Great Movie Ride. Change it or Leave it?

Do you think GMR should be updated with different films or left the way it is?

• Total voters

bubbles1812

See, this past Wednesday was actually the first time I had ever gotten the gangster scene! Guess I'm in the minority there...I agree with the Alien thing, even though I do watch a lot of older classics, I've never seen Alien, but I enjoy having a scary scene in there. Especially the way you move through it, I like having that scary element thrown in there, but wouldn't be opposed to having a different scary scene replace it from a more relatable movie.
Aww. You've got to give Alien a whirl. It's a great fun scary movie and this is from someone who isn't a huge fan of scary movies. Alien and Aliens are really good. The other two aren't so great. Just mediocre

taz0162

Change the movie trailers, take out Alien, update all areas (the look is a little off and could be better I'd say it is 80 percent of what they can actually do) Change the aliens area to a yearly rotating best of the previous year movie. Not academy award movie necessarily but highest grossing movie. The movie sequience at the end needs an hd upgrade because its fuzzy in some parts.

erasure fan1

While I voted for changing, I don't think they should run wild with popcorn flix. I get the whole "but it should be classic" mentality, but I look at it more as a history of movies. I would love for them to add star wars, lord of the rings, the avengers and 20K leagues under the sea. I would eliminate the Sorcerers apprentice and condense Alien and Tarzan to make room. Everything else just needs a good update to the AAs and effects and its awesome again. Wait, scratch that, remove the dang hat and then, BAM! Awesome again.

FettFan

Why does everyone seem to have it out for the Xenomorph?

Alien and ALIENS revolutionized the genres of SciFi Horror and SciFi Action, so much so that they set the stage and tone for hundreds of other movies, from John Carpenter's The Thing to Starship Troopers.

I mean, come on....there are even trope characters known as "The Ripley" and "The Vasquez" because of these movies. :p

The Alien sequence needs to stay. If it is taken out, it should only be for ALIENS.
Aliens-screenshot-544x309px.jpg

Get away from her you *****!

FettFan

OOOH you know what would also be awesome?

GREMLINS.

Though I'm pretty sure Disney would have to pay out the wahoo to persuade WB to let them be used.

AndyS2992

Yes it definitely needs an update with some new movies, updated animatronics and special effects etc would hate for it to be removed or left rotting as it is.

pumpkin7

It totally depends on what you want to change. If it's just the animatronics then yes I totally agree, the ride needs an update. They need to fix the ancient animatronics (I'm looking at you, Ellen Ripley!) and the ones that don't really work properly or look nothing like who they are supposed to (again, Ripley, sort it out!).
I love the ride how it is, as in what movies are in there. It just needs some love.

joanna71985

The Western ending is still used on busy days. When they have the full contingent of ride vehicles the front ones will be in the Western Show and the rear ones will be with the Gangster show. It's obvious that the Gangster show is cheaper to produce (no fire) but it is still used.

Actually, they don't have to be running all the vehicles to have the Western show. I've seen only one vehicle for Western (as compared to having 5 for Gangster).

Yert3

Would anyone mind explaining what is malfunctioning with TGMR? I'm familiar with the ride and know the whole thing well, but haven't been to DHS in 3 maybe 4 years, so I don't really know from personal experience what is currently wrong with it.

Stellajack

I say leave it alone. Just give it a good refurb. There are few if any movies over the last 10 years that could be considered "GREAT". This ride is a look into the past of great movies.

As soon as they change this attraction out, I give it 1 year before everyone is crying for the return of the old attraction. It happens every time.

When you consider that this attraction is about "the Golden Age of Hollywood", I would never vote to update to current movies (especially since most of them are not so great). I actually am perplexed as to why Alien is in this attraction at all.

MarkTwain

Would anyone mind explaining what is malfunctioning with TGMR? I'm familiar with the ride and know the whole thing well, but haven't been to DHS in 3 maybe 4 years, so I don't really know from personal experience what is currently wrong with it.

Ehh... not too much "wrong" with it in the Yeti or Splash Mountain sense. The Footlight Parade scene is completely motionless and kind of pathetic looking, many of the human AAs are probably some of the least convincing on property, and some of the movie choices haven't held up as well as Disney probably would have liked (Tarzan). But it's still a strong ride with a great concept, elaborate set design and pretty a unique narration style, so that is all still working for it. But it seems to have a hard time holding many guests' attention and in general kind of feels tired. Nothing a refresh couldn't fix.

tracyandalex

I voted change, but I meant update more than change. It would be nice to see some scenes from newer movies in there as well as some general TLC. I'm not calling for a complete overhaul.

GrimGrinningGhost15

Change the movie trailers in the line for the love of god please...

There have been some modern classics made since this ride too...or missed out.

The ride is missing some major trends and moments in movie history now.... Like the comedy and action films of the 80's and CGI in the 90's/2000's and then the rehashing of movies with crappy sequels in the 2010's lol

I Would love to see Godfather in there,
Pulp fiction, gladiator, pirates, die hard, titanic, ghostbusters, goonies... the list is endless...

In this world if you fail to embrace change you'll be left behind.

YES YES AND YES to all of those movie suggestions. I went on this ride last may, it is one of my favorites (mostly because it was his dads favorite and he passed away) It was neat, but it could be so much better. Keep the classics and add some "newer" classics. Pulp fiction would be so awesome to see but not sure if there are any scenes that are disney friendly (one of my favorite movies). Titanic would be a great one, as would goonie and ghostbusters and there is so much they could do with those movies. A few that children now may some what recognize.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom