News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Rich Brownn

The festivals are really the only thing propping it up, right now and keeping it above Uni...You are looking at a park that was light on attractions in its golden age. Right now, over half of FW is a construction yard and Frozen is the anchor of WS. If the locals didn't turn out for F&W, current Epcot would sit on the bottom quarter of the Top 10 attendance list.
It was light on attractions because each attraction lasted 12 to 15 minutes or more...

britain

A lot.
The whole front building is pre show and queu.
The ride portion of the coaster takes place in the giant blue box.

So… Now that rise of the resistance has raised the bar... do we know if the preshow’s for Guardians will be anything special? Like a mini-ride on the way to the big ride?

Chris767

So… Now that rise of the resistance has raised the bar... do we know if the preshow’s for Guardians will be anything special? Like a mini-ride on the way to the big ride?

I think they kinda need to be. Honestly as much as I love the ROTR ride the thing that was the most game changing to me was how the preshows enhance the experience and how none of them feel skippable unlike other rides. GOTG needs to do the same imo.

Bender123

It was light on attractions because each attraction lasted 12 to 15 minutes or more...

Were they, though? Or are you confusing a complete queue/attraction/post show integration?

People tend to get this weird misconception about EPCOT "ride length" when its not really accurate...
Spaceship Earth, Living with the Land and World of Motion were the only 10+ minute "rides". UoE was 39 minutes of preshow and stationary movie watching surrounding 6 minutes of "ride".

In 1982, Railroad, TTA, Jungle Cruise, Small World, Mission to Mars and 20k were all greater than 10 minutes, with a much greater concentration of lower time attractions.

If you are talking shows...they match up fairly evenly.

Yeah...Epcot had more long "experiences" but it did not have some epic glut of long ride experiences.

Rich Brownn

Were they, though? Or are you confusing a complete queue/attraction/post show integration?

People tend to get this weird misconception about EPCOT "ride length" when its not really accurate...
Spaceship Earth, Living with the Land and World of Motion were the only 10+ minute "rides". UoE was 39 minutes of preshow and stationary movie watching surrounding 6 minutes of "ride".

In 1982, Railroad, TTA, Jungle Cruise, Small World, Mission to Mars and 20k were all greater than 10 minutes, with a much greater concentration of lower time attractions.

If you are talking shows...they match up fairly evenly.

Yeah...Epcot had more long "experiences" but it did not have some epic glut of long ride experiences.
Nope, the actual rides were 12-15 minutes in length - Horizons, World of Motion, Imagination were all that long. (Energy was a total of 45 minutes including pre-show). Of the ones who survive from 1982 - Spaceship Earth (15 minutes) and Living With The Land (14 minutes) remain. Coupled with the Future World shows (Kitchen Cabaret, Magic Journeys) you could spend a good chunk of time before moving on. And if you're going to write off UoE as a show - you can eliminate Mars/Moon (it was literally a circular theater) and TTA and Railroad are really just transport ideas/rides not really a ride per se.

For Future World, the post-show was Communicore. Which also took up a bt of time.

Bender123

32 definably distinct attractions - and not counting individual hands on exhibits within exhibit areas - some of which needed 15,30,45 minutes or more each to experience.

It didn’t do badly in the late 80s and early 90s for things to do

Point being it wasn't "rides" that make Epcot what we remember. It was some long form rides that were seamlessly integrated with queue, rides, hands on and entertainment that made it memorable. There were long experiences, like American Adventure, but the fact that you had a 20+ minute show, combined with a preshow of live songs by a choir in a museum like setting makes the actual show seem more fleshed out than it is.

WoM would be a good ride, but the Transcenter post shows made it go from a great 15 minute ride, to a one hour experience. Same goes for Imagination and Magic Journeys/Image Works. The rides were classics, but they were raised up by their complete and immersive theming and activity.

I seriously doubt UoE would be as well remembered if you walked into theater one, watched the movie, walked into the dino rooms to board an Omni, walked into theater 2, watched another movie and then exited.

Oddly, RotR feels like the most "Epcot" complete experience at Disney in the past 30 years. The ride is just part of the experience.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Point being it wasn't "rides" that make Epcot what we remember. It was some long form rides that were seamlessly integrated with queue, rides, hands on and entertainment that made it memorable. There were long experiences, like American Adventure, but the fact that you had a 20+ minute show, combined with a preshow of live songs by a choir in a museum like setting makes the actual show seem more fleshed out than it is.
Nope. I didn’t even know of the singers until 2001. My numbers are based on what was available and what I personally experienced.

And of course official figures.

I didn’t mention rides. You did. Is the Tiki Room a ride? Carousel of Progress? EPCOT Center never advertised itself as a park of rides and didn’t need to. That’s what made it even better.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Exactly. It’s ambiguous.

There was a damn sight more to do in EPCOT Centers hey day than in 2001. Or 2016. Or today. Or in 2022. And for how much a day by then? There was far more to do for far less money.
But beer.
Quite true. The problem is only exasperated when a 30 minute attraction is replaced with a 5 minute thrill ride.

rle4lunch

I can't exactly blame Disney for ditching (mostly) and/or homogenizing the edutainment piece of their Epcot attractions. I mean how in the hell could they keep up with a relevant edutainment attraction without it being outdated in a year or two? I think that they could offer more basic STEM stuff that is the building blocks of innovation and what we use to compete a vision or idea, but I'm not taking my kids to Epcot to learn Trig or Statistical analysis. I'm taking them there to escape the reality tv, social media, ultra polarized, way too sensitive outside world that is rapidly turning into a giant sh*t show because no one knows how to hold a conversation with another human being anymore without being offended by their opinion.

Do I agree with a lot of what Disney is doing? No. But there are fewer and fewer options for where i can take my family for escapism. we camp, visit museums and zoos, go to the beach when possible, and state/county fairs when they're in town.

anyway. sorry for the rant.

Rich Brownn

I can't exactly blame Disney for ditching (mostly) and/or homogenizing the edutainment piece of their Epcot attractions. I mean how in the hell could they keep up with a relevant edutainment attraction without it being outdated in a year or two? I think that they could offer more basic STEM stuff that is the building blocks of innovation and what we use to compete a vision or idea, but I'm not taking my kids to Epcot to learn Trig or Statistical analysis. I'm taking them there to escape the reality tv, social media, ultra polarized, way too sensitive outside world that is rapidly turning into a giant sh*t show because no one knows how to hold a conversation with another human being anymore without being offended by their opinion.

Do I agree with a lot of what Disney is doing? No. But there are fewer and fewer options for where i can take my family for escapism. we camp, visit museums and zoos, go to the beach when possible, and state/county fairs when they're in town.

anyway. sorry for the rant.
Because the rides were mostly designed to be easily updated. The majority of them had long "history" sections - the future segments were either film (UoE, Land), simple displays (Motion,Seas, Life, Spaceship) or ignored completely (imagination). Communicore was designed for displays to be ever changing. The only one that really went hard into the future was Horizons.

Mike S

Because the rides were mostly designed to be easily updated. The majority of them had long "history" sections - the future segments were either film (UoE, Land), simple displays (Motion,Seas, Life, Spaceship) or ignored completely (imagination). Communicore was designed for displays to be ever changing. The only one that really went hard into the future was Horizons.
And we still haven’t reached Horizons tech.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
5 minutes? Is that official? Dang this is going to be a pretty long coaster :)
tenor.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom