Guardians of the Galaxy coming to Energy Pavilion at Epcot

Status
Not open for further replies.

doctornick

Epcot has needed a major coaster since it opened.

Oh wait, no it doesn't. Never mind.

Ironically, of course, is that a coaster was planned at the time the park was developed -- they were going to put a Swiss pavilion between Germany and Italy with a copy of the Matterhorn. Ok, that's not a "major" coaster, but it shows that even then they did believe something with a thrill element would have fit the park -- in the proper place and with the proper theme.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I've got the solution to this whole thing. I can't believe I never thought of this before. I'm going to sell Disney a movie script about a dude who builds a successful theme park empire by thinking about what actually fits into the theme for a given park and for a specific area. Then, that IP can become an "umbrella IP" for all the parks and resorts. I realize it will have to make a ton of money though, so don't worry. Cleavage, fart jokes, and pointless violence will make more than occasional appearances. I think I'll call my protagonist Wilt Dasney. He'll be loosely based on someone who used to be important to the company.

RoysCabin

I've got the solution to this whole thing. I can't believe I never thought of this before. I'm going to sell Disney a movie script about a dude who builds a successful theme park empire by thinking about what actually fits into the theme for a given park and for a specific area. Then, that IP can become an "umbrella IP" for all the parks and resorts. I realize it will have to make a ton of money though, so don't worry. Cleavage, fart jokes, and pointless violence will make more than occasional appearances. I think I'll call my protagonist Wilt Dasney. He'll be loosely based on someone who used to be important to the company.

He'll be based on Ward Dizzley?!

Kylo Ken

Local Idiot
I guess this is the crop duster in me coming out but unfortunately I have accepted Epcot's fate and the direction the company and parks are heading in. I'm not too happy about it but I'm going to stay optimistic about this. If this is the way things are going to proceed then I hope they knock it out of the park (no pun intended). I'm not a GotG fan by any means but I can't imagine it being too awful. In the mean time, I am going to go ride EEA this weekend and enjoy the limited time it has.

By all means though, please keep going with the arm chair imagineering. Some of you actually have great ideas.

Yeah, it would be nice if they could somehow move the huge dinosaur scenes (or create similar ones) to Dinoland USA.

I would just like to say that as wonderful as those old dioramas are, the actual dinosaurs are so so so painfully inaccurate at this point that I can NOT imagine they would (or should) be retained in any capacity. Having them around today is actually an affront to science. (Especially in relation to fossil fuels but that's another story.) Perhaps, the actual animatronic machinery would be better off stripped, re-skinned and put to use as monstrous alien beasts. Heck, their current incarnation today more closely resembles "monstrous alien beasts" than dinosaurs as we understand them today or even twenty years ago!

DisneyDebRob

Clearly not a hit. To impossible. Like someone would actually be that creative? Oh wait, fart jokes? I'm in then!!

Mike S

I just want to see Dinosaurs presented in a cool way with giant animatronics... This blows.
Also, a walkthrough dinosaur zoo exhibit is waaaay to obvious for Dinoland.
I know. :( I just want to touch the dinosaurs.. I'm a big kid at heart.
There's always Dinosaur and JPRA. Also this whenever it starts touring and if it comes to the US.

I will always have a soft spot for the UoE Dinos though, even if they are inaccarute by today's scientific standards :(
Ironically, of course, is that a coaster was planned at the time the park was developed -- they were going to put a Swiss pavilion between Germany and Italy with a copy of the Matterhorn. Ok, that's not a "major" coaster, but it shows that even then they did believe something with a thrill element would have fit the park -- in the proper place and with the proper theme.
Don't forget Japan and Mt. Fuji.

CanadianGordon

There's always Dinosaur and JPRA. Also this whenever it starts touring and if it comes to the US.

I will always have a soft spot for the UoE Dinos though, even if they are inaccarute by today's scientific standards :(

Don't forget Japan and Mt. Fuji.

Good point. ;) I keep missing the touring dinos. Saw How 2 Train Your Dragon Live a few years back when it came to Toronto. Utterly amazing. Wish Disney would get back in the wish fulfillment game again. I want to ride a dragon. Or a dino. I'm not picky. ;)

zengoth

...a mix of science fiction and life science.

Because we can count on everyone to know the difference?
Ironically (but not really) when I first went to Tomorrowland in the '70s, right before Space Mountain - Tomorrowland seemed more geared towards what Future World became. Flight to the Moon was a reasonable emulator, American the Beautiful did what Soarin' does now, even If You Had Wings at least shilled exotic ports of call (but not exactly "futuristic"). When COP arrived - there was no Tomorrow actually in it, just the promise of great one (from General Electric products). Now MK's Tomorrowland is all about sci-fi and fantasy (and gas-belching go-carts) and that's fine. Mixing fact and fiction in EPCOT doesn't seem like a win for anyone but the Corporation.

EPCOTCenterLover

"I had assumed it would be a coaster from the start because it would create a triumvirate of thrills in Future World East, with Guardians of the Galaxy, Mission: Space, and Test Track."

Interesting observation!

Cesar R M

Entertained? Sure. Inspired? Probably not so much.
I may have been a younger kid when I practically lived at Epcot, but I don't recall leaving any rides and thinking..."gosh, I'm being sold something here." I just remember the great rides, music, characters, and feelings of imagination that came forth.
pretty sure all those are drowned by the great "BUY DVC" kiosks and BUY MERCHANDISE OF DISNEYS IP in every corner.

but that doesnt sell millions of toys!

SYNERGY! screams Chapek as he counts walls of money from Star Wars and Marvel.

Cesar R M

Shh george, you will be kicked and then "mind sweeped" a la Men in Black 2.

whatshouldwedo2.jpg

Can't wait to read the truly vomit inducing and contrived backstory/defense/other corporate pixie dust b.s. about how this will thematically fit into Future World. Sickening, all of it.

Probably will end repeating the same as always...
disneyisbusiness_monstersinnc.jpg

Ismael Flores

According to rumors DCA is suppose to get a marvel theme coaster hybrid. Can this be the same ride Epcot will get but rethemed to guardians.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
<Pops in to see how this thread is going>

<Clicks out of thread to go silently weep at desk>

You don't like roller coasters?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Won't it be kewl to go zoom zoom through space with Rocket Racoon?!?

Ah, glad to see you've come around.

:cautious:

Roller coaster that shows your potential and kinetic energy at different points. Relax right here at the top of the lift hill. Man, that potential energy is big. "WHOOOAAAAAAA"...A 4D high def film that showed you power being generated in different ways (blast of heat when the solar panels rotate towards you, mist coming out of the coal fired power plant stack, wind as the windmills rotate, splash of water when the dam is opened, you fly into a nuclear power plant and your perspective keeps getting smaller until the activity of the nuclei is all around you....), and an interactive area where you do different chores with and without the aid of various things that require power to make us more efficient. Pretty hard to think of I know.

tl:dr

Lerning is boring @George Me just want to go zoom zoom like @sshindel says.

Hula Popper

I'm sorry, but who exactly is being short-sighted here? Disney for its (purported) decision to replace Universe of Energy with a Guardians of the Galaxy Coaster or those who fail to recognize that this ride will be just a more modernized edutainment attraction about energy!?!?

Origin

The Power Stone

The Power Stone is a remnant of one of the six singularities which existed before the universe. After the universe came into existence, the Cosmic Entities used the energies of these singularities to forge six immensely powerful objects known as Infinity Stones. Hence its name, the Power Stone represented the destructive nature of the universe, and was incredibly powerful, capable of annihilating entire planets.

Energy Projection: The Power Stone can be used to produce blasts, explosions, storms, orbs or tornados of lethal, purple, fire-like energy. When used at its maximum potential, it can produce an energy wave strong enough to consume an entire planet. Though the Stone seems incapable of performing this function inside a containment orb, instruments such as the Universal Weapon can be used to contain it, preventing the need to directly touch the stone and experience its deadly effects, and still exploit its full power. There has only been two known instances where living creatures have channeled the energy of the Orb. The first resulted in the death of all those who were present. The second was by the Guardians of the Galaxy, whose leader first grabbed it and was being killed by it before the others grabbed his hands and each others to share the energy and their leader released some of the energy to kill Ronan the Accuser. When the energy touched living things, it corroded and burned them by first coursing through and then causing them to burn and disintegrate until they are reduced to purple ambers that then fade. The process of being destroyed by the Stone's power is seemingly extremely painful.

Source: http://marvelcinematicuniverse.wikia.com/wiki/Orb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom