Governors flock to Disney World (when they shouldn't be)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tigger1988

an open can o' worms is an understatment, lol

im sorry to rain on anyones parade, but i live in jersey, unfortunatly have lived here for the last 35 years, and i have to say its about time we had a gov like cristy in office who isnt afraid to kill useless tunnels and "trim the fat" to save money and get the state back into the green. so what he went to disney. he needs a vacation too, and probably had it planned for months like the rest of us do when we go. it isnt his fault any of this happened. it ours, heres why.

youd think that livingh in the north all our lives, people would realize that every year for a few months it turns cold and this white stuff falls from the sky making everything slippery. youd also think that all the drivers out there would have commen sence and either know how to drive in snow or stay home alltogether. but every year it seems that everyone thinks we live in the sahara and snow never happens. the reason why most of us havnt been plowed yet is because of idiots trying to drive in it and getting stuck, blocking the roads so the plows cant get down our streets to begin with. i sat outside monday and watched 3 cars get stuck on a corner because they didnt see the forth car, who was first, get stuck, so now all 4 of them are blocking the road, and then they abandon their cars and dont come back till the next day. i see people stopping in the middle of the highways to get out and clean their wipers.

its about time the people in this country started taking responibility for themselvs and their own idiocy and stop passing the blame off on everybody else.

I think we're gonna need a bigger can opener........

There's so much wrong with what you wrote, beginning with the fact you can't even spell the Governor's name correctly.

Lock it up mods.

bryPOD

Yea, I totally understand why the OP started this thread, but let's lock it up now.

Politics divide us, Disney unites us.

rkelly42

When dealing with a topic like politics, how can you not see it coming. You should have known how this thread would turn out.

bkgrim

Let him enjoy his vacation! I am sure he has planned this for a while. I just wonder where he is staying. I am at animal kingdom lodge now and would like to but him a big Turkey leg from magic KINGDOM.

JimboJones123

I have to throw in when it comes to complaining about snow removal. It is the most petty complaining in the world.

"Why can't my local government solve what insurance carriers call acts of god?"

1. Don't live north if you hate it so bad. Move. Move your family. Concider your friends secondary to your hate of the snow. Find a different job. Whatever it takes. Nobody in this country is forced to live in snowy states.

2. Find a home where the weather won't affect you so.

3. Move to a neighborhood where several plow owners live. That is what we did. We have streets plowed every 4 hours.

4. Snowblow yourself.

5. Don't leave the house.

Priorities in snow --- emergency vehicles. That is it. If it takes a week. Emergency vehicles. The rest of us are secondary.

Plowers work harder over 72 hour spans than complainers do over any three given days in their lives.

By being WDW fans here, I am pretty secure in assuming that amost everybody here is at least lower-middle if not middle class. Guess what. It gets worse for the lower classes needing plowing. Seriously. It gets bad when meals on wheels folks who live in homes worth less than 10k cannot get a hot meal delivered for several days. Be grateful that most can fend for themselves pretty well when crazy weather hits. Try looking beyond your self indulgent complaining box a bit before seriously getting upset over a little snow removal.

Tigger1988

Most emergency vehicles in the area are currently stuck in snow. Someone a few streets over had to get an army vehicle sent to their house for someone who needed to go to the ER. Ambulances can't get through the snow because the town doesn't have enough plows to get them out.

One of our neighbors is a doctor, she currently can't drive to the hospital to do her job. She had to WALK to there, because the town wouldn't come plow our street.

As for moving, it rarely, rarely ever snows this much in this part of New Jersey. I'm not up and moving because we have one record snowfall...but thanks for the unwanted advice. We pay taxes for public works, that includes snow plowing, people have every right to be angry when roads are full of 3+ feet of snow 3 days later.

_Scar

Original Poster
But of course, the Huffington Post didnt report that Barry is on Hawaii, while DC is getting snowed on and our economy is in the hole... still... Maybe if he were staying at Aulani, then it would be good news for Huff.... :brick: Or is it just Republicans that shouldnt be traveling with their families???

Uhhh.... interesting name indeed....

Good news for Huff? This isn't about where the story was posted! Did you not see the links to the same story posted on several different websites? This is about Walt Disney World being in the news and how (at least I think) it's publicity for them. That's all.

:brick:

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Uhhh.... interesting name indeed....

Good news for Huff? This isn't about where the story was posted! Did you not see the links to the same story posted on several different websites? This is about Walt Disney World being in the news and how (at least I think) it's publicity for them. That's all.

Well, you know, just consider the source....:rolleyes:

T-1MILLION

One human being does not run a state.

It must suck to have a job where you are judged when taking a vacation and why you should not.

surfsupdon

Anyone know which Resort the Christies stay at??

The joke in state was that he skipped on Blizzard Beach too b/c he won't be seen in a bathing suit. He fortunately skipped this blizzard too.

The problem is that the newly created Lt. Governor is also on vacation, but to Mexico. The real country.

miles1

"Snow in the northeast happens often, which is why the response was handled expeditiously between the acting governor, secretary of transportation, state police and the governor's staff with all the appropriate and necessary coordination. And like every other day, the governor was and continues to be in regular contact with his staff and cabinet officers"

The reality of the matter here is that we are living in the 21st century. Twenty five or Thirty years ago, before the proliferation of wireless communications, such an absence may have been a cause for concern. Today the Governor could probably be video conferenced in the restroom stall at Pecos Bill's if the need arose. I'm sure he's probably painfully aware of this, as I have been on some vacations.

As others have said, it should come as no surprise that it snows (sometimes a lot) in the northeast during winter. For all the horror stories that you hear about snow storms, my experience is that the inconvenience rarely lasts more than 24 hours or so, except for those stranded at the airports. If you're fearful of winter weather, then stay home. Chances are that traveling will be just fine within a day or so.

Last, as others have said, our Politicians are still human and we can't expect them to serve their entire terms without taking some time off to spend with their families and away from the pressure of the job. If they weren't allowed to live, I doubt we'd have very many good people in government office.

rlm919

Most emergency vehicles in the area are currently stuck in snow. Someone a few streets over had to get an army vehicle sent to their house for someone who needed to go to the ER. Ambulances can't get through the snow because the town doesn't have enough plows to get them out.

One of our neighbors is a doctor, she currently can't drive to the hospital to do her job. She had to WALK to there, because the town wouldn't come plow our street.

As for moving, it rarely, rarely ever snows this much in this part of New Jersey. I'm not up and moving because we have one record snowfall...but thanks for the unwanted advice. We pay taxes for public works, that includes snow plowing, people have every right to be angry when roads are full of 3+ feet of snow 3 days later.

Where did it snow 3+ feet in jersey? I live in middlesex county, we got about 21 or so inches and i was never "trapped".

Tigger1988

Where did it snow 3+ feet in jersey? I live in middlesex county, we got about 21 or so inches and i was never "trapped".

Parts of Ocean County, not revealing what town I live in. We have snow drifts up to 6 feet tall.

Here's countless people who are currently stuck in their homes, waiting to be plowed. http://www.news12.com/articleDetail.jsp?articleId=269761&position=1&news_type=news

This video pretty much sums up what I and many others are experiencing http://www.news12.com/articleDetail.jsp?articleId=269823&position=1&news_type=news

surfsupdon

I live on the barrier island, we measured avg of 30 inches in the middle of yards, but have snow drifts easily 5 ft plus on roads, especially where the snow was wind whipped!

Not proving a point either way, just reporting.

rlm919

Ouch. I was able to get anywhere i needed to be by 11am yesterday (in a car not even a truck mind you). Guess my ridiculous local taxes are good for something.

Tigger1988

Wild right??! The boats in the boatyard are completely covered, thats drifts that are around ten ft total!!

It's scary stuff. The drifts surrounding our cars were at least 6 feet tall, never seen anything like it here.

What's the plow situation where you are?

surfsupdon

Our streets got plowed today. They are very good. Three days after, $10K in taxes buys you something haha

SeaCastle

We live in Monmouth County and our roads got plowed just last night, suffice to say we had over a foot of snow on our street (which is a pretty well-travelled road). Our snowfall totalled around two feet.

We were planning on going to Ocean City on the 26th (since we have relatives in Absecon). However, the impending blizzard shortened our plans and we left the morning of the 26th and saw around three car accidents on the parkway coming up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom