Governors flock to Disney World (when they shouldn't be)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Chaos

We had about 26 to 30 inches by me... And my street was just plowed TODAY.. Of course, this comes on the heels of our mayor raising our taxes next quarter due to Christie's... Well, let's not make this any more political than it already is....

I actually heard Christie wanted to visit the new land Disney was making for him in FLE.. Dumbo's Circus.. :)

Phonedave

Our streets got plowed today. They are very good. Three days after, $10K in taxes buys you something haha

Not commenting either way (my streets were clear Monday morning, but my condo complex lot was not) but this is the second time I have seen "three days after" mentioned.

It snowed Sunday. Up here it stopped around 7 PM. Three days would be 7 PM Wednesday. Even if it stopped earlier in the south where you guys are, it still hasn't been three days.

-dave

inluvwithbeast

At least it's snow and not that much rain. And you could be without power. I'm glad our Christmas Eve blizzard last year was taken care of quickly.

_Scar

Original Poster
Mmm, snow free Florida feels so good against my skin.

Well, where I'm at it flirts with freezing temp. but north towards Orlando does get blow freezing so snow is a maybe :animwink: just not at all what the east coast is going through ):

devoy1701

Well, where I'm at it flirts with freezing temp. but north towards Orlando does get blow freezing so snow is a maybe :animwink: just not at all what the east coast is going through ):

23 degrees this morning at my house in my outskirts of Tampa. It was below freezing at Disney when I was there on Monday till around 10am. While the cold temperatures don't really effect transportation or anything, I have noticed that the crowds were significantly smaller than I expected on those days! I thought MK was going to be a zoo this past monday!

scmit02

Growing up in the Midwest and spending a few years on the east coast I think it is fair to say I am no stranger to snow. That said, I can also say that I do not fault the NJ Governor for being on vacation...it happens. Heck for a few days he couldn't have gotten back if he tried since the airports were closed.

That said...In Chicago we had a 3 day rule for snow (I think this time frame was mentioned a few times). Here is the breakdown: within 24 hours of a MAJOR snowfall: almost nothing will happen as everyone including the plows are stuck in a blizzard situation. Within 48 hours: major streets will become somewhat cleared and side streets (depending on location and what is located on them; such as hospitals, police stations, etc.) may be in early stages of being cleared. The variable here is emergency services. If a lot of calls go out the plows will work on clearing routes for the worst calls. Within 60 hours: disaster breaks out because not enough has been cleared to be "normal", but enough yahoos now have their cars out and are driving around getting in the way of plows or just getting stuck. Days 4 and 5 are when things actually get better. I understand cabin fever but never understand why non-essential personnel are out and about on day 2 or 3.

Oh and I hate to say it but I fear the worst of this is yet to come...this snow reaches the Carolinas and it all has to melt. If the eastern seaboard stays out of a deep freeze it will do it somewhat quickly and the flooding will be HORRIBLE!

flavious27

the problem with christie being at disney is that his second in command took a trip to mexico at the same time which means that the acting governor is the senate president. the whole point of the lt gov position is that this doesn't happen; chris and kim should have worked out their vacation plans to not be concurrent.

Epcotbob

Here in Minnesota, we usually are pretty much completely cleared within 24 hours after a major snowstorm. That, in a state with average property taxes around $3200.

New Jersey has average property taxes around $8200.

You would have thought New Jersey would have built up world class public services over the last decade.....where has all your money gone ??

flavious27

Here in Minnesota, we usually are pretty much completely cleared within 24 hours after a major snowstorm. That, in a state with average property taxes around $3200.

New Jersey has average property taxes around $8200.

You would have thought New Jersey would have built up world class public services over the last decade.....where has all your money gone ??

To compensate the state budgets of red states. When I lived for the first quarter century of my life in jersey, the only roads that were not touched were in towns that didn't have basic public services. Most of the roads were bare and dry within the first 24 hours after the storm ended, the only exceptions was the ice storm of 93. With the recession, there have been alot of personnel cuts throughout the state and that will delay any plowing, also state workers had this week already taken off for planned vacations.

PhilharMagician

Better them than me! I would rather battle the blizzard condiions we had here than battle those crowds at WDW right now!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW if you don't like Chris Christie, just send him up to NY. We need someone to clean house up here.

flavious27

Better them than me! I would rather battle the blizzard condiions we had here than battle those crowds at WDW right now!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW if you don't like Chris Christie, just send him up to NY. We need someone to clean house up here.

you don't want the mess that he will create afterwords. But NY is also a different state then jersey, the difference in how local government is handled is part of the costs in jersey.

Epcotbob

To compensate the state budgets of red states. When I lived for the first quarter century of my life in jersey, the only roads that were not touched were in towns that didn't have basic public services. Most of the roads were bare and dry within the first 24 hours after the storm ended, the only exceptions was the ice storm of 93. With the recession, there have been alot of personnel cuts throughout the state and that will delay any plowing, also state workers had this week already taken off for planned vacations.

State / Local Property taxes go to red states ??

I've never heard that before....here is the standard definition of Property Taxes:

Property tax finances the services of your local government. Your share of the taxes goes to support public schools, fire and police protection, roads, health programs, parks, city streets, sewer systems, garbage disposal, public libraries, and many other local services.

Tigger1988

If cleaning up house means raising taxes, cutting budgets and literally "squeezing every penny" of the state's money....you can have him.

Sir Goofy

If cleaning up house means raising taxes, cutting budgets and literally "squeezing every penny" of the state's money....you can have him.

GASP!!!! A Governor trying to balance his states budget, and stop deficit spending... how dare he!!!! Does he not know that he can continue to spend money the state doesnt have, and that will be OK by the people?!?! I applaud him hor "squeezing every penny" out of the states budget, and for putting his family as a priority in his life to take a vacation to WDW!

I live in Minnesota, where we had 22 inches of snow 3 weeks ago, followed by 10 inches the next weekend, and more to come! We all survived just fine! The roads were not great for a few days, but thats what happens! We even made it to Disney on Ice during the 22 inch blizzard- had our pick of great seats!!!:sohappy:

flavious27

State / Local Property taxes go to red states ??

I've never heard that before....here is the standard definition of Property Taxes:

Property tax finances the services of your local government. Your share of the taxes goes to support public schools, fire and police protection, roads, health programs, parks, city streets, sewer systems, garbage disposal, public libraries, and many other local services.

NJ only gets back $0.61 for every dollar sent to the fed in the form of income taxes, for most blue states they get short changed yet for red states it is the opposite. That short change means that the state sends less back to the local towns and puts more expenses on them in turn. Add to that the cost of living is higher in the NE and medicare is a larger expense to the state.

So yes, local taxes in NJ are higher because the money that towns would be getting, it is being sent to Alaska and Mississippi and Arizona and other states that fritter it away.

flavious27

GASP!!!! A Governor trying to balance his states budget, and stop deficit spending... how dare he!!!! Does he not know that he can continue to spend money the state doesnt have, and that will be OK by the people?!?! I applaud him hor "squeezing every penny" out of the states budget, and for putting his family as a priority in his life to take a vacation to WDW!

I live in Minnesota, where we had 22 inches of snow 3 weeks ago, followed by 10 inches the next weekend, and more to come! We all survived just fine! The roads were not great for a few days, but thats what happens! We even made it to Disney on Ice during the 22 inch blizzard- had our pick of great seats!!!:sohappy:

The way he is doing it is the typical republican way of lowering taxes for the highest bracket and increasing his own budget and special projects. Oh and he has cost the taxpayers over $700 million in federal funds.

Tigger1988

The way he is doing it is the typical republican way of lowering taxes for the highest bracket and increasing his own budget and special projects. Oh and he has cost the taxpayers over $700 million in federal funds.

Yup, and lest we forget the $400 million he lost us in funds for education by not sending in the correct forms, and then proceeding to blame everyone but himself for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom