Great Movie Ride - Pick 2 scenes

Slipknot

I agree, I don't get the hate for the alien scene. :shrug:

Guests got scared when they were younger, maybe? Me personally I wanted to see the movie when I got home (wasn't this the purpose of the attraction? I've seen everything in GMR except Tarzan and Footlight Parade.) and ironically Aliens was on TV.

DisneyPrincess5

No hate here, I just don't consider it a great movie. :shrug:

I should add that if a movie is going to represent the sci fi genre it should be either Star Wars or Star Trek, IMO.

Agreed.
The issue isn't hate for the scene, IMO Star Wars would be awesome to see as the rep for a "sci-fi" movie.

Upgrade117

I'm also thinking as far as an addition/update on the sci-fi or even horror genre in the ride, perhaps Godzilla or King Kong? I'm leaning more towards Kong being its an American movie, but Godzilla is just as much of an icon as Kong is in America.. :shrug:

Slipknot

Agreed.
The issue isn't hate for the scene, IMO Star Wars would be awesome to see as the rep for a "sci-fi" movie.

But Star Wars is already in the park... a lot!!! You've got Star Tours, Star Wars Weekends, Jedi Training Academy and when it was still at MGM (I will always call the park that) the Stars and Motorcars Parade had a Star Wars segment. Adding a Star Wars scene would over do it, IMHO. Star Trek I could see though. But, if you think about it, Sci-Fi is a lot more than just "space" movies...

Slipknot

I'm also thinking as far as an addition/update on the sci-fi or even horror genre in the ride, perhaps Godzilla or King Kong? I'm leaning more towards Kong being its an American movie, but Godzilla is just as much of an icon as Kong is in America.. :shrug:

King Kong is Universal... He is in the finale film too, though.

DisneyPrincess5

But Star Wars is already in the park... a lot!!! You've got Star Tours, Star Wars Weekends, Jedi Training Academy and when it was still at MGM (I will always call the park that) the Stars and Motorcars Parade had a Star Wars segment. Adding a Star Wars scene would over do it, IMHO. Star Trek I could see though. But, if you think about it, Sci-Fi is a lot more than just "space" movies...

That is true, and a good point.

I just think it would make sense, seeing that many consider it one of the greatest movie franchises and IMO would belong in the Great Movie Ride (although there are some not so great movies in there...whole other topic).

Isn't GMR scheduled to be refurbed in 2011 anyway??
We'll see what they come up with for that.

marsrunner

I like the Alien scene and I think it should stay, but that figure of Ripley is one of the worst AAs I've ever seen as far as how much it looks like the person it represents. doesn't look anything like her.
I'd get rid of Footlight Parade, Fantasia and Tarzan. Redress the gangster scene to be the tollbooth shootout from Godfather (if it could be done and keep the storyline aspect that is). I'd also like to see Unforgiven in the Western section instead of the Man With No Name. Unforgiven is the best Eastwood western and one of the top two...I have a hard time picking that or The Searchers.
Keep Wizard of Oz if at all possible. I still think that after all these years that the Wicked Witch is one of the most impressive AAs in all of WDW. It feels like she's really looking at you when she looks around.

krankenstein

Same could be argued for Sorcerer Mickey and Indiana Jones. :shrug:

I truly wish they would overhaul this ride. I like most of the scenes and the idea of it is neat.

However, I think some of the AAs are pretty outdated looking and some of the overall sounds/effects show their 1989 age. I love the Alien scene, but I wish they would upgrade the Ripley AA to make it slightly more realistic looking. The Alien could be a bit more animated too, but overall, I love the feel of the Alien set, I think it's really unique.

I think the "horror" set (after Indiana Jones) and Tarzan could go easilly. They really could've chosen a more action packed scene for Indiana Jones.. out of all 3 movies there was alot they could pick from. I would get rid of the whole "crystal" room and drop that act all together. It was interesting the first few times, but I'd rather see that space go to another movie set. I also would love to see it either upgraded or removed.. the first set with the "dancers." I love the Western/City scenes, but the shoot outs leave a lot to be desired. The sound effects are pathetic - some new audio could actually make it sound realistic and awesome. It's just dated and worn looking/sounding.

I would remove the final movie and put in a set or something a bit more interesting - I like the ride until that point. I remember hearing a rumor that the Great Movie Ride was once envisioned to be a fast moving ride. How awesome would that have been! Imagine a Dinosaur type ride except you're crusing through movie sets that come to life. That would be an amazing concept and could still have been a family ride. Ohhh well. :cry:

Slipknot

Same could be argued for Sorcerer Mickey and Indiana Jones. :shrug:

Fantasia was a last minute fix. It was originally supposed to be the twister bringing you to Oz but MGM (the studio, not the park) cut back the amount of time Disney could use for the scene. Indiana Jones... cheap price because of Lucas maybe?

Slipknot

I love the Western/City scenes, but the shoot outs leave a lot to be desired. The sound effects are pathetic - some new audio could actually make it sound realistic and awesome. It's just dated and worn looking/sounding.

What sound effects are you referring to?

krankenstein

Fantasia was a last minute fix. It was originally supposed to be the twister bringing you to Oz but MGM (the studio, not the park) cut back the amount of time Disney could use for the scene. Indiana Jones... cheap price because of Lucas maybe?

I know it was a cheap fix, but you still have a lot of Fantasia mentions throughout the park. You could also argue that Star Wars would be a cheap replacement for Alien b/c of Lucas.

SeaBreeze

Guests got scared when they were younger, maybe?

Yep, that's me! I accidentally (yay for babysitters!) saw Alien and Aliens literally a month before we went to Studios... I was already having nightmares from the movies (hey,I was five or six) and the CM told me the overhead alien was timed to jump down and I was the lucky seat. I was already visibly upset and after that...ugh. Even the other guests on the ride were mad at the guy. Haven't seen the first two movies since although I can somehow tell the hissing from them vs the newer movies and scream...:lol:

Let's just say I had to get over that real fast as a CM :lookaroun

And I agree, the Ripley AA is atrocious.

The sound effects used for the gun shots. The Gangster scene I think is the worst. Supposedly a drum fed tommy gun is being fired but has the sound of a cheap tinny speaker. (Just needs more base and oomph) Really just updating some small things to give it a loud fresh sound would help these scenes out a bit. The ricochet, etc sounds could also use some improving.

And yes, I forgot about the Fantasia area.. I know it's Disney, but really, I didn't think it was that much of a legendary movie as they try to make it seem. That's a small space.. not really sure what could fit in there.

krankenstein

True, but GMR came before the ugly hat and Fantasmic.

GMR came before Jedi Weekends and SWW. Following that logic, they are irrelevant to whether or not Star Wars would be a good replacement for Alien.

(I'm not trying to make you mad, I'm genuinely enjoying this discussion. :wave:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom