News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Ripken10

Disney of late has not been great at utilizing all of the space available for attractions. The buildings and facilities keep growing larger and larger, while the experiences themselves don't gain any appreciable length or quality.

Just consider how massive the Tron building will be, with relatively little track inside. There are wide sweeping turns with lots of open spaces surrounding it. From what I've seen, there aren't lots of huge set pieces in there, it's just laid out in a way that leaves a lot of empty space between the tracks.
1443366197_1441033360_Capture%20drsquoeacutecran%202015-08-28%20agrave%2000.56.37.png~original

Now compare that with the dense tangle of track that was used for Rockin Rollercoaster. While I think that attraction is somewhat underwhelming for other reasons, it does a much better job of getting the most out of its building. The building footprint is only about half of Tron's (approx. 74,000 SF vs 138,000 SF), yet both have similar ride lengths (around 60 seconds, ~60mph max speed)
rock+roll+coaster.jpg

Given that GOTG is already relegating one of the largest showbuildings that Disney has ever built to just queue and load space, I see no reason to expect that the attraction will use the gravity building itself any more efficiently. If they were concerned about space, the building likely wouldn't be a monolithic box, but something more form-fitted to the track itself (which even Tron does to a degree).

This approach pretty much sums up why this project is so frustrating to me, regardless of whether the ride itself fits the park: if you must use so much space, have such intrusive sightlines, and spend so much money, you need to make sure you're using all of those resources as effectively as possible. Everything we've seen thus far indicates that they're not. It's just such a waste of so many things.
apples to oranges. RnR works well with tracks close to each other - it adds to the attractions impact. Tron does not. They build these attractions for what best fits the situation (given money and available space too). I

rreading

Average guest will undoubtedly like it. It’s new and shiny and a coaster.

His question is similar to what I have wondered as well...and I suppose that you've answered it.

I had hoped that there would be some interesting story/experience leading up to the coaster ride akin to how TOT is just not we-go-up-and-down.

Not really? Mostly just a roller-coaster?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Disney of late has not been great at utilizing all of the space available for attractions. The buildings and facilities keep growing larger and larger, while the experiences themselves don't gain any appreciable length or quality.

Just consider how massive the Tron building will be, with relatively little track inside. There are wide sweeping turns with lots of open spaces surrounding it. From what I've seen, there aren't lots of huge set pieces in there, it's just laid out in a way that leaves a lot of empty space between the tracks.
1443366197_1441033360_Capture%20drsquoeacutecran%202015-08-28%20agrave%2000.56.37.png~original

Now compare that with the dense tangle of track that was used for Rockin Rollercoaster. While I think that attraction is somewhat underwhelming for other reasons, it does a much better job of getting the most out of its building. The building footprint is only about half of Tron's (approx. 74,000 SF vs 138,000 SF), yet both have similar ride lengths (around 60 seconds, ~60mph max speed)
rock+roll+coaster.jpg

Given that GOTG is already relegating one of the largest showbuildings that Disney has ever built to just queue and load space, I see no reason to expect that the attraction will use the gravity building itself any more efficiently. If they were concerned about space, the building likely wouldn't be a monolithic box, but something more form-fitted to the track itself (which even Tron does to a degree).

This approach pretty much sums up why this project is so frustrating to me, regardless of whether the ride itself fits the park: if you must use so much space, have such intrusive sightlines, and spend so much money, you need to make sure you're using all of those resources as effectively as possible. Everything we've seen thus far indicates that they're not. It's just such a waste of so many things.

Aren't there supposed to be show scenes in the TRON and GotG gravity buildings that take up space?

ChewbaccaYourMum

His question is similar to what I have wondered as well...and I suppose that you've answered it.

I had hoped that there would be some interesting story/experience leading up to the coaster ride akin to how TOT is just not we-go-up-and-down.

Not really? Mostly just a roller-coaster?
With no offense to Marni at all (and I can't stress this enough) because I don't want to be on his bad list or anything lol... but from someone who has read and kept up with this entire thread, I would not take his opinion on how great this ride will be. From the beginning he's been obviously against this thing and it seems it's completely due in part because of where it is and how it effects his favorite park. He has downplayed this ride from the beginning as "just another shiny roller coaster" that only new age theme park/Disney fans will enjoy.

From everything Disney has said, this ride sounds fantastic and they dubbed it a "story-telling coaster" which sounds like maybe Disney's take (FINALLY) on the Mummy dark ride/coaster Universal has. At least to me.

Of course, Marni could be right and it's just another, basically, bare roller coaster and just has the GOTG name attached to it to have fans flock to it... but idk. the way he talks about it just seems like he downplays it because of it's placement.

Please don't hate me Marni.🙏

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
With no offense to Marni at all (and I can't stress this enough) because I don't want to be on his bad list or anything lol... but from someone who has read and kept up with this entire thread, I would not take his opinion on how great this ride will be. From the beginning he's been obviously against this thing and it seems it's completely due in part because of where it is and how it effects his favorite park. He has downplayed this ride from the beginning as "just another shiny roller coaster" that only new age theme park/Disney fans will enjoy.

From everything Disney has said, this ride sounds fantastic and they dubbed it a "story-telling coaster" which sounds like maybe Disney's take (FINALLY) on the Mummy dark ride/coaster Universal has. At least to me.

Of course, Marni could be right and it's just another, basically, bare roller coaster and just has the GOTG name attached to it to have fans flock to it... but idk. the way he talks about it just seems like he downplays it because of it's placement.

Please don't hate me Marni.🙏
No hate. It certainly won’t be bare bones.

You won’t recognise the inside of Energy.

tparris

You won’t recognise the inside of Energy.
We already can’t recognize it, what with it being in such a depressing state atm. Thankfully work is visibly starting on redoing the building so it shouldn’t look like it does for too long. Also, just wondering, once GotG opens, are you going to make a video with comparisons of the layout of Energy before and after? I’m curious as to where certain things will be in regards to the old dioramas and theaters.

DreamfinderGuy

I’m curious as to where certain things will be in regards to the old dioramas and theaters.
Launch is going to be over the old bronto pools and into the tunnel, preshows in Theatre 2, and switchbacks along the old preshow and exit. Those last two are if I remember right, the first one is already clearly visible

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Also, just wondering, once GotG opens, are you going to make a video with comparisons of the layout of Energy before and after? I’m curious as to where certain things will be in regards to the old dioramas and theaters.
I could do one now ;)

Perhaps I will in the future. It’s no secret I’m not exactly a fan of the project, but there again I did an edit for Frozenstrom...

Last edited:

Kman101

It’s not really visible from the entrance nor is it visible from most park areas. Where it’s most visible is from the parking lot (big deal) and from farther away distances (hotel towers) where it looks like the box Space Ship Earth came in....

Well, you're wrong. It's extremely visible.

Kman101

Well, I was thinking more along the lines of an overlay of some sort that would look similar::: not the exact building. Instead of trying to hide something that really can not be hid, jazz it up and make it look 'cool'. 🤷‍♂️

Then you'd have 300 pages of folks complaining (and I say this as a complainer of the big blue box) about how it doesn't fit and it looks tacky. Honestly, there is no winning with this building either way you cut it.

Should have just shoved Guardians into RnRC. It's the exact same big building. I have to imagine it was designed with the ability to fit elsewhere ... just a feeling.

This project was simply ... a mistake. And I say this as someone who does very much enjoy the Guardians.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Then you'd have 300 pages of folks complaining (and I say this as a complainer of the big blue box) about how it doesn't fit and it looks tacky. Honestly, there is no winning with this building either way you cut it.

Should have just shoved Guardians into RnRC. It's the exact same big building. I have to imagine it was designed with the ability to fit elsewhere ... just a feeling.

This project was simply ... a mistake. And I say this as someone who does very much enjoy the Guardians.

Nah, Universe of Energy was old, stale, and boring. Out with the old, in with the new! We should embrace this with open arms.

(end sarcasm)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom