News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Marc Davis Fan

Advertisement
The more pictures I see from various angles, I am starting to come to the conclusion that NOT theming the BBB was the right decision (and may have been more of a conscious decision and not simply cost cutting).

Once the decision was made to build this ride in this location, there is no theming that could have been incorporated into the building that would not have distracted from SSE. If you put Tower of Terror next to SSE, it would draw the eye away and compete for attention. A space age / futuristic looking building would do the same thing. Why compete with the park icon. You can't hide a building that big with trees.

So, the best way to hide a large building is to put it out in the open. Driving to WDW or though any large city, we see warehouses and large industrial buildings all of the time. Power plants, water towers, utility poles, and other infrastructure. We have been conditioned to no longer notice these items.

When arriving at the park, the BBB sits off to the side. Most people will not realize it is part of EPCOT and their minds will dismiss it. Once you come into view of SEE, that is what will draw your attention. This large shinny golf ball, THAT is EPCOT. While you will be able to see the building from within the park, it will appear as if it is an industrial warehouse outside of the park. For most people, our minds will ignore it because that is what we are conditioned to do. The more that is done to disguise the building, the more it will stand out.

I think we all agree that it would have been better to build a ride that would not create a visual intrusion. But now that it is there, not hiding it might end up being the best (least objectionable) decision.
I think you're right that the current route is better than theming the gravity building and thus bringing more attention to it.

However, if they had made the launch tunnel longer (e.g., a pre-launch slow portion that travels partway to the gravity building, like on The Mummy), they could have put the Big Blue Box farther away, which would have made it even less intrusive.

And if they were willing to spend the money, they could have constructed a forested berm in between the park and the gravity building, so that it's more obscured by trees (even if not completely, that would go a long way toward making your eyes pass over it).

egg

No casual visitor I have visited the parks with has ever pointed out a visible show building to me, except one time, the back side of Everest from the top of Blizzard Beach, and one time, the RnRC building.

The Big Blue Box is very very visible from so many places. And about a dozen people have asked me about it, and not in a good way. It’s very visible from the Riviera, the Skyliner, the monorail, many places throughout the park, etc. It’s unbelievable. The Tron building hurts a few previously great sight lines but the GotG building is particularly bad. It is arguably the most obtrusive structure ever built at a theme park.

Surferboy567

It is arguably the most obtrusive structure ever built at a theme park.
Should I tell them about the birthday cake castle? Or the hat? Or literally any six flags park that couldn’t even care about theming their non existent show buildings.

Surferboy567

No, since one was temporary, one was unobtrusive albeit misplaced, and the others are in amusement parks, not theme parks.
I can agree with you on two of them. That hat obstructed the view of the Chinese theater for years.

This is also from someone who grew up with the hat...so I don’t harbor any hate for it.

egg

I can agree with you on two of them. That hat obstructed the view of the Chinese theater for years.
I said obtrusive not obstructive. Regardless, the hat obstructed a singular view, and love it or hate it, was intended to be a visually appealing and merchandisable structure. The GotG building is very visible from many key places yet is not intended to be seen.

Are you defending the GotG building by pointing out that they’ve made other mistakes?

Last edited:

michmousefan

Personally, I find the solar panels just insulting.

"Hey look, we're putting up solar panels just like the Universe of Energy had!!!! See, we get it!!! Even though that ride was about sources of power and this is about comic book characters and a roller coaster, it fits into Epcot because...um...see solar panels!!!"

So pandering.
Well, why don't you wait until the entire story of the attraction is known? At The Epcot Experience, the attraction is being promoted as a visit to an "embassy" from the Xandarians... perhaps part of the story is that they are operating their facility with power from our sun, maybe similar to how they operate on their own homeworld. Only after we get inside does it cease to be a visit to the embassy... and then Something Goes Horribly Wrong.

RobWDW1971

Well, why don't you wait until the entire story of the attraction is known? At The Epcot Experience, the attraction is being promoted as a visit to an "embassy" from the Xandarians... perhaps part of the story is that they are operating their facility with power from our sun, maybe similar to how they operate on their own homeworld. Only after we get inside does it cease to be a visit to the embassy... and then Something Goes Horribly Wrong.
Sure, why not. It's a perfect fit.

Surferboy567

I said obtrusive not obstructive. Regardless, the hat obstructed a singular view, and love it or hate it, was intended to be a visually appealing and merchandisable structure. The GotG building is very visible from many key places yet is not intended to be seen.

Are you defending the GotG building by pointing out that they’ve made other mistakes?
I’m not defending the building. I agree, however I think it’s a little extreme to call it the

most obtrusive structure ever built at a theme park.

Surferboy567

I said “arguably.” If you want to argue that, perhaps name something more obtrusive, and perhaps we’ll have a real discussion.
I’m sorry for misreading your comment. Admittedly, I’m having a hard time coming up with more visually obstructive structures.

Besides in Uni being able to see Simpsons from Diagon, and various other theming problems. But you can argue these aren't single structures.

lazyboy97o

I’m sorry for misreading your comment. Admittedly, I’m having a hard time coming up with more visually obstructive structures.

Besides in Uni being able to see Simpsons from Diagon, and various other theming problems. But you can argue these aren't single structures.
Where in Diagon Alley is the much older Simpsons building visible?

Top Bottom