Guardians of the Galaxy coming to Energy Pavilion at Epcot

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyGentlemanV2.0

It'll certainly be better than what is there today.

Given a choice I'd rather go with the previous refurb plan before this came along. A storyline focussed on the Big Bang and the creation of the Earth.
Lucky TWDC does not own CBS, or we'd have yet another IP placement....

DdCm4g7.png

jt04

I'm told it's still a go. Others are told differently. I'd love to be wrong.

I vote for Marvel at Epcot.

The only thing I would miss would be the Spaceship Earth ride from the original park. That is worth preserving with more of the original storyline and some of the new stuff.

Not sure where it could go though. Perhaps Discoveryland in Paris would work.

vgersix

Hi, I'm new! I've spent the better part of 2 days reading through this thread, and I'm only on page 31. That being said, I think I've read enough to get the gist of how people feel about this. As with most Epcot-related changes, there seem to be 3 camps:

1) THIS IS THE DEATH OF EPCOT! GOD SAVE US ALL!!1
2) *cautiously optimistic*
3) *less optimistic but I can't really bring myself to care anymore, please just give us something new, anything pLEASE*

I've really enjoyed reading all your thoughts on this, and especially appreciate the tips and hints from the insiders!

Okay so here's my two cents: If you've never seen the movie, I highly recommend checking it out before passing judgement on the potential plans for UoE and/or WoL. While I admit my initial reaction to the rumor wasn't positive, the more I think about it, the more it seems like it could have potential.

Someone else (forgive me, I don't recall who it was, many pages back) mentioned the importance of the Infinity Stones within the story, as a source of almost limitless energy. GotG1 is basically about getting one of the stones away from the bad guys who intend to use it as a weapon, in order to protect the galaxy. Now also keep in mind, Star Lord (the main character) is a human from Earth.

Imagine his narration of an introductory film or even throughout the course of the ride -- I can totally see him saying things like, "Man, back on Earth, we were just starting to mess around with solar power -- we couldn't have even imagined anything like this!" -- basically let him serve as the lens through which the rider experiences these out of this world technologies and experiences. I think if it's done right, it could absolutely work. Since it sounds like the new construction won't be using the original ride technology, I'm wondering what the pace and style of the new ride might be. Honestly, I think something a bit more fast paced, maybe even an indoor coaster could be really cool with the theme. And if it included some of the songs from the movie as atmospheric sound (a la Rockin' Rollercoaster) that could be really cool.

While I can absolutely understand why a lot of people are wary of this change, I think we have to accept that UoE has seen its time. Among regulars, Ellen's Energy Adventure has become well-known as the best place for a 45 minute nap in the afternoon of your Epcot visit. Not exactly something to instill awe or fascination...

I'm definitely part of the "mourning the EPCOT Center that was" camp, but I think it's time to acknowledge that EPCOT Center is dead and it's time to embrace a new era for the park. However, I'll echo what some others have said in that Disney needs to firmly decide what this new park will look like and then GO FOR IT. If we're going to see more character inclusions like Frozen in Norway, let's do it. Put Ratatouille/Beauty and the Beast in France, Brother Bear in Canada, add a Polynesian pavilion and bring on Moana, give us a Mulan ride in China and more M&G's with everyone.

Hoping for the best on this one, and I'm excited to see what the future of Epcot has in store.

iHeartDisneylandCats

Hi, I'm new! I've spent the better part of 2 days reading through this thread, and I'm only on page 31. That being said, I think I've read enough to get the gist of how people feel about this. As with most Epcot-related changes, there seem to be 3 camps:

1) THIS IS THE DEATH OF EPCOT! GOD SAVE US ALL!!1
2) *cautiously optimistic*
3) *less optimistic but I can't really bring myself to care anymore, please just give us something new, anything pLEASE*

I've really enjoyed reading all your thoughts on this, and especially appreciate the tips and hints from the insiders!

Okay so here's my two cents: If you've never seen the movie, I highly recommend checking it out before passing judgement on the potential plans for UoE and/or WoL. While I admit my initial reaction to the rumor wasn't positive, the more I think about it, the more it seems like it could have potential.

Someone else (forgive me, I don't recall who it was, many pages back) mentioned the importance of the Infinity Stones within the story, as a source of almost limitless energy. GotG1 is basically about getting one of the stones away from the bad guys who intend to use it as a weapon, in order to protect the galaxy. Now also keep in mind, Star Lord (the main character) is a human from Earth.

Imagine his narration of an introductory film or even throughout the course of the ride -- I can totally see him saying things like, "Man, back on Earth, we were just starting to mess around with solar power -- we couldn't have even imagined anything like this!" -- basically let him serve as the lens through which the rider experiences these out of this world technologies and experiences. I think if it's done right, it could absolutely work. Since it sounds like the new construction won't be using the original ride technology, I'm wondering what the pace and style of the new ride might be. Honestly, I think something a bit more fast paced, maybe even an indoor coaster could be really cool with the theme. And if it included some of the songs from the movie as atmospheric sound (a la Rockin' Rollercoaster) that could be really cool.

While I can absolutely understand why a lot of people are wary of this change, I think we have to accept that UoE has seen its time. Among regulars, Ellen's Energy Adventure has become well-known as the best place for a 45 minute nap in the afternoon of your Epcot visit. Not exactly something to instill awe or fascination...

I'm definitely part of the "mourning the EPCOT Center that was" camp, but I think it's time to acknowledge that EPCOT Center is dead and it's time to embrace a new era for the park. However, I'll echo what some others have said in that Disney needs to firmly decide what this new park will look like and then GO FOR IT. If we're going to see more character inclusions like Frozen in Norway, let's do it. Put Ratatouille/Beauty and the Beast in France, Brother Bear in Canada, add a Polynesian pavilion and bring on Moana, give us a Mulan ride in China and more M&G's with everyone.

Hoping for the best on this one, and I'm excited to see what the future of Epcot has in store.
You have a long ways to go in this thread, and I do not recommend spending so much time trying to catch up on all of it. So here it is in a nutshell:
-You were spot on about people's opinions, the rest of the thread the opinions stay the same
-As of now, our insiders are conflicted as to where GOTG is going. @marni1971 is convinced it is going into UOE, while @WDW1974 is convinced GOTG is going into Tower of Terror, and he says something else, but we don't know exactly what, is going into UOE.

That is pretty much all you need to know. Anything else is outdated information. It will be pretty interesting to see how this plays out though because our insiders have never been so conflicted. Usually they hear the same info.

No Name

It's funny how bad Epcot is now. We have 3 pavilions with no audio animatronics now. (The Festival Center, (Unless you count Buzzy and that other guy's corpse) Mission: Space, and Test Track. I'm not sure about The Seas with Nemo and Friends as far as animatronics go, but EPCOT is really, truly dead.

If you measure quality in terms of animatronics, then I suppose you are right.

vgersix

You have a long ways to go in this thread, and I do not recommend spending so much time trying to catch up on all of it. So here it is in a nutshell:
-You were spot on about people's opinions, the rest of the thread the opinions stay the same
-As of now, our insiders are conflicted as to where GOTG is going. @marni1971 is convinced it is going into UOE, while @WDW1974 is convinced GOTG is going into Tower of Terror, and he says something else, but we don't know exactly what, is going into UOE.

That is pretty much all you need to know. Anything else is outdated information. It will be pretty interesting to see how this plays out though because our insiders have never been so conflicted. Usually they hear the same info.
Thanks for the recap, because odds are, I was never going to have time to get all the way through anyway, heheh. Interesting -- I thought the consensus was that WDW's version of ToT was in no danger? Okay, now I might be scared... that's my favorite ride anywhere ever. :(

Daveeeeed

Thanks for the recap, because odds are, I was never going to have time to get all the way through anyway, heheh. Interesting -- I thought the consensus was that WDW's version of ToT was in no danger? Okay, now I might be scared... that's my favorite ride anywhere ever. :(
It is easily the top 10 best rides in the world. The Orlando Tot is truly our only bragging right in Orlando as far as rides go.

Goofyernmost

Quick clarification- CBS broadcasts "The Big Bang Theory". The show is produced and owned by Warner Brothers.
I may be wrong, but, I think @marni1971 is referring to the actual Big Bang Theory not the TV show. And if he was, sadly, if nothing else has been proven by this years election process this country does not contain enough working brain cells to make a real scientific program workable. Maybe in another 5 or 6 hundred years when the population has had a chance to develop brain cells it could work again. This is the point that I have been trying to make about why so much has had to change in Epcot. The public just plain does not have the brain power to comprehend or value any of it.

JohnD

As someone else said, given a choice I would rather see GOTC in UoE than TOT. But I also agree with the sentiment that the Ellen version needs to go and be replaced but not necessarily with GOTC. What. I don't know.

V_L_Raptor

It'll certainly be better than what is there today.

Given a choice I'd rather go with the previous refurb plan before this came along. A storyline focussed on the Big Bang and the creation of the Earth.

I understand that a low-key exposition on the creation of Earth drove some pushback to the original The Sea movie. I'm not sure that a comic book overlay would hold off the Fundies, and I don't think fictionalizing cosmology to fit in an animatronic raccoon or tree would fly too well (admittedly with a much less vocal audience).

Po'Rich

There's another thread, started by WDW1974, that discusses the idea that ToT is still in jeopardy of being replaced. From what I've read, I think this is definitely a possibility. Note: I am NOT an insider nor do I know anything more than what I've read on these forums. However, Disney pays a licensing fee to CBS to use the Twilight Zone motif. This started at a time when Disney didn't feel that they had a sufficient number of IPs to draw upon (especially non-kiddie IPs). Now that Disney owns Marvel and Star Wars, it makes sense that the bean counters are questioning this continued expense.

jt04

Which is depicted in nearly every natural science museum on earth. Epcot and every Disney theme park should be about a unique entertainment experience. Save the museum experience for school field trips.

BTW, the Iron Man attraction opens soon. Is it getting good reviews?

jt04

There's another thread, started by WDW1974, that discusses the idea that ToT is still in jeopardy of being replaced. From what I've read, I think this is definitely a possibility. Note: I am NOT an insider nor do I know anything more than what I've read on these forums. However, Disney pays a licensing fee to CBS to use the Twilight Zone motif. This started at a time when Disney didn't feel that they had a sufficient number of IPs to draw upon (especially non-kiddie IPs). Now that Disney owns Marvel and Star Wars, it makes sense that the bean counters are questioning this continued expense.

Plus CBS might not want to renew the agreement which means Disney may have no choice but to reimagine the ride.

And spirit knows this but would rather torture people's emotions for his own jollies. It's what he does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom