News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

matt9112

They should just take out the state fair coasters in the dark and get Elon to sponsor a Space X themed smooth modern ride system with planets, stars, moons etc that can be seen.... keep the building pretty much the same, and while there at it..replace the Speedway go carts with mini Tesla's

Or they could just not listen to whatever awful advise that was.

No Name

Ladies and Gentlemen, the most expensive attraction on property:

EDITED To Add: At $400+ Million, does this attraction take the gold for most expensive Disney attraction worldwide?
Apparently Shanghai’s PotC cost $450 million according to something reputable I can’t remember, and then Martin chimed in and said their Tron coaster cost even more.

The latter one is what really worries me, that a lot of the money got lost in red tape and R&D stuff instead of the actual attraction.

SplashJacket

Apparently Shanghai’s PotC cost $450 million according to something reputable I can’t remember, and then Martin chimed in and said their Tron coaster cost even more.

The latter one is what really worries me, that a lot of the money got lost in red tape and R&D stuff instead of the actual attraction.
No way Tron cost more. There’s no reason Tron would cost more, let alone anywhere near, as much as Shanghai Pirates.

yensidtlaw1969

Just looked up those posts:

Tom Morris said Shanghai Pirates clocked in at around $450 mil. Tron would have to be less than that, right? Are you sure your numbers don't involve both coaster projects (the Captain America coaster for DCA?)

MK TRON is cheaper than the Shanghai pirates cost. But, the number is just for the MK.

It seems like the implication is that the price of both TRONs exceeds that of Shanghai's Pirates, not that Shanghai's alone cost more - but either way it's still pretty horrifying. That puts TRON at, what, $200+ Million each? Is that ride really worth twice as much as Expedition: Everest? I know inflation factors, but come on, Disney.

Similarly, I don't expect Cosmic Rewind will be nearly as "visibly expensive" as Shanghai's Pirates - I don't think of Shanghai's Pirates as the unimpeachable high water mark that some seem to think it is, but at least you can tell just by looking at it where the money went. It's still not entirely clear, but it really seems like Cosmic Rewind will be putting much more emphasis on projection domes than on fully-realized practical sets. That's not surprising for an enclosed Coaster, but then what is causing this budget to balloon towards $450 Million dollars??

yensidtlaw1969

Towards? They’ve been trying to get it back below that number.
disgusted new girl GIF

Surferboy567

I think we have a very high shot of hearing when Guardians is going to open officially. Assuming that’s it’s Memorial Day weekend or somewhere around that date. I don’t really tune into these for the news, but their track record shows we are probably going to be getting something. Wonder if they even mention TRON considering how fast that is being constructed.

Posted this over in the discussion for the shareholder’s meeting but it’s definitely relevant here as well.

UNCgolf

I don't think of Shanghai's Pirates as the unimpeachable high water mark that some seem to think it is, but at least you can tell just by looking at it where the money went.

Not to drag this completely off-topic, but just wanted to say that I think you're the first other person I've seen express this opinion here.

I haven't actually been on Shanghai's Pirates, but while it does look cool and the screens are integrated pretty well with physical sets and effects... there's still far too much happening solely on the screen. I don't ride a ride to watch something happen on video in front of me. I'm sure it's fun but it doesn't appear to remotely justify the cost IMO; Disney has built much better rides for less.

Last edited:

No Name

Just looked up those posts:

It seems like the implication is that the price of both TRONs exceeds that of Shanghai's Pirates, not that Shanghai's alone cost more - but either way it's still pretty horrifying. That puts TRON at, what, $200+ Million each? Is that ride really worth twice as much as Expedition: Everest? I know inflation factors, but come on, Disney.

Similarly, I don't expect Cosmic Rewind will be nearly as "visibly expensive" as Shanghai's Pirates - I don't think of Shanghai's Pirates as the unimpeachable high water mark that some seem to think it is, but at least you can tell just by looking at it where the money went. It's still not entirely clear, but it really seems like Cosmic Rewind will be putting much more emphasis on projection domes than on fully-realized practical sets. That's not surprising for an enclosed Coaster, but then what is causing this budget to balloon towards $450 Million dollars??
I read @marni1971 ‘s comment “MK TRON is cheaper than the Shanghai pirates cost. But, the number is just for the MK.” as implying that, on the other hand, Shanghai’s TRON cost more than their Pirates. That’s still how I’m reading it tbh, but maybe I’m inferring too much. But yeah it would be a little more reasonable if they each cost only $200+ million.

I’m hoping there’s some sort of completely mind-boggling draw-dropping earth-shatteringly good aspect of the coaster the money went toward but I’m certainly not expecting it.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I read @marni1971 ‘s comment “MK TRON is cheaper than the Shanghai pirates cost. But, the number is just for the MK.” as implying that, on the other hand, Shanghai’s TRON cost more than their Pirates. That’s still how I’m reading it tbh, but maybe I’m inferring too much. But yeah it would be a little more reasonable if they each cost only $200+ million.

I’m hoping there’s some sort of completely mind-boggling draw-dropping earth-shatteringly good aspect of the coaster the money went toward but I’m certainly not expecting it.
I cant recall what I meant now, it certainly reads odd. AFAIK Shanghai’s Tron didn’t cost more than their Pirates.

RSoxNo1

Tom K Morris put out the Shanghai Pirates price point on the Season Pass podcast. He may have clarified that it was for the ride and the surrounding area.

Internal 5 year plans for the EPCOT evolution included a $450 million price tag for Guardians.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom