I'm not saying it's not "a thing". And it certainly seems to be something more common than Disney expected. However, on the flip side some posters seem to be describing it as something that invalidates the entire ride or suggests it is so egregious that the whole setup needs to be scrapped and start over. I do think it is telling that the same posters seeming to focus on this have a significant overlap with those who have complained about the ride all along (and to be fair vice versa those who defend or minimize it seem to have been consistent defenders). IOW I think there's a lot of confirmation bias going on.

The big question is "how common of a problem is it?" - I don't think we can really answer it at this point. Heck Disney themselves might not really be able to tell though they obviously have better info than us silly message board posters. Eventually information will leak out among the usual sources and we will see how frequent protein spills occur or how much complaints they get. I agree that the barf bags are concerning, but the fact that they appeared opening day makes me feel like they are more of a precaution than an necessity - like this is Disney's way of "covering their butts" to soften any complaints. They know its new ride and they want all the coverage to be positive, so they at least want to try to "nip in the bud" any negative press of Disney isn't doing anything regarding riders getting nauseous.

My gut feeling (ha!) is that as the more people experience the ride, you'll get self selection and a better word of mouth about who can ride and not. And I personally believe that the number of people who can ride roller coasters (Everest/Space/RNR level) but will avoid this will be relatively small. I am skeptical that this is a M:S situation and more akin to Simpsons. But I can stand corrected once more info and experience comes out. I expect Disney's reaction to this to be most likely having some extra warnings at the entrance to the ride as opposed to actually changing anything with how the ride operates.

Finally, the idea that Disney should have anticipated this more seems extremely odd. I'm not sure how they can really tell what will happen with large numbers of different people until they at least have soft openings. Riding an out in the air prototype doesn't tell much about the specifics of this situation. And I would expect that it is uncommon enough that the relatively small number of testers that would have ridden pre softs wouldn't be able to be a significant enough sample size.

In an idea world to me, perhaps Disney will be fine with GotG but feel that Epcot needs a lower intensity more welcoming thrill ride as well to compliment CR and will finally build a Matterhorn-esque Mt. Fuji coater in Japan. Just dreaming....

Last edited:

mergatroid

I think the main point I and some others have is how some on this thread are (I believe) blowing the issue out of proportion. I'm not saying it's not "a thing". And it certainly seems to be something more common than Disney expected. However, on the flip side some posters seem to be describing it as something that invalidates the entire ride or suggests it is so egregious that the how setup needs to be scrapped and start over. I do think it is telling that the same posters seeming to focus on this have a significant overlap with those who have complained about the ride all along (and to be fair vice versa those who defend or minimize it seem to have been consistent defenders). IOW I think there's a lot of confirmation bias going on.

The big question is "how common of a problem is it?" - I don't think we can really answer it at this point. Heck Disney themselves might not really be able to tell though they obviously have better info than us silly message board posters. Eventually information will leak out among the usual sources and we will see how frequent protein spills occur or how much complaints they get. I agree that the barf bags are concerning, but the fact that they appeared opening day makes me feel like they are more of a precaution than an necessity - like this is Disney's way of "covering their butts" to soften any complaints. They know its new ride and they want all the coverage to be positive, so they at least want to try to "nip in the bud" any negative press of Disney isn't doing anything regarding riders getting nauseous.

My gut feeling (ha!) is that as the more people experience the ride, you'll get self selection and a better word of mouth about who can ride and not. And I personally believe that the number of people who can ride roller coasters (Everest/Space/RNR level) but will avoid this will be relatively small. I am skeptical that this is a M:S situation and more akin to Simpsons. But I can stand corrected once more info and experience comes out. I expect Disney's reaction to this to be most likely having some extra warnings at the entrance to the ride as opposed to actually changing anything with how the ride operates.

Finally, the idea that Disney should have anticipated this more seems extremely odd. I'm not sure how they can really tell what will happen with large numbers of different people until they at least have soft openings. Riding an out in the air prototype doesn't tell much about the specifics of this situation. And I would expect that it is uncommon enough that the relatively small number of testers that would have ridden pre softs wouldn't be able to be a significant enough sample size.

In an idea world to me, perhaps Disney will be fine with GotG but feel that Epcot needs a lower intensity more welcoming thrill ride as well to compliment CR and will finally build a Matterhorn-esque Mt. Fuji coater in Japan. Just dreaming....
What an excellent post.

Casper Gutman

I think the main point I and some others have is how some on this thread are (I believe) blowing the issue out of proportion. I'm not saying it's not "a thing". And it certainly seems to be something more common than Disney expected. However, on the flip side some posters seem to be describing it as something that invalidates the entire ride or suggests it is so egregious that the how setup needs to be scrapped and start over. I do think it is telling that the same posters seeming to focus on this have a significant overlap with those who have complained about the ride all along (and to be fair vice versa those who defend or minimize it seem to have been consistent defenders). IOW I think there's a lot of confirmation bias going on.

Do you believe that this website, WDWMagic, is blowing things out of proportion? Because that's where the story to which everyone is responding appeared. The disingenuous game being played here is that most of the defenders (actually, from what I've seen, all of the defenders on the last few pages) are ignoring that story AND are ignoring the first hand reports of nausea on this page and on the spoilers page. Instead, defenders are acting as though this issue is being created or, at least, wildly exaggerated by the usual, negative posters, because it is easier to just delegitimize certain critics and label them as hopelessly biased then to engage with the issue. Its a very familiar but not particularly honest way of trying to avoid dealing with an uncomfortable fact.

We have quite a strong idea of how big a problem this is. They are not taking the exceptional steps of handing out vomit bags because this isn't a problem. The fact that the bags appeared on opening day is indicative of nothing except that the ride makes an unusual number of people ill. Disney has run extensive tests on this ride - we know all about that from this website - and has a very clear idea of what percentage of guests are becoming sick. Just in our relatively small sample size of reactions, we have a disproportionate number of reports of nausea. Anyone denying the problem at this point is going to continue to deny the problem despite any additional evidence.

And the idea that Disney couldn't have anticipated this is absurd. The human body reacts in certain ways to certain situations. There are volumes of literature on motion sickness and its causes. What's more, Disney itself had produced one of the most sickening theme park rides of all time, Mission: Space. Even without any research, the designers should have realized that replicating many of the conditions of that ride might also replicate the negative effects on the human body. To pretend Disney couldn't have foreseen a problem is to take the defense of Disney to incredibly silly lengths.

Last edited:

doctornick

Is there a drinking fountain or two in the exit hallway? That often does more than offering a vomit bag. Cold air time and water are the best preventatives and calm down for that most of the time. This has been documented all the way back to early 90s when the ride doctor told Uni putting a water fountain at the exit of Back To The Future:The Ride would save them a lot of trouble.

Can I just thank you for offering a reasonable reaction to the situation as opposed to crazy hyperbole?

doctornick

This is so odd to me as it never caused me an ounce of trouble. Didn’t even occur to me that it was bothering some. I never once felt nauseous, Star Tours is worse imo.

Yeah, so one of the things that has perplexed me about this is that you have folks who say they get nauseous on other rides say they do fine on CR and others who don't otherwise have problems on rides say they got sick. It seems to be a bit scattered. Although they are related, I tend to thing people who get nauseous on rides seem to fall into the broad categories of being bothered by the motion itself (something like teacups or maybe Forbidden Journey) versus those who have issues with videos and corresponding motion and how your eyes/mind/body reacts to them (people who don't tolerate Simpsons or FoP). I think M:S perhaps has an element of both but probably moreso the former given that you are physically spinning quickly in a circle.

GOTG:CR has elements of both in the the vehicles turn but also that the direction you are facing and video screens not necessarily being the direction you are moving. Also there's the issue of not seeing the track ahead so you can't anticipate the movement. So perhaps kinda unique among theme parks?

I guess what I'm getting at is I wonder if it is even possible to come up with a guideline like "if you tolerate x, you'd be fine with Cosmic Rewind" or "people who get sick on y tend to not do well with Cosmic Rewind".

lazyboy97o

Finally, the idea that Disney should have anticipated this more seems extremely odd. I'm not sure how they can really tell what will happen with large numbers of different people until they at least have soft openings.
How is it odd? Anyone working in ride development should know that moving people in one direct while focusing them in another direction creates disorientation and is a recipe for motion sickness. This isn’t some weird new phenomenon, it’s the basics of moving people around. It’s something every ride design intern should know.

doctornick

How is it odd? Anyone working in ride development should know that moving people in one direct while focusing them in another direction creates disorientation and is a recipe for motion sickness. This isn’t some weird new phenomenon, it’s the basics of moving people around. It’s something every ride design intern should know.
Of course Disney would know and anticipate that some people would get motion sickness. We all knew before this opened that there would be some number of riders that would have issues (or guests that would just avoid it altogether). I'm saying that it would have been difficult to anticipate the percentage of people who would be affected or exactly who would be sensitive to this particular ride as it is seemingly somewhat unique. It sounds like the issues are greater than what they anticipated not that nothing was expected at all.

In fact, as I just was mentioning in my last post, there doesn't seem to be a consistent association of nausea with CR corresponding with other rides. If anyone has seen a pattern I think it would be helpful for folks to know it.

mergatroid

Yeah, so one of the things that has perplexed me about this is that you have folks who say they get nauseous on other rides say they do fine on CR and others who don't otherwise have problems on rides say they got sick. It seems to be a bit scattered. Although they are related, I tend to thing people who get nauseous on rides seem to fall into the broad categories of being bothered by the motion itself (something like teacups or maybe Forbidden Journey) versus those who have issues with videos and corresponding motion and how your eyes/mind/body reacts to them (people who don't tolerate Simpsons or FoP). I think M:S perhaps has an element of both but probably moreso the former given that you are physically spinning quickly in a circle.

GOTG:CR has elements of both in the the vehicles turn but also that the direction you are facing and video screens not necessarily being the direction you are moving. Also there's the issue of not seeing the track ahead so you can't anticipate the movement. So perhaps kinda unique among theme parks?

I guess what I'm getting at is I wonder if it is even possible to come up with a guideline like "if you tolerate x, you'd be fine with Cosmic Rewind" or "people who get sick on y tend to not do well with Cosmic Rewind".
I can see Disney addressing this with stronger warnings if they deem them necessary. There's no doubt that some people have become sick from riding. You or I aren't dismissing it but I genuinely have no idea how many times we have to admit people have been sick or what we are supposed to say to satisfy some on here? You've not denied sickness issues exist, you've addressed the issue and debated from your perspective and yet because you're opinion differs there's some who want to continue attacking you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom