Great Movie Ride. Change it or Leave it?

Do you think GMR should be updated with different films or left the way it is?

• Total voters

bubbles1812

I cannot agree with eliminating Oz or Casablanca but the others mentioned would be acceptable. Oz is still a commonly aired movie on TV every year. Almost any age can relate to it and many of it's AA's are fairly current.

The Western ending is still used on busy days. When they have the full contingent of ride vehicles the front ones will be in the Western Show and the rear ones will be with the Gangster show. It's obvious that the Gangster show is cheaper to produce (no fire) but it is still used.
Haha. Too funny. When I was there last Thursday I was confused about the Western Show. I think I ha always gotten the Gangster show so I didnt remember the fire, which I liked very much

But anyways... I would be very sad if Casablanca or Wizard of Oz were removed. Both are classics, gave us some of the most memorable lines of all time, and both are great great movies. On a side note, I would NOT like to see the Alien scene removed. I loved that the including something scary in there. Not absolutely everything has to be for the kids. Still remember watching that with my dad when I was young. It is an iconic film.

07vanquish

Look at Spaceship Earth: I still enjoy the new one but it's not what it used to be. Disney has some historical rides (Pirates, HM) that maybe shouldn't be modified too much. The standard held by most historical societies is to keep an artifact 80% original; maybe certain rides should have the same standard.

Don't get me wrong, change can be good, but maybe not for the great movie ride.

aladdin2007

I wouldnt mind the Indiana Jones scene being updated with a shia labeouf animatronic, would just make it a little more fun and current is all. By the way in that scene on the left side where the long rope is coming down out of a big hole in the ceiling, was that originally suppose to do something???

Goofyernmost

I wouldnt mind the Indiana Jones scene being updated with a shia labeouf animatronic, would just make it a little more fun and current is all. By the way in that scene on the left side where the long rope is coming down out of a big hole in the ceiling, was that originally suppose to do something???
I could be wrong here, but I think that is how Jones supposedly got into the cave. It's part of the scene. I think it's in the movie that way, but I honestly don't remember for sure. I think that's it though.

MarkTwain

A SSE or HM-style refurb would do the trick. Update all the AAs, and maybe change a scene or two. I think Footlight Parade, Alien, and Tarzan could stand to go. Maybe replace them with Charlie Chaplin's Modern Times, Star Wars, and Gone with the Wind respectively. Citizen Kane, West Side Story, or Lawrence of Arabia might also be good considerations. I think the Western needs to stay because it showcases Clint Eastwood and John Wayne, two giants of the motion picture industry. They also seem to be referring to the Searchers and the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, widely considered some of the best films of all time (in ANY genre).

MarkTwain

That's how Indy entered the cave in the movie.

Tom Morrow

Question - would it be possible for the ride to work without the gangster/cowboy/cursed jewel scenes? Or are those pauses required for the ride to flow? Because otherwise, those could be converted into newer movies. The only thing worse than an unenthusiastic tour guide is an unenthusiastic or bad acting mobster/cowboy.

ctxak98

I honestly feel It should just be upgraded! The WHOLE theme of this ride is the journey through the classics that really impacted the Film industry in one way or another or film genres that are timeless and sometimes forgotten! The movie previews in the beggining are awesome! If they change you would have to replace the scenes in the ride! the previews act as a preview for what you are going to see on your journey! It also fits the Classic Hollywood theme! The new movies that come out today are put into the final movie montage at the end! They update it every once in a while. I know they did around the time of Finding Nemo or something, which yes Is a while ago now but hey, Nothing too major has come out since then.

YES I am nostalgic and the GMR brings memories back personally for me. My grandpa was a huge fan of classic iflms and I got into them because of him! It wqas his favorite ride. I am all for change but Not on this attraction! As a whole its brilliant, Just needs some sprucing. Just because a ride pays tribute to the classics doesnt mean its falling in the past! and we need to look forward. There is new rides and technology in everything else, Im sure it wont kill anyone to have one good classic AA figured, dark ride at the studios!

ctxak98

I feel like so many people want change with updated movies.... But some of the movies in the attraction are CLASSIC movies. Casblanca, Wizard of Oz, Singin In The Rain... I want them to update it with some other (not necessarily NEWER) films. I heard one person say when we were in line "They should add POTC to the ride" ... as much as I love POTC, its not a classic film. It's popular, for now, but will it be a classic in the future 100 years from now? Probably not. Not the way Gone With The Wind or The Wizard of Oz is. Not everyone will recognize every film in the attraction. And that's ok. I just don't think they should update it with just modern day junk films just because people will recognize them.
YES YES YES...OH YES! this is what I am trying to say but couldnt say it! Classics are hard to define but POTC or TRON are NOT classics yet! There are so many movies that its hard for everyone to recognize every last one. Its a good chance for people to learn what the classics are and maybe go home and give them a watch!

Mrs.Toad

I had even thought of taking out Indy and Alien and going with just a ride devoted to the Golden Age. Adding more older movies. It would be nostalgic, have a cohesive theme, and since they are not going to update it technology wise, the old charming AA would fit with the theme too.

What I would do if I was charge. Though I would be sad to see Indy and Alien leave the roster. Indy not so much though. He has the show and they could bring the Indy attraction to DHS too if they wanted to.

I would love, for example, an AA and a scene devoted to Fred Astaire. The ceiling scene in Royal Wedding would be awesome.

Goofyernmost

Question - would it be possible for the ride to work without the gangster/cowboy/cursed jewel scenes? Or are those pauses required for the ride to flow? Because otherwise, those could be converted into newer movies. The only thing worse than an unenthusiastic tour guide is an unenthusiastic or bad acting mobster/cowboy.
Please don't say that to loud. It doesn't take much for Disney to do away with expensive live actors in their attractions. Lame or not, those encounters are getting fewer and fewer. They aren't all bad, but just like anything else there is a dud in there somewhere. That's one of the positive situations that you find in Universal. More live involvement in the attractions. Gives it more of a real, personal feel.

luv

I could live without the Alien scene, especially since it never works. They should put something else in there. Do they own The Fugitive? Love to see Tommy Lee Jones doing the "every dog house, out house..." speech. :)

I much prefer cowboys to Cagney. Otherwise, I really like this ride and think it just needs some sprucing up.

Tom Morrow

Please don't say that to loud. It doesn't take much for Disney to do away with expensive live actors in their attractions. Lame or not, those encounters are getting fewer and fewer. They aren't all bad, but just like anything else there is a dud in there somewhere. That's one of the positive situations that you find in Universal. More live involvement in the attractions. Gives it more of a real, personal feel.
Yep, plus with Jaws, for example, it required an audition to work there. GMR, Jungle Cruise and the don't require an audition and people get placed there at random.

Walt 1901

I believe the ride like the park should be re-imagined. I think the ride needs to be updated and the park should be called Walt Disney Studios and celebrated the company itself. You could have classic Hollywood itself and then have different lands for all there property. Pixar place expanded, a whole landed devoted to Marvel and a whole land devoted to Lucasfilms. They should also start recording some of the Disney channel shows there. It would be more fun to watch a taping of a real show then American Ideal.

Tom Morrow

I honestly feel It should just be upgraded! The WHOLE theme of this ride is the journey through the classics that really impacted the Film industry in one way or another or film genres that are timeless and sometimes forgotten! The movie previews in the beggining are awesome! If they change you would have to replace the scenes in the ride! the previews act as a preview for what you are going to see on your journey! It also fits the Classic Hollywood theme! The new movies that come out today are put into the final movie montage at the end! They update it every once in a while. I know they did around the time of Finding Nemo or something, which yes Is a while ago now but hey, Nothing too major has come out since then.

YES I am nostalgic and the GMR brings memories back personally for me. My grandpa was a huge fan of classic iflms and I got into them because of him! It wqas his favorite ride. I am all for change but Not on this attraction! As a whole its brilliant, Just needs some sprucing. Just because a ride pays tribute to the classics doesnt mean its falling in the past! and we need to look forward. There is new rides and technology in everything else, Im sure it wont kill anyone to have one good classic AA figured, dark ride at the studios!
They might be "classics", but there are many, many movies more deserving of scenes than stuff like Footlight Parade, Tarzan, heck, even Marry Poppins.

Goofyernmost

Yep, plus with Jaws, for example, it required an audition to work there. GMR, Jungle Cruise and the don't require an audition and people get placed there at random.
I'm really sorry to say this but Disney is getting less and less interested in maintaining what made them number one, every single day. The sparkle will eventually fall off if they don't wise up.:(

Haha. Too funny. When I was there last Thursday I was confused about the Western Show. I think I ha always gotten the Gangster show so I didnt remember the fire, which I liked very much

But anyways... I would be very sad if Casablanca or Wizard of Oz were removed. Both are classics, gave us some of the most memorable lines of all time, and both are great great movies. On a side note, I would NOT like to see the Alien scene removed. I loved that the including something scary in there. Not absolutely everything has to be for the kids. Still remember watching that with my dad when I was young. It is an iconic film.
See, this past Wednesday was actually the first time I had ever gotten the gangster scene! Guess I'm in the minority there...I agree with the Alien thing, even though I do watch a lot of older classics, I've never seen Alien, but I enjoy having a scary scene in there. Especially the way you move through it, I like having that scary element thrown in there, but wouldn't be opposed to having a different scary scene replace it from a more relatable movie.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Just curious on where everyone stands on this topic. Would love to hear some reasons :)

30718551.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom