News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

eliza61nyc

How many times must it be said that renders aren’t made just at the very beginning of a project? Most projects are past the concept design phase when they are announced. Making accurate renderings has become easier than ever which is how some “concept art” is the actual blueprints.

And yes, Disney has completely done away with projects despite being announced. Main Street Theater, Reflections and EPCOT Festival Center were all announced.
I guess one more time because all im getting us you're mad because it doesn't look like the pretty picture they announced and weren't informed of the change.

OMG, gasp. A big entity, company, state, city announces a ambitious program that never comes to fruition. Oh yes, that certainly is a rarity. 🙄

Too each his own

Last edited:

MrPromey

YOU being unintelligent is not MY problem, don't apologize to me.

Adorable way to dodge my statement and question. ;)

My whole point was that you shouldn't take early concept art as a final product. This goes for everything, even outside of Disney and theme parks in general. A concept is just that, a concept. I don't know of any instance in which the final product was 100% accurate to the concept art. Extremely close to it? Sure, but never 100%.

I'm not so "unintelligent" as to think that the world is going to suddenly catch on to what you think it should mean when Disney decides to release concept art for what they're building to market and hype it... or starting to build... or thinking they might maybe someday build something sort of like, assuming it doesn't get scraped and never spoken of again (cough, Main Street Theater).

As for what I should do, I've been around long enough to not believe anything they say until the soft previews and then, I assume aspects may never be working that way again a year or less after the attraction opens once the reigns are fully in the hands of park Ops when it comes time for fixing something.

Someone's argument for paying up for the Star Cruiser before reviews from actual paying guests was something along the lines of "I know it'll likely never be as good as it is the first few months ever again" and sadly, that's hard to argue with - especially with trends in current management.

Ideally, additional concept art is released over time to show an updated vision. Most recent example would be the new EPCOT art. That shows what the current concept is as of early 2022. This is why they don't like releasing blue-sky concept art because people like you will take it and run with it

I don't know what you think I ever took and ran with regarding concept art. Perhaps you could link to where I said that?

I realize it isn't YOUR problem to explain the world to me but it kind of is your responsibility to defend claims that make you feel you have the right to attack my intellect.

Someone else was saying people shouldn't believe the concept art. I'm saying, if Disney's release of the concept art purely for marketing purposes, they don't update it and that causes confusion with the public, I think the communication problem there is on Disney's side.

I'd also say it's likely not unintentional.

In my opinion, the only place blue-sky concept art should be showing up is in coffee table books well after the project is complete.

Might I humbly suggest, though, that since you think I was the one confused by all of this, that you perhaps spend a little time reflecting on the three fingers pointed back your way?

Last edited:

MrPromey

Why? Serious question.
A bit off topic. So I was on the building committee for my church, a two year project for a new 20,000 seat building. Yes, we presented the plans at the beginning of the project and tried really hard to keep our congregation involved but over the two year project so much crap occurred. Zoning issues, town hall, noisy seniors, township officials changes, endangered bird nesting etc etc just trying to keep up to date was extensive. After about a year we decided not to give out specifics, now I will say, with a church many of the folks we're volunteering so it is different that a major corporation but I will say it's sometimes impossible to please everyone and there is a lot of sense in not publishing your every change.

Lol I do know this is apples to oranges but having to broadcast every change that comes down the pipeline especially on a long term project, whew can get out of hand.

So for example with the Tron Rollercoaster I'm sure there have been a ton of changes since the original conception announcement, what purpose works announcing every change serve?

For a company like Disney, it's simple enough - if the concept art was done for internal purposes, keep it internal.

If they want to release something to the public, don't share details of something you don't know are actually coming.

"New Guardians Ride: here's the name, here's the basic plot - something you've never experienced before. It'll be amazing. We're adding extra trash cans to the exits - you mission space fans know what we mean wink-wink! Here's a poster!"

Not as exciting as the concept art of something people will never get to experience mind you, but more accurate.

That's hard when you're trying to create reasons for people to pay to attend D23 and then trying to keep public interest up in a park that's a mess for half a decade while you build whatever you'll eventually build but that would be a more honest way, don't you think?

Last edited:

MrPromey

Okay I'm not sure I understand how we got there but no, someone was lamenting that the general public was not informed of every change in design that occurred between conception and final product and I was pointing out that there is a lot of changes that happened between the two (based on my ONE and only ONE experience) and that the company had absolutely no obligation of letting it's fanbase know of it's decision ...
I think you picked up part way through a conversation and responded to an individual post without the context of what came before it.

lazyboy97o

I guess one more time because all im getting us you're mad because it doesn't look like the pretty picture they announced and weren't informed of the change.

OMG, gasp. A big entity, company, state, city announces a ambitious program that never comes to fruition. Oh yes, that certainly is a rarity. 🙄

Too each his own
Why the need to repeatedly mischaracterize? You’ve already been told several times this is an incorrect exaggeration.

MrPromey

Some here would be well served to read this:

My point (in all of this) is unless you have a plan to share that personally with everyone on earth, you're never going to get the majority of the public to understand.

You can call them all stupid, lament how our public school systems have failed society, or whatever else but that doesn't change reality.

It's unfix-able.

Disney's messaging on the other hand, could be fixed if they actually wanted to fix it.

Personally, I don't think they do.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

If they want to release something to the public, don't share details of something you don't know are actually coming.
To build on this, released “concept art” isn’t just something grabbed off of the walls. A far more accurate term than “concept art” would be “promotional art.” Any artwork released has been reviewed and approved. It’s a whole involved process. Sometimes it starts with actual art used in the design process but it’s also not at all uncommon for the art to be made for the sole purpose of releasing it. This isn’t really concept art we are discussing, it is art made or edited for advertising. You’re early analogy of a trailer containing cut scenes from a movie is very similar.

trainplane3

Seems like the fact they weren't even there for the opening day isn't a good sign. WDW's entertainment is being run on a shoestring budget right now, so maybe one day, but I wouldn't hold your breath.
Extremely obvious. Took a friends relative to DHS yesterday. It was easily their least favorite park because "there's like 5 rides and they're all big thrills". They wanted streetmosphere and it was nowhere to be found.

Epcot was good to them. MK was excellent for them.

UNCgolf

Extremely obvious. Took a friends relative to DHS yesterday. It was easily their least favorite park because "there's like 5 rides and they're all big thrills". They wanted streetmosphere and it was nowhere to be found.

Epcot was good to them. MK was excellent for them.

This is why I liked the DHS of 25 or so years ago more than current DHS, even though current DHS has more attractions.

It also doesn't help that most of the new attractions aren't very good -- Rise and MMRR are the only ones I haven't been on, and they're also the only two that look pretty good (Slinky Dog is relatively fun, but it's not worth waiting in a 60+ minute line; I'd only ride standby if the line was 20 minutes or less). Even there, though, MMRR doesn't look nearly as good as GMR.

mergatroid

Out of curiosity where do people stand with commercials for attractions including things not in the attractions? The reason I ask is because we often see commercials from theme parks such as this from Universal for Hagrid's where there's clearly elements shown that don't exist in the attraction. They show 'mythical creatures' in the forest that simply don't exist in the attraction, such as the flying elves (?) and half man/half horse firing a bow and arrow. It personally doesn't bother me as it gives a feel of the attraction and things change, however going off the complaints of things being shown that don't make the final cut I'm sure they'll be fury aplenty by those criticising Guardians for similar :D

And in interest of fairness Disney do similar including adding CGI sparks to Kylos light saber as it comes through the roof here

Personally I'm not sure how many guests book trips based solely on concept art or commercials based on the inclusion on one or two characters. It's certainly worth debate with valid arguments on both sides. You can't blame guests for not checking whether there's specific things shown in concept art or commercials before booking, I'm just not sure how many of them there are. I mean I love the velocicoaster, it's superb and fun for an unboxed coaster. However Universal's concept art shows numerous Velociraptors along the track whereas in the final product there's 2?

https:///wp-content/uploads/2020/11/0928_universal_jurassic_velocicoaster_concept_art-1.jpeg
3fd17baca83b3a94bdb64b51904a2a7b.jpg

https:///wp-content/uploads/2020/12/velocicoaster-concept-art-1-4306914.jpg

Raptors everywhere going from that, let's hope folks didn't take it literally and go along expecting to see that many or anywhere near the number alongside the track.

Poseidon Quest

The reason I ask is because we often see commercials from theme parks such as this from Universal for Hagrid's where there's clearly elements shown that don't exist in the attraction. They show 'mythical creatures' in the forest that simply don't exist in the attraction, such as the flying elves (?) and half man/half horse firing a bow and arrow.

However Universal's concept art shows numerous Velociraptors along the track whereas in the final product there's 2?

So, you've never been on these attractions or even watched a video of them?

mergatroid

So, you've never been on these attractions or even watched a video of them?
Yes was at Universal in March and loved it. Go almost every year. Genuinely have no memory of them featuring?

Edit. In one video I see a blurry shape in the tunnel, if that the ha;f man/half horse? No idea where the flying elves are still or all the velociraptors in the concept art?

Last edited:

Furiated

Yes was at Universal in March and loved it. Go almost every year. Genuinely have no memory of them featuring?

Edit. In one video I see a blurry shape in the tunnel, if that the ha;f man/half horse? No idea where the flying elves are still or all the velociraptors in the concept art?

I think he was asking because both the Cornish Pixies and the Centaur are indeed on Hagrids.

Ah, I see you made an edit.

JonsMovies

The 4 featured raptors from Jurassic World are along the first half of the track in the paddock section as static figures. There are also two caged animatronic raptor heads in the queue along with projections of the raptors during the first launch tunnel.

mergatroid

The 4 featured raptors from Jurassic World are along the first half of the track in the paddock section as static figures. There are also two caged animatronic raptor heads in the queue along with projections of the raptors during the first launch tunnel.
Different to the concept art though which is the point some are making, the art shows velociraptors everywhere as though the experience is they're attacking you and jumping out at you rather than static. It's a great ride which I rode twice and the fun it creates makes up for the lack of featured raptors or the feeling of being chased. I'm just pointing out for those who want to critically analyse Guardians (concept art being the latest thing) that it happens elsewhere too.

lazyboy97o

Different to the concept art though which is the point some are making, the art shows velociraptors everywhere as though the experience is they're attacking you and jumping out at you rather than static. It's a great ride which I rode twice and the fun it creates makes up for the lack of featured raptors or the feeling of being chased. I'm just pointing out for those who want to critically analyse Guardians (concept art being the latest thing) that it happens elsewhere too.
Again, the issue is not that an image was not exactly recreated. These pieces are also clearly advertising collages, not “concept art,” with there being little concern for things like scale and perspective.

Incomudro

Again, the issue is not that an image was not exactly recreated. These pieces are also clearly advertising collages, not “concept art,” with there being little concern for things like scale and perspective.
So, concept art "concept" it's right there in the wording - can be taken literally, and we can deride a park for it's finished product not being accurate to the concept.
But if it's an advertising collage - then anything goes, and we can't hold that park to the same standards.
Ok.
Hey, ever see automotive concept art?
Ever notice how the production vehicle differs from the concept art?

lazyboy97o

So, concept art "concept" it's right there in the wording - can be taken literally, and we can deride a park for it's finished product not being accurate to the concept.
But if it's an advertising collage - then anything goes, and we can't hold that park to the same standards.
Ok.
Hey, ever see automotive concept art?
Ever notice how the production vehicle differs from the concept art?
How many times must it be stated that “concept art” is not always from the concept design phase? Seriously, why is this so hard to understand?

And yes, different pieces of art have different purposes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom