News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Marc Davis Fan

If [NRJ] were in a park with more content elsewhere and regularly had <20 minute wait times, I don’t think people would feel as let-down. The current wait is 105 min. FoP is 115 min. Can you imagine only waiting 10 min less for NRJ? That queue for almost 2 hours followed by a C-ticket boat ride? That could be a day-ruiner.

As an alternative, how would we feel if we waited 105 minutes for Gran Fiesta Tour?

I think people massively underestimate the impact that wait times can have on guests' perceptions of the actual attractions (even when guests don't realize the impact consciously).

For example, during the FP+ era, when I would take first-timer friends to DAK, I always got our FP+ for NRJ and then waited in the much longer standby queue for FoP. And my friends consistently loved both attractions. If we'd have waited in the standby queue for NRJ, I'm certain their reactions would've been completely different.

Disney should never have approved the development of such a low-capacity attraction as NRJ in a park so lacking in ride capacity. It should've been designed to accommodate boats that were at least double the size, even if that impacted the ride experience (e.g., not feeling as intimate).

One brilliant solution they've started employing for e-tickets, however, is creating an extended payoff via the attraction being a "multi-part experience." If I'm going to wait 2+ hours for an attraction, I'll be a lot more satisfied with the 15+ minutes constituting the RotR experience, rather than even the most wonderful 4-minute experience (e.g., IJA or the like). This doesn't solve the issue of minor attractions with long waits, but it surely does help with guest satisfaction about wait times in general. I really, really hope Disney sees this and continues building attractions that offer truly engaging multi-part experiences.

ToTBellHop

I think people massively underestimate the impact that wait times can have on guests' perceptions of the actual attractions (even when guests don't realize the impact consciously).

For example, during the FP+ era, when I would take first-timer friends to DAK, I always got our FP+ for NRJ and then waited in the much longer standby queue for FoP. And my friends consistently loved both attractions. If we'd have waited in the standby queue for NRJ, I'm certain their reactions would've been completely different.

Disney should never have approved the development of such a low-capacity attraction as NRJ in a park so lacking in ride capacity. It should've been designed to accommodate boats that were at least double the size, even if that impacted the ride experience (e.g., not feeling as intimate).

One brilliant solution they've started employing for e-tickets, however, is creating an extended payoff via the attraction being a "multi-part experience." If I'm going to wait 2+ hours for an attraction, I'll be a lot more satisfied with the 15+ minutes constituting the RotR experience, rather than even the most wonderful 4-minute experience (e.g., IJA or the like). This doesn't solve the issue of minor attractions with long waits, but it surely does help with guest satisfaction about wait times in general. I really, really hope Disney sees this and continues building attractions that offer truly engaging multi-part experiences.
Absolutely. This would have been a great place to develop a boat system that loads like PeopleMover. I’m assuming bigger boats couldn’t be accommodated or didn’t work with the look, so just load them faster!

But, I know there were already well past the budget, so we got what we got. Now, the only fix is more rides.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Film crew recording for a Guardians of the Galaxy promo. Overheard script still not mentioning specific dates, beyond summer 2022.

IMG_1499.jpeg

gorillaball

Haven't been on it yet... there's a tornado?! Definitely taking my weather geek on it next year lol
There is a tornado indeed, and I kind of like it, although the fact the ride vehicles don't go on both sides of it makes it feel like it's not fully capturing the technology opportunity in that spot. Could have even had them do a spin around the tornado... oh well. Probably a logical reason, maybe there physically isn't enough space, not sure - just feels like a B result when the opportunity in that room could have produced and A

ToTBellHop

There is a tornado indeed, and I kind of like it, although the fact the ride vehicles don't go on both sides of it makes it feel like it's not fully capturing the technology opportunity in that spot. Could have even had them do a spin around the tornado... oh well. Probably a logical reason, maybe there physically isn't enough space, not sure - just feels like a B result when the opportunity in that room could have produced and A
Exactly. I get that the gag is meant to poke fun at their inability to get the tornado to work for GMR but this one just isn’t impactful enough. For me, it’s the visuals. It’s windy enough to blow your hat off in there, so that’s fine.

gorillaball

Do they still have the drummer, walk-around robot, etc?

Given that the next film is in the water a lot, I can imagine a cool walk-through that wouldn’t really take up much space with “aquaria” showing aquatic animals seen in the film. If executed like the new “tank” on Jurassic Park River Adventure in Hollywood, it wouldn’t take up much space, lighting could be controlled, and it would nicely add to the land. There’s not a ton of space but with that execution, it could follow a path like this:

I think there is a ton of space (blue), unless you were intentionally excluding for alternate use... what I thought was once for the possibility of the 3rd ride then deferred to expansion pad.

1646418658317.png

ToTBellHop

I think there is a ton of space (blue), unless you were intentionally excluding for alternate use... what I thought was once for the possibility of the 3rd ride then deferred to expansion pad.

View attachment 625416
Yes, I was saving that for a ride. If the next couple movies actually come out and do well, I’m sure we will see movement here.

And here comes Jim Cameron to announce another delay in 5…4…3…

James J

In the Parks
No
Yes, I was saving that for a ride. If the next couple movies actually come out and do well, I’m sure we will see movement here.

And here comes Jim Cameron to announce another delay in 5…4…3…
The President of 20th Century Studios committed to the December 16th release date in a new interview with THR, so here's hoping it'll finally see the light of day!

_caleb

The President of 20th Century Studios committed to the December 16th release date in a new interview with THR, so here's hoping it'll finally see the light of day!

Release dates in general are very slippery these days. And on a film by Mr. Titanic? I won’t believe it until I’m sitting in the cinema.

RSoxNo1

I'm not really sure what the solution would be for Na'vi River Journey short of getting another load / unload area and dispatching 3 boats at once.

Does anyone know if similar actions significantly increased capacity at Splash Mountain or was there a bit of diminishing returns? Perhaps a question for Hank Lonely? @lentesta

UNCgolf

I agree that it is meant to be like Gran Fiesta Tour. If it were in a park with more content elsewhere and regularly had <20 minute wait times, I don’t think people would feel as let-down. The current wait is 105 min. FoP is 115 min. Can you imagine only waiting 10 min less for NRJ? That queue for almost 2 hours followed by a C-ticket boat ride? That could be a day-ruiner.

As an alternative, how would we feel if we waited 105 minutes for Gran Fiesta Tour?

But, please Disney, take your time on Everest, Nemo, and any sort of replacement for Primeval Whirl and RoL. It’s not as though DAK is desperate for capacity.

I've argued the same thing -- I've always felt a big part of the issue people have with NRJ is the wait time. If it had 20-30 minute waits, I'd ride it several times in a day, but waiting an hour and a half for it is absurd. It's not that kind of attraction.

lentesta

Premium Member
I'm not really sure what the solution would be for Na'vi River Journey short of getting another load / unload area and dispatching 3 boats at once.

Does anyone know if similar actions significantly increased capacity at Splash Mountain or was there a bit of diminishing returns? Perhaps a question for Hank Lonely? @lentesta

Ha! Thank you for the Hank reference.

I don't know the answer, but I know who to ask. Let me do that and I'll get back to you.

ToTBellHop

This? Do not like. A pavilion supposedly presented by the Xandarian’s and they’re putting a busted up aircraft out front? And if this attraction HAS to be in Epcot, at least make it look sleek and spiffy.
Well, is this a landing pad (beat up makes sense) or a Xandarian display (should be pristine like in a car showroom)?

I’m guessing the story is that the Guardians stole the ship, got it beaten up, and showed up at Wonders of Xandar, in which case this look makes sense.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom