Guardians of the Galaxy coming to Energy Pavilion at Epcot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike S

Yes, which is why I continue to write that Walt Disney World needs to open an entire theme park (a few attractions here or there ain't gonna cut it) by 2025. :D

View attachment 182333

WDW doesn't just need ride capacity; that's only a partial solution. It doesn't solve the problem of overcrowded walkways, stores, restaurants, bus stops, etc. WDW needs space to spread out those Guests. WDW needs a 5th Gate sometime next decade.
Another half day park when they already have some? No thank you.
Those walkways are overcrowded because of poor distribution built around over planning. All of Walt Disney World is underbuilt and a fifth gate doesn't fix those problems since it too would be underbuilt given Disney's patterns since 1994.
^ He gets it.
Folks need to look at spending holistically. Disney has committed to projects in Shanghai, Hong Kong, Paris, Disneyland, Disney's Animal Kingdom, and Disney Hollywood Studios. And don't forget that Disney has ordered two more cruise ships at a billion a pop.

As a percentage of revenue, combined domestic and international capex is the highest it's been since 2000. I never thought Iger would spend at these levels. Spending needs to wind down on at least some projects before Disney commits even more at Epcot.

Let's hope Pandora is a rousing success. If it fails to meet financial expectations, future investments will be in jeopardy.
Don't forget Marvel in DCA.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
They do talk about GMO's. That entire "outdoor" section is about GMO's.

There are plenty of YouTube videos of the ride. Could you please post a link to one with a time designation where they talk about Genetically Modified Organisms?

You won't find it.

And you and @Otterhead need to stop with the "it's packed" "no, it's empty" back and forth. When Epcot is at peak, there definitely is a half hour line. When Epcot isn't at peak, it's a walk-on ride. It's not either-or.

And @Otterhead, when I went to Epcot the first week of December, I simply showed up at the counter and was on the next Behind the Seeds tour. It is not always booked for a week in advanced, that happens only at peak times.

HauntedMansionFLA

Another half day park when they already have some? No thank you.

^ He gets it.

Don't forget Marvel in DCA.
EPCOT is key to helping with the crowds flocking to WDW (MK big time) The infrastructure is there, the park is huge, people love WS and you have some really good attractions there already. Hopefully Team Disney will have a over the top plan for the park. DAK and DHS plans are in motion. We were there the first of December and had forgotten how big the park is. If you want to "spread out the crowds", start with EPCOT.

Luxe

A week or two ago on the monorail, I heard a mother ask her kids if they wanted to go to Epcot later. Both of the kids replied with "no, Epcot is boring", which made my heart sink into my stomach. It's devastating to think that the young generation growing up with Disney World doesn't get to experience the wonder and excitement of a park like Epcot Center. When I was a kid, I was always pumped to visit. It was always the first and last park we went to.

On the other hand, on a late night ride through of Living with the Land about a week ago, there were two children with their families sitting in front of me. Both of the kids were incredibly enthusiastic about the ride, pointing out the plants and vegetables that they like to their parents and in awe of how it was all being grown.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
13:05 Meester Penquin

"In our lab, Epcot scientists are working with the U.S. Department of Agriculture on a number of innovative projects. The goal of these efforts is to produce higher-yielding and better-quality plants."

That's not a mention "GMO" or "Genetically Modified Organisms." While it is possible that GMOs are involved, it's just as possible they are not... unless you have proof that Disney and the USDA have worked on GMOs?

Luxe

"In our lab, Epcot scientists are workinG with the U.S. Department of Agriculture on a nuMber of innovative projects. The goal of these efforts is to prOduce higher-yielding and better-quality plants."

That's not a mention "GMO" or "Genetically Modified Organisms." While it is possible that GMOs are involved, it's just as possible they are not... unless you have proof that Disney and the USDA have worked on GMOs?
Clearly you are ignoring the obvious mention of GMOs to satisfy your agenda...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
That said, a clarification: is the "admission" that DHS needs help take into account the current projects? IOW, are TSL and Star Wars (and whatever show modifications happen) internally expected to be the "help needed" or is there an understanding that the park needs additional help beyond those already planned/greenlit projects?
There's proposals beyond these projects but nothing solid let alone seriously planned. But it's probably fair to say there always are such proposals for every park to a certain degree.

azox

They're not ready.

The possible January closure was to save on manpower, not to begin work.

Was this the same reason why the innovations areas were closed? Seems like they closed down all of the interactive areas and saved on man power to staff it and yet nothing is being done there yet.

Otterhead

need to stop with the "it's packed" "no, it's empty" back and forth. When Epcot is at peak, there definitely is a half hour line. When Epcot isn't at peak, it's a walk-on ride. It's not either-or.

And @Otterhead, when I went to Epcot the first week of December, I simply showed up at the counter and was on the next Behind the Seeds tour. It is not always booked for a week in advanced, that happens only at peak times.

I most definitely didn't mean to imply it was always packed. I don't think I ever said that. I said that when I went last, there was a half-hour wait. I've also had times during non-peak where I've walked on. What I said, specifically, was that it's still "popular" -- as in, it's been around for 30+ years and draws steady riders.

The last two times I've gone (once during peak, once non-peak) I wasn't able to go on the Seeds tour due to it being booked up. Chalk that up to bad timing.

The point wasn't to claim that The Land is insanely popular. It was that EPCOT still draws crowds park-wide, and that there's plenty of kids and adults who don't think educational stuff is "boring". Heck, there's lots of us who go there for the educational stuff.

Last edited:

aladdin2007

There's proposals beyond these projects but nothing solid let alone seriously planned. But it's probably fair to say there always are such proposals for every park to a certain degree.

is the great mickey movie ride (so to speak) still on the drawing board? it seems to have gone quiet lately.

FigmentJedi

The proposed location is the whole point. Not worth doing otherwise.
A repurposed animation building would be just as worthy a location for the Mickey ride if not moreso. It gives the Animation Courtyard something of value, which it has been lacking for some time. Additionally, with the park's theme shifting towards entering the movies, the Great Movie Ride should absolutely remain as a way to showcase other film genres that the single IP lands won't cover.

jt04

A repurposed animation building would be just as worthy a location for the Mickey ride if not moreso. It gives the Animation Courtyard something of value, which it has been lacking for some time. Additionally, with the park's theme shifting towards entering the movies, the Great Movie Ride should absolutely remain as a way to showcase other film genres that the single IP lands won't cover.

If they used the Animation building they would have to tear it down first. I just don't see that happening before SWL opens.

I think it is possible the new GMR will showcase other genre other than animation. However it will all be Disney IP. I could be wrong on the first point.

Stuff like Casablanca is just increasingly irrelevant in a Disney theme park. Thankfully it will live on through other media however.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom