Guardians of the Galaxy coming to Energy Pavilion at Epcot

Status
Not open for further replies.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
<Pops in to see how this thread is going>

I took the bait from our old friend "click-bait" and it is rumored that the GotG ride will be a roller coaster? Is there any truth to this or did I just fall victim to the infamous click-bait?

Aside from the obvious arguments about placement, theme, holding on to the essence of EPCOT etc, if true, this may actually be pretty cool. I've never seen GotG nor do I care to, but I guess you can't stop progress and might as well look at it from a glass half full approach.

It may not be completely wrong.

<Clicks out of thread to go silently weep at desk>

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
I mean, I know that it's the final nail in the coffin of a once-inspiring park. I know that it's a signal that the people in charge of WDW and Epcot are so bereft of creativity that they can not find a way to make an intersting and fun attraciton from a topic that is only one of the most important facing our species today. I know that its not even that they are struggling to find a way to make an attraction fit into the space since they are going to demolish the building, meaning they literally could build nearly anything. I know that it means that Disney is waving the white flag at it's attempt to simultaneously educate and entertain people. I know that it's strictly cashing in on a popular film to sell merchandise and tickets. I know it shows that Disney doesn't care about concept and/or theme anymore.

Won't it be kewl to go zoom zoom through space with Rocket Racoon?!?

flyerjab

Well, this topic is suddenly showing up all over the place.

Although, this time I am seeing that it will be a huge E-Ticket coaster with show elements similar to the Captain America coaster going into DL. Had not heard that as of yet.

sedati

I mean, I know that it's the final nail in the coffin of a once-inspiring park. I know that it's a signal that the people in charge of WDW and Epcot are so bereft of creativity that they can not find a way to make an intersting and fun attraciton from a topic that is only one of the most important facing our species today. I know that its not even that they are struggling to find a way to make an attraction fit into the space since they are going to demolish the building, meaning they literally could build nearly anything. I know that it means that Disney is waving the white flag at it's attempt to simultaneously educate and entertain people. I know that it's strictly cashing in on a popular film to sell merchandise and tickets. I know it shows that Disney doesn't care about concept and/or theme anymore.

Won't it be kewl to go zoom zoom through space with Rocket Racoon?!?
I believe one can be entertained by the much maligned IPs as much as by the corporate shilling you miss so much. Both generations of the park were selling you something- now it's just more upfront and dare I say it, innocent. Is bending ideas to serve a popular IP worse than having imagineers twist themselves around to serve a brand sponsor? Look at the history of the land pavilion and what might have been.

Bocabear

I believe one can be entertained by the much maligned IPs as much as by the corporate shilling you miss so much. Both generations of the park were selling you something- now it's just more upfront and dare I say it, innocent. Is bending ideas to serve a popular IP worse than having imagineers twist themselves around to serve a brand sponsor? Look at the history of the land pavilion and what might have been.
I don't remember any shilling in Horizon's...only corporate identity was a logo visible at the exit... The Living Seas had the corporate sponsor's name projected in the pre-show..no mention of the sponsor or sales pitch was ever made...Same with most of the corporate sponsored pavilions.. the biggest "shill" was that the sponsor's logo was used... Which is a lot more low key than say Nemo's integration into The Living Seas...

Earl Sweatpants

Entertained? Sure. Inspired? Probably not so much.
I may have been a younger kid when I practically lived at Epcot, but I don't recall leaving any rides and thinking..."gosh, I'm being sold something here." I just remember the great rides, music, characters, and feelings of imagination that came forth.

KikoKea

Last time DH and I were at Epcot, shaking our heads at the state of things, we agreed that WDW needed an attraction that would blow everyone away. Not an overlay, not some cheap refurbishment, but something with cutting edge tech that would outdo anything currently in WDW or Uni.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Sure. No reason it couldn't be done with adherence to proper theme.

Roller coaster that shows your potential and kinetic energy at different points. Relax right here at the top of the lift hill. Man, that potential energy is big. "WHOOOAAAAAAA"...A 4D high def film that showed you power being generated in different ways (blast of heat when the solar panels rotate towards you, mist coming out of the coal fired power plant stack, wind as the windmills rotate, splash of water when the dam is opened, you fly into a nuclear power plant and your perspective keeps getting smaller until the activity of the nuclei is all around you....), and an interactive area where you do different chores with and without the aid of various things that require power to make us more efficient. Pretty hard to think of I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom