News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Missing20K

Splash took 22 months. It involved realigning rivers of America for a wet comparison.

To look at something with more waterway movement (!) look at Space Mountain. Admitedly that was later than planned.

As always your powers of historical Disney knowledge are not to be trifled with! ;)

So 22 months is a fairly decent time frame. And with no renovations of existing structures. So we add 13-14 months for dealing with the demo of UoE. Not terribly unrealistic, though I can see how some might feel that way.

I knew there was a few other projects that did a bunch of waterway re-routing. I will try to take a closer look later.

Sped2424

That is what they think it means.

They are not right. That is not how construction works.

Certainly the project could be done faster. But the fact that an entire park was built in 3 years is irrelevant. If you applied the same requirements necessary to accomplish this project in less time you could have constructed Epcot in less time too.
I am well aware of how construction and time frames work. I am going to say this nicely but you have a habit of talking down to posters on here. I am well of aware of how spending works in regards to Disney and how they spread out construction costs over many fiscal quarters which means longer construction time but cheaper on paper spending. That still doesn't translate to "therefore all construction time for attractions and lands are justified". So yes it is interesting that in a park that took 3 years to build one e-ticket ride now takes the same amount of time. One with if rumors are to be believed already has a ridiculous price tag to it.

peter11435

I am well aware of how construction and time frames work. I am going to say this nicely but you have a habit of talking down to posters on here. I am well of aware of how spending works in regards to Disney and how they spread out construction costs over many fiscal quarters which means longer construction time but cheaper on paper spending. That still doesn't translate to "therefore all construction time for attractions and lands are justified". So yes it is interesting that in a park that took 3 years to build one e-ticket ride now takes the same amount of time. One with if rumors are to be believed already has a ridiculous price tag to it.
It’s not talking down to people it’s correcting them when they repeatedly post the same misused fact or misinformation.

It’s not an interesting fact because it’s irrelevant if you understand how construction works. A collection of many projects by numerous construction contractors doesn’t require more time than anyone of those projects in isolations.

When Epcot was built they didn’t build one building and attraction at a time before moving on to the next.

Last edited:

Sped2424

It’s not talking down to people it’s correcting them when they repeatedly post the same misused fact or misinformation.

It’s not an interesting fact because it’s irrelevant if you understand how construction works. A collection of many projects by numerous construction contractors doesn’t require more time than anyone of those projects in isolations.

When Epcot was built they didn’t build one building and attraction at a time before moving on to the next.
I find it interesting you respond to my post before you responded to marnis who asked you the same question that my answer laid out. I am fully aware of how Epcot was built the fact remains it was an impressive feat. If you tell anyone today a brand new theme park on the scale of opening day Epcot can be built in 3 years they would gawk at you.

Because that's just how things aren't done anymore especially from a cost perspective. But again you insert yourself more often than not to reiterate points that as I have told you I fully understand. Guardians shouldn't cost nearly this much nor should it take this long to build I stand by that statement. Using epcots construction frame is a means to show what can be done with multiple contractors in the same amount of time (and for a fraction of what wdi would charge today but that's a different argument).

Figments Friend

Passed through Epcot again today, and snapped a few pictures of the backside of the ex-Energy Pavilion.
And you thought the backside of water was exciting...

You can just barely make out the gaping hole in the lower center back of the building.
Hard to see , but it's there in the second picture.
At nighttime you can see some of the interior due to the bright lighting.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Jambo Joe

WDW has a responsibility to be profitable. Thus, rides have budgets and different rides have to be created. 7DMT is a decent small coaster but was stripped down for budgetary reasons. I completely agree that it is a great example but still lament that it could/should have been so much more. I like that it has both coaster sections and a dark ride section but the first layout was significantly longer.

With that said, I think that people forget that the theme parks need to appeal to all ages. So, roller coasters will be built to satiate the young and old, dark rides will be built to satisfy young and old, and sometimes small rides are built to satisfy young and old. Utilizing screens is a great way to show an environment that can't be replicated otherwise. Blending screens and physical sets provide the most satisfying experiences. However, Walt Disney wasn't afraid of building roller coasters. He worked with Arrow to develop the very first steel coaster after all.

I have long believed that people think that coasters can't be built at Disney parks because they cannot be enjoyed by all. If that is the case, then no ride could be built because nothing truly appeals to all.
I am still gob-smacked by how lame Na’Vi river journey is. The overuse of screens there that do not integrate well was humorous and would have benefited from some of the scenes being practical effects. And then at the end of the ride you have the most amazing animatronic ever created - which just reinforces how lame the stuff you just witnessed before that was.

Skibum1970

I am still gob-smacked by how lame Na’Vi river journey is. The overuse of screens there that do not integrate well was humorous and would have benefited from some of the scenes being practical effects. And then at the end of the ride you have the most amazing animatronic ever created - which just reinforces how lame the stuff you just witnessed before that was.

I haven't had the opportunity to ride it yet but, based on video and other feedback, it seems to suffer more from not doing anything. Sure, you're cruising through the forest but it isn't long enough and doesn't have enough storyline to support it. Again, I don't know enough as I haven't actually experienced it, although I hope to correct that this year. I think that my primary puzzlement comes from the amount of money spent versus how much was actually built.

With that being said, my main point was that some people rail against screens and coasters. Each has a very practical use/impact in theme parks and no rule exists that Disney cannot build a coaster for those who want a little more thrill. Screens also provide a way to establish a setting, especially for fantasy rides or action rides. Spiderman is an awesome and thrilling ride based on screens, physical sets, and ride vehicles that convey the appropriate movement.

The Guardians coaster is going to be a welcome addition and should be highly popular. Would it have fit better in DHS? Absolutely but that is a moot point.

rle4lunch

I haven't had the opportunity to ride it yet but, based on video and other feedback, it seems to suffer more from not doing anything. Sure, you're cruising through the forest but it isn't long enough and doesn't have enough storyline to support it. Again, I don't know enough as I haven't actually experienced it, although I hope to correct that this year. I think that my primary puzzlement comes from the amount of money spent versus how much was actually built.

With that being said, my main point was that some people rail against screens and coasters. Each has a very practical use/impact in theme parks and no rule exists that Disney cannot build a coaster for those who want a little more thrill. Screens also provide a way to establish a setting, especially for fantasy rides or action rides. Spiderman is an awesome and thrilling ride based on screens, physical sets, and ride vehicles that convey the appropriate movement.

The Guardians coaster is going to be a welcome addition and should be highly popular. Would it have fit better in DHS? Absolutely but that is a moot point.

The ride is beautifully boring. Definite missed opportunity. My biggest beef is the shaman who is speaking in Navi'ese. If the creators of the ride are trying to convey an Earth Day message (or in this case Pandora Day message) about conservation, at least have the damn AA impart some sort of poignant message that people can take with them, instead of spouting some gibberish in a make believe language! Oy!

geekza

Any word on what the theming of what the gravity building will be? Something themed to the collector/xandar/etc???
No solid word quite yet. Martin knows the proposed ideas, but he can't really go into detail, which is understandable. We may know more next year from the D23 Expo, but the outside theming will likely be one of the last steps in the building construction. They already have the substructure in place around parts of the building that will support the outer theming, so we know that it will have some theming. We just don't know exactly what form that theming will take.

geekza

Let's hope they don't go with the eyesore motif, something that doesn't stick out would be nice. But given the size of the building, I think that hope has already been thrown out the window.
I don't know. There are lots of ways to make the look of it fit with the overall design of the other Future World buildings. I suspect, since they're keeping the outer structure of UoE (RIP) that they'll have it compliment the existing building. Who knows? I hate the quick-and-dirty retheme they did on the ToT in DCA and still think it looks like an old hotel building where a giant robot barfed wiring over it. Since this is a new building, hopefully they'll do better than that, at least. Nothing they can really do to hide the size of it, though. It is what it is.

Figments Friend

A couple more shots i thought might be of interest ....althought this may well be old news by now.
I was saddened to see this close up and in person a few days ago -

All the original mirrored tile work stripped clean, with nothing but black base paneling and chipped away paint.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

It had me feeling a bit melancholy knowing I wouldn't be able to experience UoE again this visit.... It was a must do every visit.
But seeing the place stripped like this really hit me a little harder then I expected.

RIP, ya ol' Universe.
You made the world go round.

-

aladdin2007

in response to bioconstructs comment I got to thinking, if they were to theme the building to match the original energy building, (or how it looks in the one outside concept art for guardians) it maybe wouldn't be half bad? In terms of the silver coloring and panels and triangular shapes. Since its so ridiculous in size, Id rather them do something that is not loud and tacky and bright (dca). Keep it in silver and gray tones etc and maybe it will at least blend more quietly?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom