Guardians of the Galaxy coming to Energy Pavilion at Epcot

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwilightZone

I'm wondering if there will be an educational component to this, like at the Seas with Nemo and Friends.
Guardians could have been a great replacement for the space/horizons pavillion because it could be an easy and engaging way to teach kids about space. Too bad it's replacing energy instead.

lazyboy97o

Unfortunately when corporate and government sponsorships started to die out so did the original EPCOT. Any good attraction that somewhat fits thematically and makes use of under utilized or non-utilized space would be welcome IMO.
The sponsors did not dictate the general themes of the park. Disney sought sponsors who would align with their vision. EPCOT Center died because it was the scapegoat which justified Roy E. Disney's attack on his uncle's family and the bringing in of those who would reassert the primacy of the Studio.

Mike S

I understand some of the underlying point you are getting at, but you used a poor example. Universal Studios is the model citizen for Epcot's future. It has absolutely been the worst for having complete disregard for its original vision (studio-behind the movies vs. ride our movies) and original attractions with rapid turnover. Nearly everything has been kicked out at this point (aside from ET) and replaced with new "in" IP. Some of which people certainly feel are rotten (Transformers and Fast and Furious for starters).

THE DIFFERENCE is that they didn't let their park rot as badly in between and unapologetically just went ahead and changed it. The execution also is the big difference. Regardless of my thoughts on the exterior of things like Transformers and the underlying IP, it does make for a fun attraction. I too like Universal Studios, if that isn't clear.

Epcot's problem is we've been beating the same dead horse for two decades and fans have some weird lingering hope EPCOT will rise from the ashes. Epcot foregoing its original vision is obviously disappointing, but trying to cling has put the park into today's situation. I'd rather Epcot turn into the unapologetic turnover that has become USO's approach and be a good park, rather than the mess it is.

I don't understand Disney fans who not only want to keep something a museum, they want to keep it a graveyard. I have no problem with mourning what we've lost, but can we please try to move forward? Its been dead for so long.
I could begrudgingly move forward with Epcot if they're really serious and go all out with it like your comparison to Universal. Make the best GotG ride they can. Put amazing rides in World Showcase *cough* Beauty and the Beast *cough*. Fix Imagination. It's the one ride where the original idea would still work wonders as an amazing family dark ride rather than something like "bring back Horizons!!!" however much someone like me would like that as well. Nemo will always pail in comparison to Disneyland's submarine version so I don't really know what they could do there to improve that ride but it needs it. Gran Fiesta could use help too beyond the added AAs at the end. Mission: SPACE is already rumored to get some updates out of this whole thing so that hopefully will work out fine. If I could ask just one more thing from the new direction of the park it would be this: leave Spaceship Earth and the American Adventure alone except in the case of proper updates every once in a while. Living with the Land too. They certainly have the space to do whatever they want in the rest of the park without touching those.

Edit: This one is very unlikely but I'd also like to see all mentions of EPCOT Center dropped from merchandise. It's like they're rubbing salt in the wound and shoving it in our faces trying to make a quick buck off of fans of the greatness of a bygone era.

I would still mourn the loss of what once was but there is absolutely nothing anyone can do about it at this point unless someone amazing becomes the next CEO so I'll just take my cool rides out of it and view the direction of parks like Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios much more favorably.
For me it's still a little hard to stomach. In my mind MK has the characters and classic Disney style dark rides while EPCOT has World Showcase and a bunch of pavilions with slightly educational themes. It's hard for me to see them just change Future World into something like IOA or what is soon to be DHS. If this plan ends up working out and getting built is it the end of Future World? I am having a hard time understanding how a GoTG ride or land can fit in the theme of entertaining, informing and inspiring. If they just use GoTG characters to tell a story about a topic like energy I'm not sure that is much better. It may be an attempt to hang on to the original theme but it could potential make it a lesser ride experience. I think once I get over the complete death of the original concept of EPCOT Center (which a lot of people think died ~20 years ago) I might be able to get behind this idea. I need some time to digest and come to terms with this.
A ride in which the GotG teach us about energy or anything really would be a double blow as both being pointless for having them there at all to teach us something and the fact that's it's not the kind of ride any fan of the movie would want.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
A ride in which the GotG teach us about energy or anything really would be a double blow as both being pointless for having them there at all to teach us something and the fact that's it's not the kind of ride any fan of the movie would want.
I was thinking the same thing. If the 2 options are poor fit with great ride or an attempt to fit the old theme with a lame ride I'd rather just have the cool ride.

Captain Neo

It isn't.

Not sure how you can say it isn't real when you yourself have alluded to GOtG taking over UOE and WOL. They aren't going to keep the old corporate pavilion concept over time it will all be mostly phased out replaced by IP based attractions.

Daveeeeed

Couple of questions. Has this been confirmed by multiple insiders, or just purely speculation? Also would the interior be gutted or the building torn down completely. Would it be a coaster? Any timeline suggestions? Thanks, if anyone knows even one of these please say. :)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Couple of questions. Has this been confirmed by multiple insiders, or just purely speculation? Also would the interior be gutted or the building torn down completely. Would it be a coaster? Any timeline suggestions? Thanks, if anyone knows even one of these please say. :)
Both WDW1974 and Marni confirmed that GoTG to EPCOT is the current plan. Pretty much as solid a confirmation as we can get. No clue on whether it would be a coaster or dark ride or a combo or if it will use existing building or new. All good questions that hopefully we will start to hear answers on soon. One rumor was that it could be as early as Sept that Energy would close but not sure how reliable that rumor is. This is Disney so the timeline is 3+ years from breaking ground so late 2019 at the earliest if they really started as early as Sept.

Daveeeeed

Both WDW1974 and Marni confirmed that GoTG to EPCOT is the current plan. Pretty much as solid a confirmation as we can get. No clue on whether it would be a coaster or dark ride or a combo or if it will use existing building or new. All good questions that hopefully we will start to hear answers on soon. One rumor was that it could be as early as Sept that Energy would close but not sure how reliable that rumor is. This is Disney so the timeline is 3+ years from breaking ground so late 2019 at the earliest if they really started as early as Sept.
Thanks!! I think Q4 2018 is what they're shooting for. Earlier than Star Wars Land, and later than Toy Story Land.

mickey v-neck

Do we think guardians will be an overlay of the existing energy ride, or a new ride system altogether? Will it be in the same building or will the tear down energy and build something new?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Not sure how you can say it isn't real when you yourself have alluded to GOtG taking over UOE and WOL..

I don't make the rules. As it stands MS (the ride) will be the same. Seas will get some TLC. Imag will change eventually but at the moment it's long term. Looks like CCore west could get more M&G space if that'll satisfy your IP desire?

SSEs direction will depend a great deal on if Siemens renews next year. At the moment it is staying the same.

Last edited:

SpaceMountain77

I don't make the rules. As it stands MS (the ride) will be the same. Seas will get some TLC. Imag will change eventually but at the moment it's long term. Looks like CCore west could get more M&G space if that'll satisfy your IP desire?

SSEs direction will depend a great deal on if Siemens renews next year. At the moment it is staying the same.

Alright, @marni1971 , now you have me worried about Spaceship Earth. I kindly ask that you just rip off the bandaid because the slow pull is just too painful! :(

Are the tiny little seeds that are reaching up to meet their need safe?

Marlins1

Alright, @marni1971 , now you have me worried about Spaceship Earth. I kindly ask that you just rip off the bandaid because the slow pull is just too painful! :(

Are the tiny little seeds that are reaching up to meet their need safe?
Spaceship Earth is still popular so hopefully it is safe. Energy is a very large building that really is underutilized in terms of guest traffic so I see it as a different scenario. Hope I'm right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom