Guardians of the Galaxy coming to Energy Pavilion at Epcot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil12

Too bad the general public hates ExxonMobil now. If they go with another oil company, the show would probably just end up similar to what's already there and other power companies probably wouldn't bother.
The whole point of advertising is to make people believe your company is the best and your product is better than the competition. I use Mobil 1 in all of my engines so I'm a believer.

bhg469

The whole point of advertising is to make people believe your company is the best and your product is better than the competition. I use Mobil 1 in all of my engines so I'm a believer.
I used it in my sti, I used amsoil before that but it never blew up so...

bhg469

Musk has bigger problems right now, but he does seem to have an unhealthy love for solar power;)
There is a local solar panel factory that is in major trouble and it hasn't even opened yet. He has offered to buy it but there is some back door dealings that have it under investigation anyway. Whole thing was a mess when they announced it.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
There is a local solar panel factory that is in major trouble and it hasn't even opened yet. He has offered to buy it but there is some back door dealings that have it under investigation anyway. Whole thing was a mess when they announced it.
Once he's done bailing out his cousin and Solar City I hope they get back to the business of actually making cars. Tesla makes a pretty good product even if it's not ready for mass market sales.

On the EPCOT front, there are plenty of other energy companies besides big oil. If they wanted a sponsor focused on the future and clean energy one of the largest wind/solar power generation companies in the country, NextEra, is right down the road in Juno Beach. They are the parent company for Florida Power & Light. There are others too that might be interested. NRG has plastered solar panels over half the NFL stadiums for publicity. 10M visitors a year is a lot of publicity. Exelon is another huge nation power generation company. The point is that it's not limited to the big oil companies if they need another sponsor. Anyone know when the Exxon deal actually expires?

Edit: I found it online, the deal expired over 10 years ago. They are free to get another energy sponsor if they want to keep the pavilion themed to energy.

Last edited:

MOXOMUMD

I'm one of those dorks who love planetariums...TDO should build the most awesome, interactive planetarium ever in Epcot.

But then they'd probably stick a raccoon in it... :p
34264680-1.jpg

Phil12

Once he's done bailing out his cousin and Solar City I hope they get back to the business of actually making cars. Tesla makes a pretty good product even if it's not ready for mass market sales.

On the EPCOT front, there are plenty of other energy companies besides big oil. If they wanted a sponsor focused on the future and clean energy one of the largest wind/solar power generation companies in the country, NextEra, is right down the road in Juno Beach. They are the parent company for Florida Power & Light. There are others too that might be interested. NRG has plastered solar panels over half the NFL stadiums for publicity. 10M visitors a year is a lot of publicity. Exelon is another huge nation power generation company. The point is that it's not limited to the big oil companies if they need another sponsor. Anyone know when the Exxon deal actually expires?
I think the Exxon deal runs until they're able to frack Space Mountain.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think the Exxon deal runs until they're able to frack Space Mountain.
They just need to avoid the tunnels under the MK;)

On a more serious note, nobody involved with fracking is making money right now. They don't have the cash to pay for a sponsorship. If the economics don't change and the price of crude oil and natural gas stays suppressed a lot of those producers will go bankrupt. The scary thing is so much of our power generation has shifted from coal and even nuclear to cheap nat gas that if the supply starts to dry up we are going to see some crazy volatility in nat gas and power prices. It's not like you can easily ramp up and ramp down these drilling operations as prices go up and down. It's going to be a fun ride.

bhg469

Edit: I found it online, the deal expired over 10 years ago. They are free to get another energy sponsor if they want to keep the pavilion themed to energy.
Locally, solar city was a gimmick from the beginning. I think the more crooked side was the state and Cuomo and his lack of ethics in the deal. Solar city was merely taking advantage of the states generous offer to open up shop in WNY. It was smart business on their side... Too bad the people who run NY are nothing but modern day mob bosses.

BiffyClyro

What the hecky is everyone complaining about? Epcot needs something fresh. I'm sorry, but mission space is a load of crapola and the thought of a guardians ride is exciting. It lacks major attractions and is currently a half a day park at best. Bring it on I say.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
What the hecky is everyone complaining about? Epcot needs something fresh. I'm sorry, but mission space is a load of crapola and the thought of a guardians ride is exciting. It lacks major attractions and is currently a half a day park at best. Bring it on I say.
NOBODY is saying that Epcot DOES NOT need rides. Nobody has EVER said that. In fact,only the opposite has been said. Some people would just prefer that the park has its own identity and that the attractions resemble a shred of coherent theme and not just a hodge podge of todays hot IP's.

Do I want Epcot to have more rides? Absolutely! Do I want them to be under construction and finished by the time I visit again? Absolutely not, especially if the price is that they are just adding flashy names and movie characters so the average guest gets a chubby in their pants because there is a Star Lord AA inside a building with a discombobulated re-telling of a movie. And FWIW, its not that we couldnt enjoy that. Im not saying if they build a GoTG ride that it will be horrible. But they can do sooooooo much better. The park deserves better. And I am not hoping Epcot will "return to its former glory of the 80's and 90's", so please dont anybody mistake my plea to have a distinct, well themed park as hopes that they revert the park back to another era. That seems to be the primary defense of those wishing for anything to happen. Id prefer a new era for Epcot. A new direction. A new mission. Not a fantasy park.

DoTheImpossible

GotG in EPCOT is the clearest example that IP based rides are the standard (have been for some time now) and original story rides (e.g. Expedition Everest) are the rare exception. It's not about creating a ride that guides you through an exciting story. It's been about identifying which IP (with the highest popularity at the time) can fit a general idea. That goes for overlays as well as new rides.

"We want a shooter ride, well, Toy Story could work, we already made one for Buzz and people love that!"

"We need Frozen in the park, well, Maelstrom isn't exactly an E-Ticket, let's make it one. Plus, Norway!"

"A child may be afraid of this ride, and it is Magic Kingdom...STITCH. Genius."

With Star Wars land coming, Pandora and likely GotG (among others), the hope is they are taking a more quality approach. Create a ride that guides you through a story that needs to be told, which happens to be based off a popular IP. Not create or overlay a ride because the IP "fits" some twisted revisionist history understanding of a park, land, or ride. Hopefully they can manage at least that and give us rides worthy of the history of the parks they're being misplaced in.

BiffyClyro

NOBODY is saying that Epcot DOES NOT need rides. Nobody has EVER said that. In fact,only the opposite has been said. Some people would just prefer that the park has its own identity and that the attractions resemble a shred of coherent theme and not just a hodge podge of todays hot IP's.

Do I want Epcot to have more rides? Absolutely! Do I want them to be under construction and finished by the time I visit again? Absolutely not, especially if the price is that they are just adding flashy names and movie characters so the average guest gets a chubby in their pants because there is a Star Lord AA inside a building with a discombobulated re-telling of a movie. And FWIW, its not that we couldnt enjoy that. Im not saying if they build a GoTG ride that it will be horrible. But they can do sooooooo much better. The park deserves better. And I am not hoping Epcot will "return to its former glory of the 80's and 90's", so please dont anybody mistake my plea to have a distinct, well themed park as hopes that they revert the park back to another era. That seems to be the primary defense of those wishing for anything to happen. Id prefer a new era for Epcot. A new direction. A new mission. Not a fantasy park.

Well, you lost me after the first paragraph so sorry you had to write all that. At least they're trying to come up with something new and get rid of the rubbish that's there now. It fits with the space theme, it's fun and it's Disney... Which is what people come to see. It fits in with the Epcot theme so whatever. It will be popular and as long as people enjoy it that's all that matters. Too many people are stuck in their Disney nostalgia that they aren't open to change.

But hey, opinions are like *** holes right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom