Great Table Serivce - Picky Eater

plaz10

Original Poster
Hey! I just got a pin for free QS dining for a trip in June that my boyfriend and I are taking. We are going to upgrade to include the table service. Last time we were there we ate mostly quick service and my boyfriend complained that he didnt have any "great" meals in WDW.

So I really want to "wow" him this time by making ADRs at some great places. Here are a few thoughts...tell me what you think.
(KEEP IN MIND - im a very picky eater! I like a lot of my food plain/simple.)
(also keep in mind, i've never been to any of these places)

Le Cellier
Les Chefs De France
Coral Reef (my boyfriend LOVES seafood)
50's Prime Time Cafe (been here once before...loved the atmosphere)
Kona Cafe (for dinner)
Tutto de Italia
Crystal Palace (for breakfast)

We only have 6 possibly 7 nights stay so we are choosing wisely. We will be spending most of our time in the parks so thats why the Epcot heavy choices. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

LisaG23

Personally......i would add Boma to the mix if you can...it is delish! I was not a big fan of the Coral Reef, the food was mediocre at best and the service was even worse. It was a waste of 3 1/2 hours. But other people love it...i guess it depends on the day and the server. Boma however, has wonderful service and the food is AMAZING!!!!! There is an evening "Clambake" at one of the hotels, i cant remember which one, if your man loves seafood that i have heard is VERY GOOD. I havent tried it myself, but it has gotten good reviews. hope this helps!

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
I've never eaten at Kona Cafe, but based on my experience as a seafood-loving adventurous eater married to a picky, plain-food eater, you've made some good choices. ;) :wave:

Have a great trip!

Pioneer Hall

Good choices, and smart to stick with mainly table service meals as opposed to Buffets. I would check out the menus before you go just to be safe as well. Disney is very accomodating, so if you need to make a modification to nearly any dish it isn't usually a problem.

slappy magoo

Good choices, and smart to stick with mainly table service meals as opposed to Buffets.

Heh, I was thinking the opposite, that if you have a picky eater, it's always better to go to buffets, where odds are better you'll find SOMETHING for them to eat.

Bear in mind, Coral Reef is considered a Signature Dining Location, and you'll be using 2 table credits there. And the way meals are priced, you'll always be getting more bang for your buck if you use your table credits for dinner as opposed to breakfast or lunch.

I'd also second Boma, or at least Tusker House in the Animal Kingdom if transportation is an issue. Both have similar fare, prepared in similar ways.

If you do wind up using 2 credits at Coral Reef and then need a more inexpensive place to dine, Fort Wilderness has a simple buffet, but with many choices, called Trails' End. Pretty much the most affordable non-counter-service meal on property, and you can always make a night of hanging out there, watching movies and doing the campfire singalong. OR take the ferry back to the MK after dinner. It's also (usually) not too busy, especially since everyone's now on the dining plan and they'd consider using at Trails' End a waste. :D

If your BF likes seafood, AND you want to go to a Signature Dining location, my wife enjoyed the salmon at Artist Point in the Wilderness Lodge (and I devoured the buffalo sirloin). There's also a great spiced Tuna at the California Grill in the Contemporary and various nice seafood options at Narcoossee's in the Grand Floridian. All of them are a boat or monorail ride away if you're in the MK, so it's possible to hop back there after dinner one night and enjoy one more ride or the fireworks. And of course, some of them will have places where you can potentially enjoy the fireworks WHILE you dine.

plaz10

Original Poster
Bear in mind, Coral Reef is considered a Signature Dining Location, and you'll be using 2 table credits there.

I did not know Coral Reef was signature. Thanks for the tip.
Any other really good seafood places that are only 1 table credit? My cousin said that she loved Fultons Crab House but I know that is not included in the DDP. Any other suggestions for good seafood?

blackthidot

In the Parks
Yes
Personally......i would add Boma to the mix if you can...it is delish! I was not a big fan of the Coral Reef, the food was mediocre at best and the service was even worse. It was a waste of 3 1/2 hours. But other people love it...i guess it depends on the day and the server. Boma however, has wonderful service and the food is AMAZING!!!!! There is an evening "Clambake" at one of the hotels, i cant remember which one, if your man loves seafood that i have heard is VERY GOOD. I havent tried it myself, but it has gotten good reviews. hope this helps!

If someone is picky they are probably not going to enjoy Boma at all...

I am picky and ate there...Lets just say I ate cornbread and strawberries all night...

Bear in mind, Coral Reef is considered a Signature Dining Location, and you'll be using 2 table credits there.

Is Coral Reef really a signature Dining Location? I have 2010 Dining PDF downloaded from Disney.com and it's not listed a Signature Dining Location/Worth 2 Points? Are you sure...this would mess up my reservations! haha

blackthidot

In the Parks
Yes
Bear in mind, Coral Reef is considered a Signature Dining Location, and you'll be using 2 table credits there. And the way meals are priced, you'll always be getting more bang for your buck if you use your table credits for dinner as opposed to breakfast or lunch.

Coral Reef is only 1 service credit unless it changed since September wich I doubt because its not expensive enough.

plaz10

Original Poster
I didn't think it was Signature, I'm just trusting Slappy at this point.

I really hope it's not, I kind of had my heart set on it.

As far as BOMA goes, I will be skipping it. I read really great reviews but it's not my kind of place. I'm a very simple...plain steak, plain cheese pizza, plain spaghetti, plain chicken kind of girl. Nothing about 'African cuisine' really makes my tummy growl. But thanks for the suggestion.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
While I absolutely trust slappymagoo, I would be shocked to find that Coral Reef is two dining credits, it just doesn't seem worth it!

I enjoy eating there, and I've never bought the dining plan, so I don't really have much of a concept of its value, but for all that the Reef provides nice food in a unique atmosphere, I can't see it "costing" double most other Epcot restaurants.

I can second slappy's suggestion of Artist Point. We ate there last year, and we both enjoyed our dinners tremendously. They have a nice plain steak for you, and cedar plank salmon for your BF.

Check out the menus online--most of the restaurants have a choice of seafood dishes--I think that might be the best way to reassure yourself that you will both find something that you will enjoy. I can tell you that when I am planning our dining reservations, I always look over the most recent menus to make sure there's something for both of us, and that way there are no surprises once you are seated and handed a menu! And remember, the WDW kitchens are very understanding and great about making substitutions if there is, say, a side dish that might turn you off of an entree that you would otherwise order.

LiveyMouse22

Le Cellier - FANTASTIC! We tried it last year and it will be a definite repeat for us. The food is delicious and the service and atmosphere are great!
Coral Reef - If you like seafood this is the place to go, it's very nice.
50's Prime Time Cafe - I love the atmosphere here too! Very cute!
Tutto de Italia - Trying it this year because of the great reviews we've heard.
Crystal Palace - I LOVE Crystal Palace for breakfast. The character dining is so cute and the food is actually really great for a buffet!

Great choices! Hope this helps and have fun!:wave:

durangojim

If you want to eat at the second best restaurant (first being Victoria and Albert's) on property with excellent service I'd change one of the reservations to California Grill.

stlbobby

You've made some great choices, and according to the current Dining Plan Brochure, which is valid through December 2010, Coral Reef is a single point meal.

The only one you might have an issue with is Les Chefs, this may not suit a picky eater. The food, as with most French cuisine, is far from plain and the menu is more limited than most venues.

I would agree with some of the other posters that buffets might be your best bet, with the exception of Boma, it is a great place, but definitely not for picky eaters.

If you decide to change things, two places I'd recommend are Liberty Tree Tavern in the MK, and 'Ohanas at the Polynesian. Both are all you can eat, but served family style. LTT is a huge Thanksgiving feast turkey, ham, and all the trimmings. I believe they even have a beef choice most of the time. 'Ohanas is a bit more exotic, but the main dish is several types of meat grilled on an open flame. Both will satisfy a picky eater.

If you do decide to try a signature venue. I'd suggest either California Grill or Narcoossee's. CG because it is a unique WDW experience--great food and spectacular location. Narcoossee's has tremendous seafood choices, and awesome steaks. It is quieter and tucked away, but still right on the lake for prime fireworks viewing.

And finally, kudos to you for a CP breakfast. I'd get a pre-opening seating on your first day. I don't think there's a better way to start a trip.

PS make sure you try the puffed French toast on the kids buffet--yum.

Purple413

For breakfast, we love Kona Cafe. Boma and the Biergarten are the best as far as buffets go. For sit down dinners, we love Coral Reef and the Sci-Fi. This year, we'll be eating at the Rose and Crown for the first time (believe it or not considering it will be my 11th trip!) because we heard great things about it, and the menu looks tasty.

I think your best bet is to explore the menus online before booking reservations... look for what sounds good to you!

slappy magoo

You've made some great choices, and according to the current Dining Plan Brochure, which is valid through December 2010, Coral Reef is a single point meal.

Either I've been wrong all along, or at some point Coral Reef WAS a 1-credit restaurant and has since been downgraded. Either way, my apologies for any confusion.

Purple413

There was a time when Coral Reef was Signature dining and counted as 2 credits - it has to be more than 5 years ago... We always got the dining plan, and wanted to try Coral Reef, but didn't want to use the 2 credits. When I took my husband there for the first time 5 years ago, I took him there because it was only 1 table service credit. It was my first time there and we've gone there every year since.

princesscarly

Sounds like a good plan! The last time I was in WDW in August we had the same plan and I loved eating the table services because we never really got a chance to eat at many different ones before. I think Crystal Palace and the 50s Prime Time Cafe are definitely good choices! :) The only other place that I've eaten on your list was the Coral Reef and it was amazing! I'm like you though, very picky and like my food plain. The only really plain thing that they had at the coral reef that wasn't seafood (which I don't like) was steak and potatoes but it was delicious! :) Another good one is Chef Mickey's! Hope you have a good trip! :)

blackthidot

In the Parks
Yes
Steak from Coral Reef!

DSC06115.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom