News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

lazyboy97o

Of course Disney would know and anticipate that some people would get motion sickness. We all knew before this opened that there would be some number of riders that would have issues (or guests that would just avoid it altogether). I'm saying that it would have been difficult to anticipate the percentage of people who would be affected or exactly who would be sensitive to this particular ride as it is seemingly somewhat unique. It sounds like the issues are greater than what they anticipated not that nothing was expected at all.

In fact, as I just was mentioning in my last post, there doesn't seem to be a consistent association of nausea with CR corresponding with other rides. If anyone has seen a pattern I think it would be helpful for folks to know it.
Every single ride causes some number of people to become motion sick. The lack of a pattern is meaningless because it doesn’t exist strongly for other rides. Different people react differently. This ride does something that is specifically known to cause issues with a wide variety of people.

doctornick

I can see Disney addressing this with stronger warnings if they deem them necessary. There's no doubt that some people have become sick from riding. You or I aren't dismissing it but I genuinely have no idea how many times we have to admit people have been sick or what we are supposed to say to satisfy some on here? You've not denied sickness issues exist, you've addressed the issue and debated from your perspective and yet because you're opinion differs there's some who want to continue attacking you.

My expectation about what Disney will do is along the same vein - probably change/increase warnings in front of the ride (or in the preshow), maybe some disclaimer on the website description on the ride. Probably some conservative elements like adding water fountains to soon after disembarking as was suggested. At this point, I'm skeptical that Disney will make any dramatic changes to the ride or view the ride as unsuccessful though.

lazyboy97o

Probably some conservative elements like adding water fountains to soon after disembarking as was suggested. At this point, I'm skeptical that Disney will make any dramatic changes to the ride or view the ride as unsuccessful though.
Running new water supply and sewer lines in a built building would be nowhere near conservative. It would be drastic. This is exactly what is meant by downplaying.

Joesixtoe

Maybe but with this coaster type the track doesn't orient the rider -- the coaster car itself does. It rotates toward a screen. The car is always forward-facing regardless of what the track is doing. It's the latching onto something for a point of reference that's the likely culprit. The same issue can be explained when passengers in a car might get motion sick when passing trees along a stretch of road. The brain is registering that movement while also trying to process the movement of traveling in the car causing some to get disoriented and sick, myself included. So long as I face forward or in the intended direction of travel -- I'm good. Same with coasters. They don't make me sick. Tea Cups however -- barf city. With regards to Cosmic Rewind; I'm hesitant to ride it now. The inclusion of barf bags being provided at the exit is serious red flag for myself and others prone to motion sickness.
No matter where the coaster car was facing, I turned to look at the track(besides in reverse lol) to show myself the direction I was actually going. I get the hesitation, cause I'm hesitant on doing it again, even though I was pretty ok riding it.

TrainsOfDisney

Are the screens moving at all? The only attraction that I have trouble on is Harry Potter because the screens and the vehicle don’t move 100% together. I’m fine with rides like spider man and transformers.

I’ll definitely give it a go, just might only ride it once.

Casper Gutman

Are the screens moving at all? The only attraction that I have trouble on is Harry Potter because the screens and the vehicle don’t move 100% together. I’m fine with rides like spider man and transformers.

I’ll definitely give it a go, just might only ride it once.
I'm fairly certain none of the screens move.

I think the clearest correlation will be with people who get sick on Mission: Space, as both place riders inner ear in conflict with their eyes.

Patcheslee

I guess what I'm getting at is I wonder if it is even possible to come up with a guideline like "if you tolerate x, you'd be fine with Cosmic Rewind" or "people who get sick on y tend to not do well with Cosmic Rewind".
That's what I'm wondering as well. Simpsons was the only ride I've ever experienced motion sickness on, of the 2 times riding it was when I was in front row vs back. Soon as I started to feel my eyes crossing and dizzy I looked down the remainder. Spinning rides, coasters, etc. I never experienced that before. I do get vertigo if I look down from the Eiffel Tower at Kings Island vs out to the horizon.

Incomudro

Regarding the nausea issue...

I think the main point I and some others have is how some on this thread are (I believe) blowing the issue out of proportion. I'm not saying it's not "a thing". And it certainly seems to be something more common than Disney expected. However, on the flip side some posters seem to be describing it as something that invalidates the entire ride or suggests it is so egregious that the how setup needs to be scrapped and start over. I do think it is telling that the same posters seeming to focus on this have a significant overlap with those who have complained about the ride all along (and to be fair vice versa those who defend or minimize it seem to have been consistent defenders). IOW I think there's a lot of confirmation bias going on.

The big question is "how common of a problem is it?" - I don't think we can really answer it at this point. Heck Disney themselves might not really be able to tell though they obviously have better info than us silly message board posters. Eventually information will leak out among the usual sources and we will see how frequent protein spills occur or how much complaints they get. I agree that the barf bags are concerning, but the fact that they appeared opening day makes me feel like they are more of a precaution than an necessity - like this is Disney's way of "covering their butts" to soften any complaints. They know its new ride and they want all the coverage to be positive, so they at least want to try to "nip in the bud" any negative press of Disney isn't doing anything regarding riders getting nauseous.

My gut feeling (ha!) is that as the more people experience the ride, you'll get self selection and a better word of mouth about who can ride and not. And I personally believe that the number of people who can ride roller coasters (Everest/Space/RNR level) but will avoid this will be relatively small. I am skeptical that this is a M:S situation and more akin to Simpsons. But I can stand corrected once more info and experience comes out. I expect Disney's reaction to this to be most likely having some extra warnings at the entrance to the ride as opposed to actually changing anything with how the ride operates.

Finally, the idea that Disney should have anticipated this more seems extremely odd. I'm not sure how they can really tell what will happen with large numbers of different people until they at least have soft openings. Riding an out in the air prototype doesn't tell much about the specifics of this situation. And I would expect that it is uncommon enough that the relatively small number of testers that would have ridden pre softs wouldn't be able to be a significant enough sample size.

In an idea world to me, perhaps Disney will be fine with GotG but feel that Epcot needs a lower intensity more welcoming thrill ride as well to compliment CR and will finally build a Matterhorn-esque Mt. Fuji coater in Japan. Just dreaming....
My thoughts nearly exactly.
Look, everything that holds people and moves gets its share of riders who may get motion sick.
From cars, to boats, buses, planes, various rides of all sorts.
Do I think Cosmic Rewind will cause its share of motion sickness?
Sure, and quite possibly in excess of most other Disney rides.
But I'm not going to use that as some sort of proof as a disqualifier - some sort of "gotcha!" the ride's bad, or poorly thought out.
When the dust settles, whatever problem with motion sickness that may lie with the ride will fall somewhere in the mix of rides from WDW and Uni.
In the end, no big deal and the ride will remain tremendously popular.

doctornick

When the dust settles, whatever problem with motion sickness that may lie with the ride will fall somewhere in the mix of rides from WDW and Uni.
This is basically my thought right now. There’s obviously going to be a number of folks who won’t or can’t ride. It clearly seems like it’ll be a greater number than Disney anticipated. But I think it’ll settle into a similar tier as a bunch of other Disney/Uni rides and not be viewed as a significant issue. My expectation is something closer to the tolerance level of Simpsons/FoP than M:S. But we will see.

One thing I don’t anticipate at this point is Disney internally viewing the ride as a failure or problem or any significant changes to be made to the ride experience. The group that views the ride as very smooth and not that intense and, well, fun and unique seems like a significant majority.

Casper Gutman

This is basically my thought right now. There’s obviously going to be a number of folks who won’t or can’t ride. It clearly seems like it’ll be a greater number than Disney anticipated. But I think it’ll settle into a similar tier as a bunch of other Disney/Uni rides and not be viewed as a significant issue. My expectation is something closer to the tolerance level of Simpsons/FoP than M:S. But we will see.

One thing I don’t anticipate at this point is Disney internally viewing the ride as a failure or problem or any significant changes to be made to the ride experience. The group that views the ride as very smooth and not that intense and, well, fun and unique seems like a significant majority.
Logic seems to dictate that it would be closer to M:S, which offers the closest point of comparison. It is the only previous ride (as far as I’m aware) to offer vomit bags to guests. More importantly, it also triggers sickness in a manner very similar to CR, by putting guests inner ears and eyes into opposition. It should also be noted that, even though we have a relatively small number of first-hand reactions on these boards, quite a few describe becoming ill or noting illness in others.

There is no doubt that most guests will NOT become sick on CR. That doesn’t mean it won’t sicken more riders then a well-designed ride should. It’s also an open question as to how many guests will find the sensation of the ride unpleasant even if it doesn’t make them ill - that’s the effect M:S has on me.

In the spirit of full honesty, I wasn’t aware Simpsons was particularly guilty of sickening guests, but I don’t consider that a very well designed ride either and won’t shed many tears when it is finally removed.

lazyboy97o

In the spirit of full honesty, I wasn’t aware Simpsons was particularly guilty of sickening guests, but I don’t consider that a very well designed ride either and won’t shed many tears when it is finally removed.
It’s hard separate personal aging, but I think the motion in those old vehicles has become less fluid and consistent. The Simpsons Ride is almost a parody of a Universal ride in the way it just grabs you and flings you about. It seems the vehicles just aren’t up to the task of keeping up with all of that movement these days. This though is the issue with all simulators. If you’re not diligent with maintenance of the ride mechanisms and synchronization of the ride movement profile you get issues because, as has been stated, moving one way and seeing movement in a different way is a recipe for greater motion sickness.

flyerjab

I have ridden this multiple times now, during pass holder previews and again this weekend. My wife and I both thought that it didn’t seem quite as dark as during the AP weekend previews. I actually thought “are they intentionally playing with light levels so that people are more aware of where the track is to give you more of a sense of the direction you are headed?” Would that help at all 🤷🏻‍♂️

In any event I don’t really care all that much. I find the ride - and I mean from queue to the exit - to be a phenomenal experience. The reveal of the gravity building interior when you whip around from the launch and head down the first decline is a breath-taking moment. There is also a moment when the ride curves downward momentarily, only to ride back upwards again, while I believe the cars do a slow and full rotation through this motion. This is the second moment where I find myself amazed by this ride. The fluidity and silence by which you travel over the track is incredible. The final moment is the last helix that increases in intensity as you spiral down. The cars turn so much at this point that you can actually fist bump the person adjacent to you in the next car. You can really feel it in this part.

Will some get motion sickness? No doubt. Will that impact the amount of people trying to get on this ride over and over again? Nope. This ride is a twisted and spiraling beast of a ride. Timidity did not appear to be at the front of the Imagineers minds when they made this. This isn’t old Epcot any more. This is something else entirely, and I am all there for it. And for the record, I don’t see this fitting in DHS. That park is a rather fun and mindless romp through the movies. This is different in that regard. There is way too much of an attempt at slipping edutainment into this attraction. It is done in a subtle way throughout the queue: the Big Bang; voyager; formation of galaxies, stars, planets, etc. Even the 3D model of Xandar works it in: green energy, educational institutions, etc. Although, I am at this point where I feel most of this flies over the heads of most people. I enjoy it, but so many people now just stare at their phones in lines anymore.

All this being said, the ride is fantastic. Give it a try on your next visit.

Disstevefan1

I am looking forward to riding this.

Will there be some who will not ride, like the folks who won’t ride Everest or Mission Space Orange? Yes, but this is looking like it will be part of now, the top three attractions in EPCOT, along with Sorin’ and Test Track.

I totally understand folks do not like that they themed it to Guardians. I never liked the reskin of Test Track, but I still love to ride it. I prefer the original Sorin’ but I still love to ride todays Sorin’

The World Wide Web killed the original EPCOT Center. There is no longer needs to be a place to show off the latest innoventions. Anyone in the world can see anything in the world with a few keystrokes, or should I say taps.

That said, I sure would like to see those cool new dancing robots live someplace and not just see them in a YouTube video.

Casper Gutman

I am looking forward to riding this.

Will there be some who will not ride, like the folks who won’t ride Everest or Mission Space Orange? Yes, but this is looking like it will be part of now, the top three attractions in EPCOT, along with Sorin’ and Test Track.

I totally understand folks do not like that they themed it to Guardians. I never liked the reskin of Test Track, but I still love to ride it. I prefer the original Sorin’ but I still love to ride todays Sorin’

The World Wide Web killed the original EPCOT Center. There is no longer needs to be a place to show off the latest innoventions. Anyone in the world can see anything in the world with a few keystrokes, or should I say taps.

That said, I sure would like to see those cool new dancing robots live someplace and not just see them in a YouTube video.
In my biased opinion, any list of the best rides at EPCOT that doesn’t start and end with SSE is a bit questionable. After that, the bar is so low that the title is largely meaningless, but I actually don’t doubt that CR will be one of the best rides at EPCOT.

The list of things that folks have claimed “killed EPCOT” is very long - the internet, cell phones, video games, stupid children, etc. It’s all nonsense. What killed EPCOT were a series of awful management decisions, largely fueled by the same ‘this minor cultural change has fundamentally changed everything for ever and that change is absolutely permanent and the future is dead’ silliness I just mentioned. That was compounded by years of underinvestment and neglect that froze a very stupid management decision in time for decades.

The only thing preventing a new or revitalized mission for EPCOT is a total lack of leadership.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom