Grand Floridian VS. Yacht Club

captainkidd

As we all know, the GF is the flagship resort. However, in the majority of guide books, YC gets named best Deluxe Resort. Which do you prefer and why?

I'm not voting as this summer will be our 1st stay at the Yacht Club, but I am curious to hear what other people say.

captainkidd

Original Poster
One thing (though kind of insignificant) I don't care for with either Yacht or Beach is the dresser and how the TV sits on top of it. All the other deluxes have beautiful armoires with the TV built in. I wonder why Yacht and Beach didn't get those.:shrug:

Upvote 0

durangojim

One thing (though kind of insignificant) I don't care for with either Yacht or Beach is the dresser and how the TV sits on top of it. All the other deluxes have beautiful armoires with the TV built in. I wonder why Yacht and Beach didn't get those.:shrug:

At the BC and many other refurbished deluxes the TVs are on the walls now.

Upvote 0

marcriss

As DurangoJim noted above, the TV's in the YC are now on the wall.
picture.php

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Original Poster
This was a pic I saw of one of the new YC rooms. According to the post, it's a water view room. As you can see, there are more windows than come normal in a Disney room. Maybe that's why. In any case, I definitely prefer the previous pic with the daybed and the TV in the wall.

IMG_2187.jpg

Upvote 0

marcriss

As DurangoJim noted above, the TV's in the YC are now on the wall.
picture.php

This was a water view room too. We overlooked the gazebo and were able to watch Illuminations from the balcony. I have to admit I do not like the TV on the desk. I don't think that's a regular room. The room looks bigger.

Upvote 0

thewhitequeen

I like Yacht Club better because the rooms are in one building (especially in the summer downpours). The only way you avoid that at GF is to book deluxe club level which is insanely priced (and not worth the money).

Upvote 0

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
This is a hard poll b/c these are my two fav resorts. GF is just the ultimate experience! It's amazing! But my DH and I love love love the YC! It's a close 2nd to the GF experience. To save the cash - stay at the YC! You still have great access to the resorts! It's a really close call - you'll be so happy at both! :wave:

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Original Poster
Would you agree with these grades from the Unofficial Guide readers? Worrying me, as the YC has very average grades, while the GF has very good ones.

Yacht Club
Room Quality - C+
Check-in - B
Quietness - C+
Bus Service - D
Pool - B
Staff - C+
Food - C-
Overall - C+

Grand Floridian
Room Quality - B+
Check-in - A
Quietness - B+
Bus Service - A-
Pool - B
Staff - A
Food - C-
Overall - B+

Would you recommend hotel to a friend:
Grand Floridian Resort 87% (+14%)
Yacht Club Resort 64% (-22%)

Would you stay at hotel again:
Grand Floridian Resort 89% (+9%)
Yacht Club Resort 83% (-3%)

Upvote 0

marcriss

Yacht Club
Room Quality - C+ with the refurb I would say b+ to A
Check-in - B We've never had a problem.
Quietness - C+ Unless you're overlooking SAB, it is pretty quiet. We ask for a higher level floor, away from the pool.
Bus Service - D We don't use it.
Pool - B I don't see how this is anything but an A.
Staff - C+ Never had an issue with staff.
Food - C- There's no food court but there are plenty of options and everything is good.
Overall - C+ I would rate it an A. We've spent 10 days each of the last 5 years, and shorter says over the last 12 years and never had a problem.

We've never stayed at GF because it's never appealed to us.

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Original Poster
Yacht Club
Room Quality - C+ with the refurb I would say b+ to A
Check-in - B We've never had a problem.
Quietness - C+ Unless you're overlooking SAB, it is pretty quiet. We ask for a higher level floor, away from the pool.
Bus Service - D We don't use it.
Pool - B I don't see how this is anything but an A.
Staff - C+ Never had an issue with staff.
Food - C- There's no food court but there are plenty of options and everything is good.
Overall - C+ I would rate it an A. We've spent 10 days each of the last 5 years, and shorter says over the last 12 years and never had a problem.

We've never stayed at GF because it's never appealed to us.

Thank you for your response. That makes me feel better.

My big concern was the "D" for bus service. We'll be depending on buses to and from the MK. One thing we did discuss last night was possibly taking taxi's to the CR. Figure, 5 days at MK, $20 to the CR, maybe it'd be worth spending $100 not to have to worry about the buses.

Upvote 0

Dwarful

well, last June we stayed at Boardwalk and we shared buses with YC to MK. They had numerous buses running, we never had to stand on the ride home (think all stars). Of course we always go early, not sure how it was mid day. The buses aren't keeping us from going to YC this July. You could always give it a try on the first day and if you really aren't happy, then you could opt for the taxi.

Upvote 0

marcriss

I could be wrong, but I think during peak season they only share with the BC. I think many years ago (before kids) my DH and I did the buses there and it wasn't bad. Before we started renting a car we always used taxis if we needed to get somewhere and didn't have the luxury of dealing with the buses.

We frequently walked to the Contemporary at night to grab a taxi too, just to not have to hassle with the crowds.

I honestly think you'll love the YC. We used to stay at the WL all the time and once we started staying at the YC we just couldn't imagine not staying there. The one time we deviated (had to stay BC because there was no availability at YC) we had a horrible trip and ultimately were moved over to the YC so that the manager could take care of the situation.

Upvote 0

Vance V

As we all know, the GF is the flagship resort. However, in the majority of guide books, YC gets named best Deluxe Resort. Which do you prefer and why?

I'm not voting as this summer will be our 1st stay at the Yacht Club, but I am curious to hear what other people say.

[FONT=&quot]Yacht clubs are sports club that are specially formed for people who like to sailing and yachting. They are mostly located by the sea. You can enjoy many water activities in a yacht club like yachting, sailing and fishing but whereas in a beach club/ a resort you cannot enjoy these facilities.[/FONT]

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Original Poster
[FONT=&quot]Yacht clubs are sports club that are specially formed for people who like to sailing and yachting. They are mostly located by the sea. You can enjoy many water activities in a yacht club like yachting, sailing and fishing but whereas in a beach club/ a resort you cannot enjoy these facilities.[/FONT]

:confused:

Upvote 0

durangojim

Hopefully the poster above knows that neither the Yacht Club nor the Beach Clubs are actual clubs. That being said I'd rate the staff at GF a B, not an A. If you're splitting your trip between the two, I'd say just go for it. You're not going to have a bad time at either place and then in the future you'll know which you prefer.

Upvote 0

freediverdude

I'm not understanding those ratings by the Unofficial Guide, for both hotels. Yacht Club room quality C+? What gets an A with these people? Quietness C+? Yacht Club is one of the quieter resorts. Food C-? You'd think the Yacht Club was a Holiday Inn with a cafeteria if you believe these people.

And then for the GF, Food C-? I think Victoria & Albert's is one of only a few AAA 5 star restaurants in Florida. On the other hand, bus service A- doesn't sound right either. They often have issues being the last to be picked up there sharing buses. And room quality B+, again, I would like to see what constitutes an A then.

So no, I definitely would not go by these ratings, lol.

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Original Poster
The ratings are from the readers. What's weird is that Yacht Club's pool rating is a B, while Beach Club's is an A.

For some reason, it seems many people that love Beach Club simply dislike Yacht Club because it's not the Beach Club.

Upvote 0
I posted on this thread a while back...I am going in July and having similar feelings about these resorts and thinking of doing our usual summer split of YC/GF. Well yesterday I jumped out of the box, decided to save a bundle of money and booked AKL. Something different we've never done before. I hope I like it. :ROFLOL:

D

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom