Guardians of the Galaxy coming to Energy Pavilion at Epcot

Status
Not open for further replies.

WDWTank

That is surprising considering she was not even alive when the fashion and popculture references in the attraction were prevelent and especially considering how much more we have learned about Energy in the last 20 years.
I like attractions that existed when I wasn't even born yet. Alien Encounter, Horizons, 20,000 Leagues, :) I also like Energy but don't understand why Disney wants to close the ride for rumored Guardians. They gotta be out of their mind. I want to know what drugs they've been in when making that decision. Then, hopefully they get fired for neglecting the parks and annoying us fans. Also this isn't Disney but I still don't forgive Universal for closing Back to the Future. What sounds more exciting, crashing through a carnival or traveling through time?

bclane

I have zero issues with a woman breastfeeding anywhere, but on the ride itself? lol. Just seems strange to me
My wife was the same with our two kids. She breast fed them whenever and whereever. We figuered a baby gotta eat when a baby gotta eat. Plus, We figured most people would prefer not to listen to our baby cry while we waited for a more private place to become available. I still don't understood why some people are so bothered by public breast feeding but to each their own I guess.

Kman101

My wife was the same with our two kids. She breast fed them whenever and whereever. We figuered a baby gotta eat when a baby gotta eat. Plus, We figured most people would prefer not to listen to our baby cry while we waited for a more private place to become available. I still don't understood why some people are so bothered by public breast feeding but to each their own I guess.

I'm not bothered by it just wondering why it was done on the ride lol but to each their own. Guess I should have known someone might take it the wrong way

DrewmanS

I was 11 when I attended EPCOT's grand opening. Spaceship Earth and Universe of Energy were my favorite rides. UoE seemed to have it all: the rotating screens of the pre-show was unique with a deep base sound system that made my chest thump, a theatre that rotated and then (What?) became a trackless ride vehicle powered by solar cells on the roof, the smell of the swamp, seeing life size dinosaurs and flowing lava, and a catchy song you kept humming after you left the pavilion.

I had ridden it dozens of times and it always felt the same. The first time after the Ellen update it was interesting to see the changes, but it felt flat. There were timely references, but a show based around Jeopardy? You no longer feel like you are being transported back in time. The Ellen AA took away from the believability of the dinosaurs. And the finale: no multiple projections, no mirror walls, and no theme song. Over the years, I would take people on the ride who had never experienced it, but it was no longer a must do. I rode it for the first time in years this past January. Even though the park was busy, the pre-show had a few dozen people at mid-day. People groaned at the humor and about 1/4 walked out. Most of the laughs were from the dated references and Ellen's phone. Entering the main theatre we were told that we were sitting in ride vehicles (long gone was the illusion that it was just a theatre) and the ride would last 45 minutes and you can't leave after the show starts. This announcement was made 5 or 6 times with each successive announcement taking on more of the tone "really, after all this you still want to stay?" About another 1/4 guests walked out leaving a handful of people in each of the front 3 ride vehicles. The rest of the ride/show I felt myself flashing back to my memories of the 11 year old experiencing it for the first time. I didn't feel educated or entertained, just sad.

We live in a different time now. If EPCOT opened today, I don't know if UoE, World of Motion, Horizons, or Seabase Alpha would get the same reaction as they first did in 1982. The idea for Future World was a permanent World's Fair, but there is probably a reason why World's Fairs are only open 3-6 months and are built anew every 3-5 years. The tag line for EPCOTs opening was "The 21st Century begins October 1, 1982". That was 17 years into the future, it's now 17 years in the past. To be viable, Future World may have to become more "Futuristic World" focusing more on IP based entertainment than education. EPCOT will never be what it was, time will tell what it can become.

BenJacobs

I wouldn't be bothered anywhere else, but it was just very weird to have it occur in the dark, two metres in front of me and very near 5-ish others. This just would surely make everybody on the boat quite uncomfortable, as normaly, if there is a kid being fed, you are just walking past.

bclane

I wouldn't be bothered anywhere else, but it was just very weird to have it occur in the dark, two metres in front of me and very near 5-ish others. This just would surely make everybody on the boat quite uncomfortable, as normaly, if there is a kid being fed, you are just walking past.
I guess I'm probably just used to it but yah it's probably not super common. lol!

HMF

I was 11 when I attended EPCOT's grand opening. Spaceship Earth and Universe of Energy were my favorite rides. UoE seemed to have it all: the rotating screens of the pre-show was unique with a deep base sound system that made my chest thump, a theatre that rotated and then (What?) became a trackless ride vehicle powered by solar cells on the roof, the smell of the swamp, seeing life size dinosaurs and flowing lava, and a catchy song you kept humming after you left the pavilion.

I had ridden it dozens of times and it always felt the same. The first time after the Ellen update it was interesting to see the changes, but it felt flat. There were timely references, but a show based around Jeopardy? You no longer feel like you are being transported back in time. The Ellen AA took away from the believability of the dinosaurs. And the finale: no multiple projections, no mirror walls, and no theme song. Over the years, I would take people on the ride who had never experienced it, but it was no longer a must do. I rode it for the first time in years this past January. Even though the park was busy, the pre-show had a few dozen people at mid-day. People groaned at the humor and about 1/4 walked out. Most of the laughs were from the dated references and Ellen's phone. Entering the main theatre we were told that we were sitting in ride vehicles (long gone was the illusion that it was just a theatre) and the ride would last 45 minutes and you can't leave after the show starts. This announcement was made 5 or 6 times with each successive announcement taking on more of the tone "really, after all this you still want to stay?" About another 1/4 guests walked out leaving a handful of people in each of the front 3 ride vehicles. The rest of the ride/show I felt myself flashing back to my memories of the 11 year old experiencing it for the first time. I didn't feel educated or entertained, just sad.

We live in a different time now. If EPCOT opened today, I don't know if UoE, World of Motion, Horizons, or Seabase Alpha would get the same reaction as they first did in 1982. The idea for Future World was a permanent World's Fair, but there is probably a reason why World's Fairs are only open 3-6 months and are built anew every 3-5 years. The tag line for EPCOTs opening was "The 21st Century begins October 1, 1982". That was 17 years into the future, it's now 17 years in the past. To be viable, Future World may have to become more "Futuristic World" focusing more on IP based entertainment than education. EPCOT will never be what it was, time will tell what it can become.
I understand the sentiment and I have had this argument with many people who say "The Millennium Celebration is long over, we must replace Reflections of Earth. The concept of dreams for a better tomorrow and moving on through the good times and the tears is just as valid now as it was in 1982 or 1999/2000 and I feel that at this time where we are at a very important turning point that could determine whether we have a future at all that the EPCOT message is critical and abandoning it to me would be symbolic of an abandonment of any hope or optimism for the future.

UpAllNight

So difficult trying to plan a holiday years in advance. We love the new attractions as they help justify the costs a bit more especially coming from the Uk and going all out when we do go, but we're stuck at the moment. We normally go every few years, but we're feeling early 2019 we'll miss Star Wars, at 2020 you're a year from the 50th and I'm imagining many new things and 2021 is 4 bleeding years away...that's far too long! First world problems over here.

I don't feel like if I go in 2019 I'll see anything new that has not yet been announced. 2020 seems like the year before the big un.

bclane

So difficult trying to plan a holiday years in advance. We love the new attractions as they help justify the costs a bit more especially coming from the Uk and going all out when we do go, but we're stuck at the moment. We normally go every few years, but we're feeling early 2019 we'll miss Star Wars, at 2020 you're a year from the 50th and I'm imagining many new things and 2021 is 4 bleeding years away...that's far too long! First world problems over here.

I don't feel like if I go in 2019 I'll see anything new that has not yet been announced. 2020 seems like the year before the big un.
As your new travel agent, I'm strongly recommending that you come in the fall of 2019 and then again in 2021. That way you get two trips to Disney and most of the goodies. :)

UpAllNight

As your new travel agent, I'm strongly recommending that you come in the fall of 2019 and then again in 2021. That way you get two trips to Disney and most of the goodies. :)

Haha we normally stay on I-Drive but go for 16 nights - 21 nights but we maybe wait 4 years (ouch) and catch loads of new stuff in 2021 and stay in a top Disney hotel. I'm hoping D23 helps this decision but I don't think anything announced in 2015 is open yet, so it's unlikely.

bclane

Haha we normally stay on I-Drive but go for 16 nights - 21 nights but we maybe wait 4 years (ouch) and catch loads of new stuff in 2021 and stay in a top Disney hotel. I'm hoping D23 helps this decision but I don't think anything announced in 2015 is open yet, so it's unlikely.
You have more self control than me (which is a good thing to have obviously ). Lol!

UpAllNight

You have more self control than me (which is a good thing to have obviously ). Lol!

4 years is just so long I don't think I will last. Plus, you only live once...who knows what may happen (wow that turned grim). I think I'd have to see some Epcot improvements by 2019 to justify the cost of staying at Yacht club which is the plan. With it on your doorstep it needs to be a park I can spend a lot of time in to make the onsite nature worthwhile.

Cousin Huet

Did you download the ride picture?

This act is the ultimate "I see the attention you're giving me, I like it, I want more of it!" I really don't care but it's just quite obvious the game being played.

We had a girl in our shop that had a guitar she hauled around trying to play, we called it her "attention stick" and this is all the same principle. "Hey, look at me!" Same as the shrinking shorts and bathing suits.....shrinking decency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom