Grand Floridian VS. Yacht Club

captainkidd

As we all know, the GF is the flagship resort. However, in the majority of guide books, YC gets named best Deluxe Resort. Which do you prefer and why?

I'm not voting as this summer will be our 1st stay at the Yacht Club, but I am curious to hear what other people say.

Chrononymous

Well, If I had to choose between those two...the Yacht club ...but honestly, the Beach Club is even better. Less stuffy.

Wilderness Lodge is actually a far nicer Deluxe IMO...though I haven't stayed there.

And I really really love the Boardwalk.

I guess it depends on what you expect, for all the money you pay.
The best treatment I ever got from a hotel...was at the POR.

Upvote 0

coltow

I would say that each other deluxe Resort are way better than those two. Overpriced and extremely overrated.
When I read this I thought the same thing. Unless it was pretty much free I wouldn't stay at either. I was sooooo disappointed at YC when we stayed there. And no one in my family has any interest in staying at GF, my son called it a "girl hotel" I think he meant because it was fancy. If I had to pick ANY deluxe I would pick WL with Poly a close 2nd.

Upvote 0

DisneyJoe

I've stayed at the YC twice now on business trips and both were wonderful stays; I can't wait to go back with my family. I love the location and the entire Epcot resort area with the restaurants and closeness to 2 theme parks.

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Original Poster
My personal favorite is the Wilderness Lodge too. I just wanted to hear opinions between these particular two. I know a lot of people like the Beach Club as well, but I'm just curious to hear between the GF and YC.

Upvote 0

durangojim

Beach Club way less stuffy?

I don't think there's any stuffiness at the BC, it and the WL are our favorite resorts. Five years ago I would have said the GF was our favorite and best Disney resort, but unfortunately as the price has increased the service and quality have declined. We decided to stop staying there after 2008 and haven't been back since. The BC & WL are much better experiences for the price.

Upvote 0

wdwfan22

In my opinion the Floridian is the resort to choose. The Grand Floridian has better kept rooms than the Yacht or the Beach Club. The rooms at the Floridian are also larger than those at Yacht & Beach Club. On all of our visits the rooms have always been spotless. We have had a few minor issues with some of the other Disney deluxe resorts, but so far (knock on wood) everything has been perfect there.
The Yacht & Beach Club Resorts do have a better pool area if that is important to you. The Floridian's pools are kinda on the blaw side. Dinning goes to the Floridian though. Which ever you choose i'm sure you'll have a wonderful time. Have fun :wave:

Upvote 0

durangojim

In my opinion the Floridian is the resort to choose. The Grand Floridian has better kept rooms than the Yacht or the Beach Club. The rooms at the Floridian are also larger than those at Yacht & Beach Club. On all of our visits the rooms have always been spotless. We have had a few minor issues with some of the other Disney deluxe resorts, but so far (knock on wood) everything has been perfect there.
The Yacht & Beach Club Resorts do have a better pool area if that is important to you. The Floridian's pools are kinda on the blaw side. Dinning goes to the Floridian though. Which ever you choose i'm sure you'll have a wonderful time. Have fun :wave:

I agree about the dining, but since the refurb, the YC & BC rooms are pretty much pristine. Last time we stayed at GF there was a water puddle from what we think was the AC on the carpet and when we switched the room, the one of the bed posts was broken and so was the table lamp. Of course that was in 08 so things may have changed for the better, but if I'm paying over $400 per night for a MK view room (which is what we have always stayed in) I expect perfection. Hopefully 4 seasons will give them a run for their money and make them step up their game at GF.

Upvote 0

RetiredFRN

YC or GF??

I have stayed at both and it really depends on what you want in a hotel. The yacht club was great because of the pool and pirate slide. The GF was great because of its proximity to MK. Nothing beat being able to hop on the monorail after dinner and go back to MK. The rooms are really the same in both places, but the view at the GF you couldn't beat along with being able to lay on the hammock at night and enjoy the beach and llght parade. You can't go wrong with either one.

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

Were I to choose to go to one of the 2 this year, I'd probably choose Yacht Club. I have a wife and a 19 month old baby - were we to go to WDW now, we'd probably be spending more time poolside than as park commandos, so it'd be about the better pool (with better security restrictions). But in a couple of years, when my kid would be much more aware of what WDW is and what can be done there, being so close to MK would probably have far more allure to us. And then when she's a teen, it'll probably be all about the pool again, plus access to more restaurants for nicer dinners.

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Original Poster
We chose YC for a few reasons. The kids will love the pool. More dining choices for kids with Epcot and Boardwalk.

It'd be nice being close to the MK with the monorail, but figure we can survive with the buses. We've done it before.

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
If finances are not an issue, I would say that choice depends on what you like to do with your vacation time.

GF on the monorail gives you quick access to MK if that's where you spend a lot of time. If you like taking advantage of water sports, spa/gym and easy access to a number of signature dining, then GF is more convenient.

If you spend more time in Epcot or Epcot/Studios then Yacht or Beach are a good bet for you.

Proximity is particularly important if you have smaller children. To be able to easily duck out of a park and walk to your room for naps or supplies is a MAJOR convenience. It is great to be able to walk out of Epcot after Illuminations without having to deal with busses or whatever.

My personal preference is for Beach Club

Upvote 0
My kids love the pool at YC/BC but the GF is our favorite resort over all -and we've tried them all. We love the MK area best and would spend most of our time there. So it depends what you envision your family doing on your trip. We like to go to MK late and stay until it closes. The buses can be painful back to the EPCOT resorts. Our favorite is a Yc then GF split.

Good luck with what you decide.

D

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Original Poster
My kids love the pool at YC/BC but the GF is our favorite resort over all -and we've tried them all. We love the MK area best and would spend most of our time there. So it depends what you envision your family doing on your trip. We like to go to MK late and stay until it closes. The buses can be painful back to the EPCOT resorts. Our favorite is a Yc then GF split.

Good luck with what you decide.

D

You bring up ALL the things I'm worried about. I'd say we spend more time at the MK than anywhere else, but we also spend a great deal of time at Epcot. Plus, my oldest is a fish and LOVES a cool swimming area. But we've got two 3 year olds so taking a bus back after a late night at the MK is a pain. Plus, it'd be great to have the monorail for afternoon breaks from the MK.

Split stay doesn't really help us. We like to go to a different park every day, as opposed to having an Epcot week then a MK week.

Upvote 0
Well during our YC/ EPCOT week we do EPCOT and DHS. You can walk back and forth to both. Then when we move to the Grand Floridian we do MK and if we WANT to do Animal Kingdom we will take the bus that park. It works out great for us and saves us a lot of time in transportation. That way we don't get stuck in evening park crowds, either. We enjoy both resorts and the GF pools are really nice, too.

D

Upvote 0

Pete C

When was YC refurbed? What did they change about the rooms?

Nevermind...I looked at pics from the old rooms and I definitely had a refurbed room last time I went.

Upvote 0

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
Here is my two cents.. I would go with the Grand Floridian. And yes I have stayed at all of the deluxe resorts in all the room views numerous times... but my family loves the GF. My husband actually never wanted to stay here because he felt it would be too stuffy. But once we stayed here (deluxe room concierge level) he soon changed his mind. He loved to be able to sit in the lounge with his breakfast and look out the windows at the beach and just relax......

He felt that the YC had much more of a stiff atmosphere and really did not care for it. We will choose the BWI or BC over it when staying in the Epcot area. Yes the YC does have that wonderful pool but the GF has two pools that are really nice also. We actuall had a beautiful view of one of them plus the lagoon from out balcony at the GF. I will try to post it.

I also like the food choices at the GF much better and if I want to go to Ohanas or the Luau it's a nice walk over to the Poly along the water from the GF. They have a wonderful Spa on property and a nice gym which is much nicer than the one at the YC.

Also another bad point... the elevators. They really need to have more of them in the YC. It seems like you are walking FOREVER to get to your room if you are not located near one.

And if you want to go to Epcot just take the monorail to the TTC and switch monorails... sooo easy and convenient!

Pam

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom