Great Movie Ride. Change it or Leave it?

Do you think GMR should be updated with different films or left the way it is?

• Total voters

Goofyernmost

God, you could replace this with anything and I'd be happy even if it was just another cart to get a frozen banana at...this ride is sooo out-dated (as is much of DHS) and the wait is never worth it...
That last sentence is a clue. There is usually a wait on busy days. It still has some relevance to people that have never seen it before. As is the common mistake of those of us that go often and for a number of years. We somehow think that just because we have gotten to a point where we think an attraction is dated and not worthwhile anymore, we forget that to many it is a brand new experience. It gives them the same feeling that we had the first time we rode it and put it on our must do next time list. That goes for any number of attractions in any Disney Park.

It is also one of the bad points of boards like this. Although not intentional, we tend to display our personal "current" preferences and these are received by people new to the experience doing what we all say they should do by researching their trip. How many times have you seen the question..."Is (attraction) worth the effort". Many will say...no it's dated and boring, don't bother. I say, I don't know you well enough to know what you might like. Don't count anything out until you have experienced it and decide if you like it or not. I might be a little jaded and I don't want to misguide you.

bubbles1812

I actually think the ride would be better if as everyone has suggested, they just updated the AAs. Ok one of those people who enjoys the ride now but I wouldn't be opposed to some technological updates. I think most of the movies they chose stand up fairly well. Maybe just add one show scene or two from newer movies though I don't think it's an absolute must.

Plowboy

Voted change. Update the wait que movie, change a couple of scenes (Alien, Tarzan?) and fix the AA's. It'd be good for another 15 years.

PolynesianPrincess

I feel like so many people want change with updated movies.... But some of the movies in the attraction are CLASSIC movies. Casblanca, Wizard of Oz, Singin In The Rain... I want them to update it with some other (not necessarily NEWER) films. I heard one person say when we were in line "They should add POTC to the ride" ... as much as I love POTC, its not a classic film. It's popular, for now, but will it be a classic in the future 100 years from now? Probably not. Not the way Gone With The Wind or The Wizard of Oz is. Not everyone will recognize every film in the attraction. And that's ok. I just don't think they should update it with just modern day junk films just because people will recognize them.

DVC4bestvacations

What would you keep? Which parts would you replace and with what movies?

I would replace the Alien, Oz, Western, Tarzan, and Cassablanca

Do they still use the Western "ending"? During my last visits over the last 2 years I've alway had the Gangster Villian

Gonzo79

I think they should pretty much leave it alone except for maybe updating the AAs and expanding a few scenes. Like adding The Godfather and/or Goodfellas to the gangster area. Plus they really dont showcase any sports movies. I think Rocky and maybe Field Of Dreams would be a great addition.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I know it would be hard, take effort, and cost some money so it would be deemed impossible by current management, but the ride would be a lot better if the Footlight Parade sequence actually worked. It has been so long I think that only a few people even remember what it was like.

DVC4bestvacations

I know it would be hard, take effort, and cost some money so it would be deemed impossible by current management, but the ride would be a lot better if the Footlight Parade sequence actually worked. It has been so long I think that only a few people even remember what it was like.
Yea fix the bubble machine!!

afar28

Update the AA's (they used to be state of the art, now they aren't and need an updating back to that state), maybe add a scene or two, and just give it an overall repaint

imagineer boy

The ride definately needs a refurb. I'm thining Haunted Mansion 2007 style refurb. Update the current AAs and effects and maybe even the script for the live hosts. It definately needs a few new scenes as well potentially replacing Tarzan and maybe a couple of others.

Goofyernmost

What would you keep? Which parts would you replace and with what movies?

I would replace the Alien, Oz, Western, Tarzan, and Cassablanca.

Do they still use the Western "ending"? During my last visits over the last 2 years I've alway had the Gangster Villian
I cannot agree with eliminating Oz or Casablanca but the others mentioned would be acceptable. Oz is still a commonly aired movie on TV every year. Almost any age can relate to it and many of it's AA's are fairly current.

The Western ending is still used on busy days. When they have the full contingent of ride vehicles the front ones will be in the Western Show and the rear ones will be with the Gangster show. It's obvious that the Gangster show is cheaper to produce (no fire) but it is still used.

FettFan

Oh...and my other idea....

Take out the Tarzan jungle setpiece. Put in Who Framed Roger Rabbit's Acme Gag Factory.

They already have the Dipmobile and the Steamroller stowed away in the Boneyard....would just take a bit of refurbing to bring them back up to snuff.

The thing is I'm pretty sure they WOULD have put WFRR in there, except at the time they were planning their own Roger Rabbit-themed rides (Baby Herman's Runaway Baby Buggies, Toontown Trolly, and a Benny the Cab ride). But those got scrapped and the only WFRR presence in the park was the Acme Gag Factory warehouse gift shop that served as the halfway point of the backlot tour. Now it's all but gone....they mostly sell PotC and Star Wars stuff and have a handful of props from the glory days.

Benny the Cab eventually got built at Disneyland....after taking over an idea for Alice in Wonderland. RR's Car Toon Spin was originally supposed to be an Alice ride....initially dreamed up by Rolly Crump, it would have had passengers sitting in giant spinning teacups through Wonderland.

PUSH

I really like the ride, but the AAs all need updating. Maybe swap out a scene to Titanic or another recent movie. There aren't any movies in there that really represent this time period.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom