Guardians of the Galaxy coming to Energy Pavilion at Epcot

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdwgreek

No, it explains every. single. thing you post. You're not fooling anyone with anything, sorry.

The greater question is whether or not futurism as a genre is dead? Did it die with the space race, become irrelevant with the advent of the home computer, or is it just in a different form; i'd argue futurism is now synonymous with idealism. Idealism is certainly not dead. Its all about framing.

Earl Sweatpants

The greater question is whether or not futurism as a genre is dead? Did it die with the space race, become irrelevant with the advent of the home computer, or is it just in a different form; i'd argue futurism is now synonymous with idealism. Idealism is certainly not dead. Its all about framing.
We're still a far ways away from the "future" portrayed even in Horizons. Underwater cities, space living, desert farms, etc. Its easy to just dismiss things and say "We have better technology now", "Man is going to wind up on Mars soon" etc.

The "future" still has SO much to offer and explore, and none of it's creative exploration would be wasted on updating stuff at Epcot.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
If you want edutainment, then the answer is: planetariums (plural, because you'll need more than one dome for the throughput).

And here's the great thing about planetariums: they can be educational and entertaining.

And for those who want what's in Epcot to be different than what you can get elsewhere, and for the Disney brass that wants synergy, the good news is that a planetarium is basically a giant screen. The fan-favorite and commercially viable IPs can show up in the planetarium's show from Miles to Pigs in Space, to Guardians of the Galaxy.

Four domes the size of the one in NYC Museum of Natural History can fit inside the shell of Ellen's Energy. It can be a huge people eater.

Shows can change over time, or different shows be available the same day. Disney can buy off-the-shelf planetarium shows that exist and plus them, or, create their own (which they can then sell to other planetariums after an exclusivity period).

Situated between Planet Earth and Mission: Space, a planetarium would be the perfect thematically.

Goofyernmost

While I completely agree, and the disturbing lack of curiosity to explore culture and knowledge in Epcot is outweighed on these forums by a preference for 100% fantasy every where, all the time is proof, dont you think that we need those things now more than ever? We cant give up. We cant just accept that people no longer care. We must try.

And please, before anybody retorts with the typical, "im on vacation, I dont need a lesson at WDW", please understand that nobody is saying you do. You should try and understand that there is so much more to be entertained by (not exactly educated) than mere princesses and meet and greets. We all want to experience the "Disney" aspects of a WDW vacation, and we definitely should. I absolutely love the fantasy experience, but I also realize that the balance struck by non fantasy attractions and shows only makes it all that much more enjoyable. I would never want the same experience constantly replicated with little more than swapped out characters and soundtracks. Be careful what you wish for.
For one thing... let's not compare a theme park to an exercise in saving humanity. For those that have to have a 100% fantasy experience, that is why Magic Kingdom exists. However, to think that "we must keep trying" in this particular battle is a waste of energy. Unlike moral causes, a theme park is governed by money and money alone. It exists for that purpose. It is neither an educational institution or a governmental agency set up to educate. If the public in general is not into the "educated portion. That park will become a closed chunk of land. They have no choice but to lean toward the desires of the people that they are depending on for financial support. It must be able to support itself. That is not really possible at this point in time and it requires what the public requires. I don't see that changing again at least in what is left of my lifetime. Someday maybe, but not right now.

"jt04, post: 7471019, member: 13037"]Disney and especially original EPCOT changed the way museums function and present information. Epcot "Future World" "Pavilions" have become ubiquitous around the globe. So much so that the concept seems trivial at a Disney theme park.

Similarly, the global economy and ease of travel has had the same effect on World Showcase.

I sometimes think the mouse choose Frozen deliberately as the first indicator of a change to the parks mission statement. EPCOT Center is no more.

Let It Go.[/QUOTE]

Umm... no. If that is happening, then Disney should one-up the museum model they created. By the way, I haven't seen a moving theater car or omnimover at museums that I've visited.

Goofyernmost

See post #4433 this thread.
Check back years ago and you will see where it actually happened when the name changed from EPCOT Ctr. to Epcot. That change spoke loudly about mission, it's just that many chose to ignore it. I mean, after all, the name is the same isn't it? That is the exact moment when they stopped trying to be edutainment.

iHeartDisneylandCats

Plus CBS might not want to renew the agreement which means Disney may have no choice but to reimagine the ride.

And spirit knows this but would rather torture people's emotions for his own jollies. It's what he does.
Yeah suuuuuure.... Spirit is one of the most trusted posters on this site, and he has stated that the CBS agreement has absolutely NOTHING to do with the decision to put GOTG in Tower of Terror.

When Disney first suggested it was difficult to stay ahead of the future I thought they were making excuses. Now we live in a world that has proven the theory correct. Elon Musk plans to land people on Mars in the not too distant future. 5G cellular service is on the way at least a decade sooner than was previously thought. Energy may be a fading issue globally as tech nobody imagined a few years ago is emerging from the labs. And Uber is perfecting flying cars and Musk and others the hyperloop.

Progress.
giphy.gif

Have fun in your own personal Fantasyland!

danlb_2000

Premium Member
"jt04, post: 7471019, member: 13037"]Disney and especially original EPCOT changed the way museums function and present information. Epcot "Future World" "Pavilions" have become ubiquitous around the globe. So much so that the concept seems trivial at a Disney theme park.

Similarly, the global economy and ease of travel has had the same effect on World Showcase.

I sometimes think the mouse choose Frozen deliberately as the first indicator of a change to the parks mission statement. EPCOT Center is no more.

Let It Go.

Umm... no. If that is happening, then Disney should one-up the museum model they created. By the way, I haven't seen a moving theater car or omnimover at museums that I've visited.

JT has always been so positive about Disney, it's sad to see that he now doesn't believe they are up to the task. ;)

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Many people aren't going to be happy paying for admission to the park if the main rides are all just AAs acting out the documentary they watched on Netlfix last week.
I do not believe anybody has pitched the idea of ALL attractions being strictly educational. Lets not debate an issue that has not been presented.

We contain access to nearly all of human knowledge from our phones.Cosmos and Planet Earth are easily available to watch. Many people fill their free time by watching documentaries on Netflix.
There is far greater information pertaining to a myriad of subjects that have absolutely nothing to do with "Cosmos and Planet Earth" ..or the all knowing deity you continue to refer to as "Netflix". And yes, we have access to a great deal of knowledge from our phones, but a cellular phone doesnt inspire a young mind as much as a hands on experience would. Reading about it on your 5 inch cell phone screen and seeing it visualized through AA's, music, science and theater is not the same.

jt04

JT has always been so positive about Disney, it's sad to see that he now doesn't believe they are up to the task. ;)

I am positive that they will choose a sustainable business model for the park we now call Epcot. And it will be the best version yet. How's that?

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom