News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Horizons1

It's hard to deny the ambition behind Mission: Space and, on paper, it seems like the perfect Epcot attraction.

In practice, though, I don't think the experience lived up to the ambition. It's too intense for a lot of people and the experience somehow isn't as awe inspiring as it should be. Not sure I'd ever go on it again, but I do get why others would feel differently.

It’s kinda funny when you realize that the entirety of MS was originally just the preshow for a different version, and much larger version, of the space pavilion.

sedati

That, and also the fact that it replaced arguably the best dark ride ever built leaves a bit of a black stain it's had to live with it's entire existence.
I'd personally put the original Journey to Imagination ahead of it. I think one thing Horizons had going against it was being late to the party and bringing more of the same. The park was filled with slow-moving dark rides, and while certainly one of the best, it was yet another. Epcot needed a variety of experiences. Instead of standing on its own, the ride's theme was basically a sample platter of what Future World already or would soon offer. Acting as the mission statement for Future World, I think Horizons (or Century 3) should have been an opening day attraction positioned at the entrance.

Mickeynerd17

I'd personally put the original Journey to Imagination ahead of it. I think one thing Horizons had going against it was being late to the party and bringing more of the same. The park was filled with slow-moving dark rides, and while certainly one of the best, it was yet another. Epcot needed a variety of experiences. Instead of standing on its own, the ride's theme was basically a sample platter of what Future World already or would soon offer. Acting as the mission statement for Future World, I think Horizons (or Century 3) should have been an opening day attraction positioned at the entrance.
I understand your point, hence why I said arguably, but I would have to argue that there was more physical detail in the scenes of Horizons than in Imagination. Also, Horizons as a ride system actually worked reliably. Imagination, as I have heard, was always a breath away from breaking down.

sedati

I understand your point, hence why I said arguably, but I would have to argue that there was more physical detail in the scenes of Horizons than in Imagination. Also, Horizons as a ride system actually worked reliably. Imagination, as I have heard, was always a breath away from breaking down.
In all my many rides on Imagination I'd never been evacuated or even recall seeing it down. I remember stopping temporarily, but the same could be said for the other, especially Spaceship Earth. Still, it was a complex system and I've no doubt it had problems as reported.
Horizons had plenty of minimalist sets during the looking back at the past segment. While the later scenes were incredibly well done, there was something distancing about how the ride system was set up. You weren't as immersed due to the floating box design. The other pavilions offered a more 360 degree experience with their open-top omni-movers as opposed to Horizon's 180.

Last edited:

Mickeynerd17

In all my many rides on Imagination I'd never been evacuated or even recall seeing it down. I remember stopping temporarily, but the same could be said for the others, but most especially Spaceship Earth. Still, it was a complex system and I've no doubt it had problems as reported.
Horizons had plenty of minimalist sets during the looking back at the past segment. While the later scenes were incredibly well done, there was something distancing about how the ride system was set up. You weren't as immersed due to the floating box design. The other pavilions offered a more 360 degree experience with their open-top omni-movers as opposed to Horizon's 180.
Well, I'm going off of the videos I've found because I was unlucky enough to not exist until 4 years after it closed. 5 for Imagination, and also it sounds like you actually rode both, so your probably more right than me.

I'm a bit of a Horizons fan, so I'm biased 🤣

dreday3

Late to the party? It opened one year later...

I was lucky enough to be at Epcot the opening October and then the next year for Horizons.

I still watch grainy videos of it and get a lump in my throat. That will always be the ride I miss the most.

ChewbaccaYourMum

I was too young and can't honestly remember ever going on Horizons. I really wish I could have experienced all these older Epcot rides so I can understand the passion more and why people are so upset with the direction Epcot is taking.

Everytime I watch videos on Horizons I feel like I can't understand or hear what's happening. Can anyone point me to a link maybe of a great ride through video on youtube with good audio and quality?

sedati

The score for the Omnimax segment of Horizons is probably my favorite theme park score of all time and I listen to it often. My favorite segment that probably doesn't come across as well in video is the sequence where we enter the space station and see the concept of a gravity wheel realized with houses and lakes curving up and away in a manner that defies earthern logic and excites the imagination:
Horizons is dearly missed, but I wish it didn't look so dated so fast, and I wish there was a longer than three minute wait in all the many times I rode it so the beancounters could have better justified an upgrade over replacement.

Last edited:

dreday3

I was too young and can't honestly remember ever going on Horizons. I really wish I could have experienced all these older Epcot rides so I can understand the passion more and why people are so upset with the direction Epcot is taking.

Everytime I watch videos on Horizons I feel like I can't understand or hear what's happening. Can anyone point me to a link maybe of a great ride through video on youtube with good audio and quality?

Horizons perfectly captured the optimism and excitement for what could be, at least during that time. It was the early 80s and as a kid the future just seemed like it was going to be so amazing. I remember getting off the ride thinking "wow...", I could live underwater.

For me, it was the embodiment of everything I love about WDW.

sedati

Certainly your fist stop for anything Epcot:

Martin not only does amazing and complete ride-throughs, his collection of concept art and construction imagery never fails to impress.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Well, I'm going off of the videos I've found because I was unlucky enough to not exist until 4 years after it closed. 5 for Imagination, and also it sounds like you actually rode both, so your probably more right than me.

It was a beauty... it really was. Thankful for @marni1971 tribute to bring me back to that special time 👍

UNCgolf

Journey into Imagination was tremendous and one of the best rides at WDW, but Horizons was better.

Future World consisted of some of the best attractions that WDW has ever built, including everything added up to the present. If I was making a top 20 list of the best rides ever at WDW, I think every single original Future World ride would be in that list, and the top 3 would all be from there (Horizons, Spaceship Earth, and Imagination).

Last edited:

EricsBiscuit

To me, the ride itself is astounding. Everything around it is fairly underwhelming, and I'd be all for an upgrade there. Sad thing is most people I know won't ever ride it, not even once. My secret wish is for them to program in a "Red" version where they really show what the system can do.
What would a red version entail?

Mickeynerd17

Journey into Imagination was tremendous and one of the best rides at WDW, but Horizons was better.

Future World consisted of some of the best attractions that WDW has ever built, including everything added up to the present. If I was making a top 20 list of the best rides ever at WDW, I think every single original Future World ride would be in that list, and the top 3 would all be from there (Horizons, Spaceship Earth, and Imagination).
Agreed

Imagination would be higher in the list if it actually worked properly, and might have not been as trashed in an update too. The ride system was, and still very much is, terrible to hear. All the clanking sounds like screws are popping loose.

The only thing similar is Spaceship Earth, but that's because the track has never been replaced in its service life.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom