News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

kthomas105

It wouldn't be a million of two to theme the outside of something you have to be looking for to notice from inside the park. Jurassic Park's show building looks over IoA much more intensively but who gives it a second thought these days?

Complaining about the lift hill is clearly just complaining to complain.
Yes but Universal Creative didn’t try to paint the exterior of the building a blue shade so it would “blend in”. They themed the exterior, however lightly, to look like a building that would be present in Jurassic Park. I think most are not offended by the size of the building as much as the half hearted attempt to disguise the building.

OG Runner

The backside of Splash Mountain isn’t visible from Tomorrowland.

You are right it isn't and honestly, from ground level, I do not think, this large building will be intrusive.
How many complaints do you hear about the building constructed for the Soarin' attraction? It is also
huge, but people do not focus on it.

rkleinlein

“Wow, Epcot has a lot of beautiful scenery, but instead of enjoying that, I’m going to go out of my way to look at a blue box and get mad at it.”

Come on people.
Except, of course, that nobody needs to go out of their way to look at it. It’s huge and unavoidable. Hence the attempt to blend it in. Everyone will see it unless they go out of their way NOT to look at it.

Again, for those who don’t mind this structure: great.

But there’s no need to disparage others who comment on the look of the building and simply state the obvious (which one can do without being mad).

And again, if anyone has anything positive to say about the design I’d sure like to hear it.

yensidtlaw1969

You are right it isn't and honestly, from ground level, I do not think, this large building will be intrusive.
How many complaints do you hear about the building constructed for the Soarin' attraction? It is also
From ground level, right in front of the old Energy building, the new Showbuilding is not intrusive.

From almost every other vantage point in the park, the building is plainly visible.

This new building is twice as tall as Soarin', and at least as wide. Soarin' is also positioned in such a way that it is really only visible from Germany - Guardians is visible from every country west of The African Outpost, and much of Future World. The two are really not comparable.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Unfortunately, the Guardians building is 130 feet tall, so 50 foot cypresses wouldn't even reach halfway up.

I would think that if there was a longer-term plan to disguise this building by putting something new in front of it one of our trusted voices on this site would have spoke to that plan instead of echoing the frustration of it being as bad as it is. No one's even hinted at that, so it seems overly giving to presume.

The outside of the building is being covered with panels in a consistent paint scheme. A lame, blue and green one, but a paint scheme nonetheless. This IS the final product. If they improve it, more power to them, but nothing they're doing now is intentionally temporary.
I’m not trying to change anyone’s minds on this and I have been here long enough to know people react without waiting for a final product. There’s a mixed track record of things being just as “bad” as we all thought and things getting better. I’m not going to get into a tit for tat back and forth but one somewhat recent example is the show building at LM showing from inside FLE when it first opened. People were losing their minds over it and then they added a larger wall and some trees and it was corrected. Not anywhere near the same scale as this eyesore but just an example of something that looked terrible during and right after construction but was later fixed. I’m fully aware there are just as many examples of things never fixed so save your time posting them. It’s your prerogative to feel certain nothing will change and this is the final look, I’m holding back final judgement...my prerogative :)

On the issue of trees, they don’t need to be 150 feet high to block the building from inside the park depending on where you view it. Yes, from a helicopter where most of the pictures posted here are taken they would need to be as tall as the building or taller since you are looking down but if you are looking up at an angle the trees can be shorter and still block the building. Doesn’t help views from farther away like World Showcase.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
And again, if anyone has anything positive to say about the design I’d sure like to hear it.
It sure is BIG! ;)

But seriously, we didn't find it obtrusive when we were there in Sept, and that was before all the cladding was up. Can you see it? Yes. Is it as visually interesting as Spaceship:Earth? No. The paint isn't there to hide it -- it's there to tone it down.

In a couple of years, you won't even notice that it's there.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I’m hindsight they should have just went with solar panels all over the building like this:
43C2E491-48EA-415C-9A84-756DF25D11A9.jpeg

People would still be losing their minds over the signtline intrusion but at least they could power half the park.

A more elegant option would have been to cover the whole building in living walls:
0CC11501-F103-4AA6-90B4-B96BD1E25ECB.jpeg

From a long distance it would blend in with trees and other green stuff.

jt04

Yes but Universal Creative didn’t try to paint the exterior of the building a blue shade so it would “blend in”. They themed the exterior, however lightly, to look like a building that would be present in Jurassic Park. I think most are not offended by the size of the building as much as the half hearted attempt to disguise the building.

Personally speaking I do not see beyond the berm while in Epcot. I am fully aware of Soarin' and the hotels but they never cross my mind to even look for them. Haven't seen the new building in person, but from photos the shading seems to be very effective. And considering we are getting a new E Ticket I am willing to accept the trade off.

999th Happy Haunt

Except, of course, that nobody needs to go out of their way to look at it. It’s huge and unavoidable. Hence the attempt to blend it in. Everyone will see it unless they go out of their way NOT to look at it.

Again, for those who don’t mind this structure: great.

But there’s no need to disparage others who comment on the look of the building and simply state the obvious (which one can do without being mad).

I remember seeing it before the blue siding was on, it was big when you noticed it, but not intrusive. I can’t imagine it being worse than it was then.

lazyboy97o

This is essentially the “average guest” argument. This construct of what becomes a characture, an oblivious idiot who is treated as some sort of noble ideal. The entire concept of a theme park, storytelling through the subtleties of built space, can be dismissed as something people don’t notice or focus on or care about.

lazyboy97o

I’m hindsight they should have just went with solar panels all over the building like this:
View attachment 345392
People would still be losing their minds over the signtline intrusion but at least they could power half the park.

A more elegant option would have been to cover the whole building in living walls:
View attachment 345391

From a long distance it would blend in with trees and other green stuff.
The problem with covering the building in plants is still it’s size. It is significantly taller than the tree line and trees don’t grow in squared off rectangles.

jt04

When they build the entrance hotel they can hang some faux windows and trim on it to make it look like a wing of the resort. Solved.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
In a couple of years, you won't even notice that it's there.
Wrong crowd for that comment :)
The problem with covering the building in plants is still it’s size. It is significantly taller than the tree line and trees don’t grow in squared off rectangles.
I wouldn’t want to be the guy stuck watering all those plants either;) Probably an hourly task in mid summer.

It wouldn’t be a perfect solution or even ideal, but better than leaving it as is. I still say they should have just owned the massive size and made the building unique and interesting in some “futuristic” way. Then it would fit in with all of the original pavilions show buildings visible from all over the park.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
When they build the entrance hotel they can hang some faux windows and trim on it to make it look like a wing of the resort. Solved.
Or just build the hotel directly in front of the building where WoL pavilion sits empty today. Ugly view blocked by hotel which is hopefully not quite as ugly.

kthomas105

Personally speaking I do not see beyond the berm while in Epcot. I am fully aware of Soarin' and the hotels but they never cross my mind to even look for them. Haven't seen the new building in person, but from photos the shading seems to be very effective. And considering we are getting a new E Ticket I am willing to accept the trade off.
Sure you can always argue that as time goes on we become more accustomed to things the way they are vs the way they were. Things become less obtrusive as we coexist with them longer. And for those who will know no different they will probably have no objections to this building. I am not so upset by the building and it’s size, I am upset that from the start the creators and designers and decision makers for EPCOT took much care and consideration to the way things would complement one another. The idea of a wheel shaped building for world of motion, volcano shaped roof line for the Land and so on. The worst example of poor aesthetic execution is the show building in the Germany pavilion but even that is themed to look like a castle wall. It bothers me that Epcot and Disney had the option to continue a near perfect execution of aesthetics, architecture and complementary structures but chose instead to build a show building “outside the berm” that can still be clearly seen inside the berm. I think SM is a good example of a building that could have had the same treatment Guardians is currently getting but under different leadership was designed to be a park icon.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
We are currently fixated on the size of the building, as it is going up. Take time to look at the photos of the attraction from the front of
the entrance building. That is what people are going to see. I have been taken off of Splash Mountain due to a breakdown. The front
of the ride is really well themed. The back of the building looks like factory building. Even as big as this building is, when you are going
to ride this ride, you are not going to be worrying about the building in the back.
Go stand at Japan and say that.

Goofyque'

Clearly there are few that have enjoyed the approach to the various parks with tiny children bouncing on their seats saying "Daddy/Grandpa!! I can see it!! I can see it!!!" Not once do I remember or anticipate any of the sons or grands saying "Wow, Grandpa! Do you see that large building that looks like fecal matter? What were they thinking?" :D

Still excited. Mostly in spite of the last 543 pages.

jt04

Sure you can always argue that as time goes on we become more accustomed to things the way they are vs the way they were. Things become less obtrusive as we coexist with them longer. And for those who will know no different they will probably have no objections to this building. I am not so upset by the building and it’s size, I am upset that from the start the creators and designers and decision makers for EPCOT took much care and consideration to the way things would complement one another. The idea of a wheel shaped building for world of motion, volcano shaped roof line for the Land and so on. The worst example of poor aesthetic execution is the show building in the Germany pavilion but even that is themed to look like a castle wall. It bothers me that Epcot and Disney had the option to continue a near perfect execution of aesthetics, architecture and complementary structures but chose instead to build a show building “outside the berm” that can still be clearly seen inside the berm. I think SM is a good example of a building that could have had the same treatment Guardians is currently getting but under different leadership was designed to be a park icon.

If this was the MK the concern would be understandable. I wouldn't rule out they have a longer term solution in mind. To me the old WoM exterior has been much more concerning than this new add.

kthomas105

If this was the MK the concern would be understandable. I wouldn't rule out they have a longer term solution in mind. To me the old WoM exterior has been much more concerning than this new add.
There is nothing wrong with the exterior of world of motion aside from poor upkeep/cleaning and the addition of structures from the current ride inside the building. If they built this building today it would still look appropriate for the future world theme. In fact the world of motion building as originally built would look appropriate on most Silicon Valley campuses built today, including Apple’s newest campus.

Edit: And why is the MK held to a different standard than Epcot?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom