News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Schmidt

I’m including rides that are essentially completed and are only waiting on Disney’s preferred financial quarter to open. And since the original point is about Disney’s “new” rides, their inclusion is valid.

The point was about the number of screen-based rides, not subjective judgements of their quality. I think MMRR is pretty close to a masterpiece - it’s still screenbased. So yeah, the point stands - the overwhelming majority of the rides Disney has built recently and is building are screen-based.
Yeah, but MMRR relies on screens. It does rely on some physical sets with the use projectors for mapping images on those sets. I thought they executed these effects extremely well! Unlike what I’ve seen being used in current ride systems. Great attraction in my opinion!

My point is a hybrid of both physical and screen based rides can be an excellent combination when executed well.

_caleb

Well, is this a landing pad (beat up makes sense) or a Xandarian display (should be pristine like in a car showroom)?

I’m guessing the story is that the Guardians stole the ship, got it beaten up, and showed up at Wonders of Xandar, in which case this look makes sense.
I agree. I’d need to see the in-story explanation for why the ship is on display.

And this is the kind of knee-jerk negative reaction I don’t understand. Yes, everyone is entitled to their own opinions. But ”I don’t like the detail” seems like a strange reaction when we don’t yet know the story.

_caleb

The inside of the ship? You want it to look dinged up?
I want it to look lived-in. The Starcruiser backstory is that it's a really old ship that has been restored, but it looks like a new ship. The Star Wars aesthetic has consistently been to have everything look lived-in. I think the artists who did this work on the Nova Corps ship could remedy this.

No Name

I want it to look lived-in. The Starcruiser backstory is that it's a really old ship that has been restored, but it looks like a new ship. The Star Wars aesthetic has consistently been to have everything look lived-in. I think the artists who did this work on the Nova Corps ship could remedy this.
Okay, I just highly doubt more guests would pay for a hotel that looks lived-in. While it’s story-driven, it has to have a real sense of luxury for the price they’re charging, so that was a conscious design decision. It wouldn’t even make sense within the story to be charging people for a luxury space voyage on a newly-restored ship but have it look lived-in.

No Name

This? Do not like. A pavilion supposedly presented by the Xandarian’s and they’re putting a busted up aircraft out front? And if this attraction HAS to be in Epcot, at least make it look sleek and spiffy.
“I wish there was a way to know you’re in the good old days before you’ve actually left them.” - Andy Bernard

267C9D2A-74DB-4ECA-8FB1-B1E906402111.jpeg

_caleb

Okay, I just highly doubt more guests would pay for a hotel that looks lived-in. While it’s story-driven, it has to have a real sense of luxury for the price they’re charging, so that was a conscious design decision. It wouldn’t even make sense within the story to be charging people for a luxury space voyage on a newly-restored ship but have it look lived-in.
It’s not a hotel. It’s a themed environment to facilitate play acting. And one thing fans are saying is that it feels a bit plastic and new when it’s supposed to have a long history.

Paint jobs like what we see here in front of GotG can make something look beat-up, but they can also make things appear to be made of higher quality materials than they actually are, and make things seem older than they are. That’s what I mean.

sedati

Bespin? Tantive IV? Every Imperial base or ship? All pristine for the most part in line with the Starcruiser.

In the original trilogy what you're thinking of is mostly Tatooine, the Falcon, and the Rebel ships/equipment. Endor, Hoth, Dagobah, and Yavin are just natural environments.

No Name

It’s not a hotel. It’s a themed environment to facilitate play acting. And one thing fans are saying is that it feels a bit plastic and new when it’s supposed to have a long history.

Paint jobs like what we see here in front of GotG can make something look beat-up, but they can also make things appear to be made of higher quality materials than they actually are, and make things seem older than they are. That’s what I mean.
Have you never seen a 60 year old building with an interior renovated to look like it was built yesterday? Happens all the time, and we can assume the same happened here. I do agree some things could look less plasticy, but that could be achieved without making it look worn.

Bottom line is for people to drop $6,000 I think they need the place they’re sleeping to look clean and modern.

_caleb

Bespin? Tantive IV? Every Imperial base or ship? All pristine for the most part in line with the Starcruiser.

In the original trilogy what you're thinking of is mostly Tatooine, the Falcon, and the Rebel ships/equipment. Endor, Hoth, Dagobah, and Yavin are just natural environments.
I’m familiar with the settings of the films and shows. I’ve been posting about this in the Starcruiser thread.
Have you never seen a 60 year old building with an interior renovated to look like it was built yesterday? Happens all the time, and we can assume the same happened here. I do agree some things could look less plasticy, but that could be achieved without making it look worn.

Bottom line is for people to drop $6,000 I think they need the place they’re sleeping to look clean and modern.
I have seen plenty of renovated buildings. I don’t think they should make it look dirty or worn.

Happy to discuss this further in the Starcruiser thread if you’re interested.

Incomudro

Well, if it was a really well done restoration - it'd look essentially all new.

Haymarket2008

Really interested to see the lighting package for the exterior of this attraction. I had read that the Spaceship Earth lights were a point of concern for the people working on Guardians' lighting.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom