News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

gorillaball

Since they are building using cash, it tends to look better on the books and the Wall St folks if they spread the construction costs out over as many quarters as possible.
Says some people, other people think that theory is a bunch of hogwash (myself included), but that has been discussed and everyone is settled in their viewpoints. Carrying on...

No Name

The original concept art had a second, thicker fin on the bottom, making it appear that the ship could stand on its own in a natural, parked position. Why would they not do that?

Disnutz311

Disney World Purist
The original concept art had a second, thicker fin on the bottom, making it appear that the ship could stand on its own in a natural, parked position. Why would they not do that?
Because it was cheaper to use this big steel support and us common theme park people won't care/notice. The fin will not hide 60% of the support. They took the cheap way out. Welcome to the new Imagineering.

The OG Imagineering would have figured out how to make that float!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Rich Brownn

They should never have kept the original building. It’s a cheap play for nostalgia, a cynical attempt by the people who destroyed great old rides (note: UoE wasn’t great) to continue to profit off them - just like the constant exploitation of Figment. Seeing a mediocre ride stuffed into the corpse of WoM doesn’t make me feel warm and fuzzy, it reminds me of how unforgivably far EPCOT has fallen. Just have the guts to rip it all out.
You get a break on permit fees when you retain part (or all) of a building too.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
"I swear, Orlando County Tax Assessor, it was just a small renovation!"
Word on the street is that there is a WalMart, Home Depot, or something of a similar ilk, etc in north Florida that was built using about 20' of a wall from an old convenience store. That little trick saved them 6 figures.

I have personally been involved in single-family homes that were in the 7 digit range that incorporated a small portion of an existing structure to do the same thing. The savings were not as huge (high 4 low 5 figures) but it happens all the time.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Word on the street is that there is a WalMart, Home Depot, or something of a similar ilk, etc in north Florida that was built using about 20' of a wall from an old convenience store. That little trick saved them 6 figures.

I have personally been involved in single-family homes that were in the 7 digit range that incorporated a small portion of an existing structure to do the same thing. The savings were not as huge (high 4 low 5 figures) but it happens all the time.
Yeah, right from the announcement of this project, insiders have said that saving the skin of the building (if indeed any of it was truly saved and it's not a case of The Skin of Theseus) was a tax incentive.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Yeah, right from the announcement of this project, insiders have said that saving the skin of the building (if indeed any of it was truly saved and it's not a case of The Skin of Theseus) was a tax incentive.
It is a pretty common thing especially in commercial construction where the impact fees, permit fees and taxes get to pretty insane levels.

I tend to agree with the remodel trick when it comes to single-family homes. Not so much with large-scale comercial construction as commercial construction has a pretty large impact on the infrastructure that the impact fees they are side stepping are supposed to pay for.

ToTBellHop

While I know this is sarcasim...no. Just, no.
1643208837741.gif

lazyboy97o

It’s super refreshing seeing how quickly the ship is going up! Hopefully that means landscaping will happen just as fast, and the exterior can wrap up so some more walls can come down :)
They’re bolting steel pipes together over several days. That’s not really quick. It’s not being dragged out over some ridiculous time but it’s not some surprising pace.

ctrlaltdel

It’s super refreshing seeing how quickly the ship is going up! Hopefully that means landscaping will happen just as fast, and the exterior can wrap up so some more walls can come down :)
It's always surprising to me how fast landscaping comes together on attractions/lands. It's really not a ton of intensive work once you have all the materials but it's probably on the single biggest visual thing that is done in such a short amount of time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom