Grade F for Eisner

ToTBellHop

Re: Confirmation

Originally posted by Matt56
Has Time Racers or Soarin been confirmed yet? Do you you think the grand opening for space will double and an announcement for these two attractions?

Time Racer has been basically confirmed by Disney. No press release until September, but we know it is happening, and Microsoft is footing the bill. Soarin' is VERY strongly rumored, but neither confirmed nor funded.

imagineer boy

Originally posted by Blizz

Now I know once you have gone so high, all you can do is fall, well Disney is falling, and hard.

Now, I'm not defending Micheal Eisner or anything, but I don't think Dinsey is falling at all. Sure, there's the SARS problem, but things are going good for Disney lately. Once Mission: Space opens, EPCOT will be very buisy and popular. After the terrorist attack threats and war in Iraq problems are over, things will be as good as usual. Besides, its not like once Wells died, the whole company has into a complete disaster. Sure, there have been some ups and downs. See, look what happened after Wells, Test Track, Rock'n Roller Coaster, ToT, and now Mission Space. Things will eventually approve. Trust me.;)

pheneix

>>>but also realize that when Eisner had his glorious turn around for Disney, Frank Wells was still #2 at disney.<<<

AMEN brother! Michael Eisner deserves ZERO credit for any "revitalization" of the Disney brand. The Bass Brothers really hired Frank Wells to do the job, but without a Hollywood hot-shot to come in and add some "cool" factor to the company it would be next to impossible for people to take notice of any large scale change at Disney. Enter Michael Eisner.

It was the talented people like Frank Wells, Jeffrey Katzenburg and Rick Nunis that made the Disney Decade. There's a joke that has been making the rounds about the whole ordeal.

The heart and soul of the company died in a helicopter accident.

The brains of the company ran off to Dreamworks.

The arms and legs were cut off to save costs and ran off to Universal.

All that's left is the @$$.

----------------------------------------------

In the meantime...

ALL HAIL! THE KING OF THE LOSERS!

MICHAEL EISNER!!!

Blizz

Finally someone I agree with.

Sid Bass and the board hired Eisner to be the show man and Wells to be the brains.

I couldnt agree more!

But I do give some credit to Eisner, I mean he was very good at signing his name to the imagineers ideas. ( <~~sarcasim, if you didn't notice)

Blizz

Originally posted by LivinLarge
Really, Blizz, before you say something, think as if you were in that persons shoes.

I know Eisner does a lot of work. But others make it sound liek he is the one funding these projects and creating them, and building them. Time Racers, Everest, Mission Space, all the man did was approve them and he will oversee them. Give credit where credit is due.

I just dont care for Eisner's style of buisness. He is a show man as I said. Sid Bass and the board (Roy Disney included) must have saw something good in him, and he was great in the 80s. I mean he took it from a pithy theme park and movie company to a thriving buisness which today influences many other companies. But as someone posted his bad years, were those with Pressler and post-Frank Wells.

I think Eisner has forgotten what the Walt Disney Company stood for in the days of Walt. Walt was a dreamer and vissionary much like Frank Wells. So I believe Disney needs another Walt or Frank to turn it around once again.

ToTBellHop

I know Eisner does a lot of work. But others make it sound liek he is the one funding these projects and creating them, and building them. Time Racers, Everest, Mission Space, all the man did was approve them and he will oversee them. Give credit where credit is due.

I just dont care for Eisner's style of buisness. He is a show man as I said. Sid Bass and the board (Roy Disney included) must have saw something good in him, and he was great in the 80s. I mean he took it from a pithy theme park and movie company to a thriving buisness which today influences many other companies. But as someone posted his bad years, were those with Pressler and post-Frank Wells.

I think Eisner has forgotten what the Walt Disney Company stood for in the days of Walt. Walt was a dreamer and vissionary much like Frank Wells. So I believe Disney needs another Walt or Frank to turn it around once again.

All I will say is Eisner always reserves the right to allow a project to proceed or not. A lot of fantastic projects are proceeding. I give the Imagineers credit for them being incredible, and I will always see the Imagineers as the greatest people inside the company, but I give Mike a lot of credit for allowing these projects to beyond the drawing board--this is the same reason I give Jay Rasulo a lot of credit; he is the best thing to happen to the Parks and Resorts in several years.

Blizz

Well when you talk about just Walt Disney World, I do think Rasulo is great compaired to Pressler. And I have always thought Al Weiss to be an asset for Walt Disney Resorts.

And thats what I like to hear, imagineers getting credit. Personally I think if imagineeres ran the company it would be more like it was back when uncle walt ran it.

WDW John

I don't understand all this complaining about Mikey's compensation. Last year he made only $1 million and got NO bonus. Notice that that is less than 1/3 what other comparable CEOs made (on average).

Also realize that the years where he made a ton of money he got large bonuses. His bonus is determined by the Board of Directors. If they feel he made great contributions and turned a big profit for the company, they reward him what they feel is justified.

I know that the "little people" make the company what it is, but without the proper leadership those people won't even make a difference. (I'm speaking in generalities here and not trying to pick on anyone in particular.)

Blizz

Its ok, I know you are talking to me about that one, point fingers for all i care, but you are right in that aspect. Just like the Bass brothers keep Mike in line. A company has to be balanced, the right amount of leadership and the righ amount of "little guys" to make it run right, and a good product never hurt anything.

Eisner has a hard time, I mean its not like a company like Coca-Cola who has one product that rarly changes, Disney has to reinvent itself to keep it running. So I can understand both sides, but I just dont care for his recent work.

i wouldn't give him an F, i would give him a C+.

TURKEY

The board hasn't been very independent if at all. They've been buddy buddy with each other most of the time.

I wonder why the Bass family decided to sell a considerable portion, if not all, within the past 2 years.

TURKEY

Originally posted by WDW John

I know that the "little people" make the company what it is, but without the proper leadership those people won't even make a difference. (I'm speaking in generalities here and not trying to pick on anyone in particular.)

I'm sure all the little people that have lost their job at Disney are glad leadership is making the right decisions. I'm sure the people at Enron and WorldCom are happy their leadership did too. I'm sure they are thrilled to not have a job, while the CEOs get the big bucks even if it's only a million. I'm sure the people fighting to get by from month to month are real pleased.

niteobsrvr

Finally someone I agree with.

Sid Bass and the board hired Eisner to be the show man and Wells to be the brains.

I couldnt agree more!

But I do give some credit to Eisner, I mean he was very good at signing his name to the imagineers ideas. ( <~~sarcasim, if you didn't notice)

This is the Formula that worked for Disney since its inception. One showman and one business man at the helm. Walt was the showman and Roy was the financier. Mike was the show and Frank the business man.

The worst times in Disney history have been when this formula wasn't followed or worse, one half of the team wasn't up to par.

niteobsrvr

I bet if Uncle Walt had a grave he would be rolling in it!

Personally, I think he would be glad that after the 70's and early 80's, the company still exists. I also think Walt would be amazed and ashamed at what has become of the American Public. I also think he would be disappointed to a certain extent at how his dreams had to change to meet our societies new demands.

I think we all know that Walt did not hate change but actually embraced it. He was constantly searching for new and better ways to do things. In his career and his personal life, he managed to learn not only form his failures but also from his successes. This was all in an effort to keep getting better and turning bigger dreams into reality.

The most important part of his search for excellence was his ability to maintain his values, honesty and integrity. I truly don't think Walt would be impressed with how we have shirked the qualities he held so dear in our quest to increase our wealth, boost our egos, make ourselves feel good.

There is always a lot of blaming on these boards and in the media in general directed at Michael and a few other individuals currently or formerly in charge of the Disney Companies. While I beleive a certain part of this is justified, we also must look in the mirror and around at our own lives. A lot of things that have happened at DIsney have also ocurred in other companies and directly reflect changes in our society in general.

When Walt built DIsneyland, He wanted a clean fun place where families could go and have fun together. He wanted to create a simpler time because he saw where our lives were going and didn't like it. There is a reason Mainstreet USA resembless his hometown. He saw his childhood as a simpler time where dreams were grandiose and more importantly possible.

We are nearly 50 years beyond the opening day of Disneyland and my how things have changed since then. I doubt that Walt could have even foretold where we would be today. And, as I stated earlier, I very seriously doubt he would approve. Just the fact that we are on the internet spending our time arguing about peoples job performance we don't even personally know would have seemed a waste of time. He would probalby have been spending this time thinking up even better ways to entertain the world with even more magic, while maintaining his honesty, integrity and other values he held dearly.

Re: Re: Confirmation

Originally posted by DogsRule!
Time Racer has been basically confirmed by Disney. No press release until September, but we know it is happening, and Microsoft is footing the bill.

Project Gemini (including Time Racers) is NOT going to happen.

Besides, Spaceship Earth is already too popular an attraction to get changed like that.

As for the sponsors, I read in a recent issue of Eyes & Ears that AT&T renewed its sponsorship of Spaceship Earth. No wonder the attraction's AT&T references are still there.

Blizz

I have doubted Project Gemini, since I heard rumor 1. I cant see them gutting SE for a ride like this. It would be easier to knock it down and re build it, and they wont do that because it is the parks icon.

Tim G

Originally posted by DisneyInsider
The problem with people who look at him in these situations, haven't tracked him through his entire career. Remember if it wasn't for Eisner being hired back in the 80's there was a chance that the Walt Disney Company was going to sell and no one would have known the fate of the parks today. Eisner saved the Walt Disney Company and it was people like Paul Pressler and their bad choices that make Eisner look bad.

Compare the Eisner with Pressler to the Eisner with Rasulo. Notice how much more is getting done now that they are trying to fix everything Pressler messed up. So even though we were all mad at Eisner before, I think he is doing a much better job now.

Hear, hear...

Epcot is my fav

Original Poster
Re: Re: Re: Confirmation

Originally posted by disneyphilip
Project Gemini (including Time Racers) is NOT going to happen.

Besides, Spaceship Earth is already too popular an attraction to get changed like that.

As for the sponsors, I read in a recent issue of Eyes & Ears that AT&T renewed its sponsorship of Spaceship Earth. No wonder the attraction's AT&T references are still there.

I totally agree.....it will never happen.......if it does there will be a lot of people turning on Eisner for this mistake....on the other hand others will want it to go through

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom