Grand Avenue and Baseline Tap House

c-one

Not only was the DCA version inferior in ride execution and design, but the DHS version always has had incredible site lines down Sunset Blvd.

In my opinion, it's one of the most dramatic views in any Disney park.
One of my favorite/least favorite details about the differences between the two comes from the ground-level view. At DHS, you had all of Sunset Boulevard from the middle of the park framing the tower. A glamorous SoCal vista that told the whole story. At DCA, they put the tower behind a warehouse, oriented such that the runway markings from the airfield zone across the park lined straight up at the faux-damage on the tower, 2 years after 9/11. Whoops!

No Name

How so? What knowledge and expertise has helped you develop this idea?

Knowledge and expertise? Weathering simply does not contribute to the theme of the area or the park. Do you see artificial weathering on Hollywood Blvd, or most elsewhere in DHS? Do you see on Main Street USA? Do you see it much in the original MK or Epcot Center, or anywhere in the original DL? No, because there's no reason for it. It's a detail that doesn't contribute, and a detail that doesn't contribute is a distraction. Any good artist, author, director, etc. will tell you that.

In Animal Kingdom, weathering contributes to the theme of our relationship with nature. In DHS, it only takes away from the Hollywood that never was and always will be.

Last edited:

GlacierGlacier

Knowledge and expertise? Weathering simply does not contribute to the theme of the area or the park. Do you see artificial weathering on Hollywood Blvd, or most elsewhere in DHS? Do you see on Main Street USA? Do you see it much in the original MK or Epcot Center, or anywhere in the original DL? No, because there's no reason for it. It's a detail that doesn't contribute, and a detail that doesn't contribute is a distraction. Any good artist, author, director, etc. will tell you that.

In Animal Kingdom, weathering contributes to the theme of our relationship with nature. In DHS, it only takes away from the Hollywood that never was and always will be.
The reason they don't have weathering in the rest of the park is exactly that. It's a fantastical hollywood, with everything being spick and span. This is supposed to be a relatively modern street in LA, with all the age that comes with that. In this case, weathering is used to tell the story that these buildings and the art aren't new, and that they've got a history, a past to them. It's why there's a sign saying 'Historic District' on one of the buildings.

Also, Tower of Terror is another building that's weathered in the park, but that's irrelevant right now.

TJJohn12

A tad disappointed that even though it's sharing a kitchen with Sci-Fi, I can't get a beer and a burger. But I can see how they're building this as a place to stop in (killing time before SWL), not linger endlessly eating.

ABQ

Not my favorite beer selections but I realize not everyone enjoys Stouts and Porters so I understand them capturing pallets of all types.
I agree, though it's also in part due to the California theme of the tap room. Certainly you can get a great stout or porter from a number of California brewers, Bruery's Chocolate Rain is phenomenal, they aren't the most prevalent styles for a typically sunny and warm weather climate, so the seemingly more refreshing styles are served. Won't stop me from trying a flight though.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I agree, though it's also in part due to the California theme of the tap room. Certainly you can get a great stout or porter from a number of California brewers, Bruery's Chocolate Rain is phenomenal, they aren't the most prevalent styles for a typically sunny and warm weather climate, so the seemingly more refreshing styles are served. Won't stop me from trying a flight though.
I agree. I am not one to have a seasonal pallet, although maybe a stout on a 100 degree day doesn't sound to refreshing haha

Last edited:

durangojim

Besides anything without a sealed cap on it, at Disney, will be watered down for increase profit and assurance that everyone will be broke before intoxication sets in.
I have to disagree. Martini's at Brown Derby, an Old Fashioned at the Belle Vue, Margaritas at La Cava, and slushes in France all pack a strong and tasty punch. Never experienced the drinks being watered down. But maybe it's just where I get my drinks.

Maccabee18

I wonder if Disney is going to go the lazy route and rename the park DCA, since there is a lot of CA inspired theming now. Even all the drinks at the baseline are CA based.

No Name

The reason they don't have weathering in the rest of the park is exactly that. It's a fantastical hollywood, with everything being spick and span. This is supposed to be a relatively modern street in LA, with all the age that comes with that. In this case, weathering is used to tell the story that these buildings and the art aren't new, and that they've got a history, a past to them. It's why there's a sign saying 'Historic District' on one of the buildings.

Also, Tower of Terror is another building that's weathered in the park, but that's irrelevant right now.

Well yes, that's the root of the problem. Sure, I suppose weathering makes sense with the story of the land, but why did the land choose to have that story? Does it work well with the theme of the park? I fail to see how it does. The same could be said for the griminess of Galaxy's Edge.

...especially in DL, where not even the Haunted Mansion has weathering. If the imagineers back then didn't understand Walt's decision, I can't expect the current ones to. Heck, many think that going into movies is a theme.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom