Guardians of the Galaxy coming to Energy Pavilion at Epcot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Earl Sweatpants

no, it isn't, as been pointed out many, many times. Its about what characters that were and or are being used by Universal and THOSE character's direct tie ins, a run in in a movie with them doesn't amount to the same thing.

Again, folks, its time to look at reality, if they could only use something for a short time, they would not be this far along building a whole new ride for it(granted new ride in an existing one).

We need to stop being armchair lawyers around here

Agreed. I really don't think Disney would have gone ahead with this (assuming everything is a go at this point) without considering the possible legal ramifications in usage of the property.

Earl Sweatpants

Some people just don't want Marvel in the parks, and the contract is their best hope. A few years ago people said we wouldn't see Big Hero 6 in WDW because of the contract.

The anti-Marvel in parks sentiment aside, I still don't think Disney would have been that short-sighted in their efforts to add things into the parks if there would have been legal ramifications.

Next Big Thing

In that case they already would have been disqualified, because they've had several appearances in Avengers cartoons, and appearing in several stories with the Avengers in the comics before then.
Have you noticed that the Guardians have never appeared as a Meet & Greet during regular park hours? Seems strange for an IP that they want in the parks so badly...

rioriz

Have you noticed that the Guardians have never appeared as a Meet & Greet during regular park hours? Seems strange for an IP that they want in the parks so badly...

Disney has been toeing the line with Guardians since the GMR update...I really don't see why Uni would even care at this point. No signs point to them wanting Guardians in their parks. I think the hardcore of Universal Fans oppose this ride happening just for the sake of there being a Marvel ride in a WDW park and the "Contract" may have to be questioned...

CanadianGordon

I would like to be pleasantly surprised that whatever gets done with Epcot it's not just a few things here and there. The poor park has had such little love towards it over the years it's referred to as drink around the world.
It used to be so much more than that.

Next Big Thing

Disney has been toeing the line with Guardians since the GMR update...I really don't see why Uni would even care at this point. No signs point to them wanting Guardians in their parks. I think the hardcore of Universal Fans oppose this ride happening just for the sake of there being a Marvel ride in a WDW park and the "Contract" may have to be questioned...
The only real way to test the waters though imo is to set up a daily Meet & Greet and advertise it. If Comcast hits back and says something, then they know they may have reached the line.

Or at least where Comcast considers the line to be.

Earl Sweatpants

Even @marni1971 has said today (Post #3090, Pg 155) "It's a debate if the ride will be GotG without actually being called GotG".

To me, that signifies grey lines and possible contract issues.

Forgive me for asking a stupid question, but how is Disney allowed to use GotG in DCA (confirmed) but they wouldn't be allowed to use it at WDW?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Even @marni1971 has said today (Post #3090, Pg 155) "It's a debate if the ride will be GotG without actually being called GotG".

To me, that signifies grey lines and possible contract issues.

The name really should enter into it from a legal standpoint, it's the use of the characters that is in the licensing agreement, not their names.

Next Big Thing

Forgive me for asking a stupid question, but how is Disney allowed to use GotG in DCA (confirmed) but they wouldn't be allowed to use it at WDW?
You're asking to go down a huge rabbit hole with that question...

Long story short, Universal owns the theme park rights FOREVER to The Avengers Family, X-Men and Fantastic 4 east of the Mississippi.

Earl Sweatpants

You're asking to go down a huge rabbit hole with that question...

Long story short, Universal owns the theme park rights FOREVER to The Avengers characters, X-Men and Fantastic 4 east of the Mississippi.

Not a huge fan of rabbits...so...sounds like only major Marvel characters in DL and DCA...got it.

Next Big Thing

Not a huge fan of rabbits...so...sounds like only major Marvel characters in DL and DCA...got it.
They can build Marvel anywhere internationally as well EXCEPT Tokyo. Uni Japan has exclusivity of Marvel until a certain year (as that park has The Spider-Man ride an a contract in place).

Hong Kong is opening an Iron Man ride this fall.

Earl Sweatpants

Not really. The contract originally gave them broader exclusivity, but if they did not use the Marvel characters in certain regions within a set amount of time, they exclusivity "shrunk" to the regions where they are using it.

well, bully for Universal. It must be a mind-trip to go to Universal Florida parks to see the Avengers and then come to CA to see the same characters at DL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom