Government Rebate Checks

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Sadly :( my DS13 needs Braces... :D
Ouch. I finished paying for our 14 year old's braces about a year ago and I have a 6 year old that is only a few years away from getting them as well. Check out your local colleges and see if any have an orthodontic school. Here in Jacksonville JU has such a program and you can get braces there for about 1/4 the cost.

lpet11984

I knew as soon as I heard about these checks what I was going to do with mine... I figure if going to Disney on vacation is part of my civic duty, then so be it- Happy to do what I can for America. WDW here I come! :sohappy:

The Mom

Premium Member
Ouch. I finished paying for our 14 year old's braces about a year ago and I have a 6 year old that is only a few years away from getting them as well. Check out your local colleges and see if any have an orthodontic school. Here in Jacksonville JU has such a program and you can get braces there for about 1/4 the cost.

Fortunately, my son has my jaw, not his father's. My daughter was not so lucky, and had braces - after having teeth removed by an oral surgeon so she would have enough room in her mouth to realign the teeth.

Aside from the cost, I really disliked having to schedule all of the adjustment visits, in addition to routine cleaning. After school visits were like gold, so we had to choose between going into school late, or getting dimissed early. The Pediatric dentist was too far away from school to schedule during the day.

The good news is that my children had no fear of the dentist growing up, as they never experienced any pain. The bad news is that my daughter was horrified after her first visit to a general dentist who doesn't use gas for cleanings. :lol:

bgraham34

Dentists are fun, well to me they are. I would much rather go to the Dentist then goto the Dr. I had 3 wisdom teeth pulled and that was better than getting blood taken out.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Fortunately, my son has my jaw, not his father's. My daughter was not so lucky, and had braces - after having teeth removed by an oral surgeon so she would have enough room in her mouth to realign the teeth.

Aside from the cost, I really disliked having to schedule all of the adjustment visits, in addition to routine cleaning. After school visits were like gold, so we had to choose between going into school late, or getting dimissed early. The Pediatric dentist was too far away from school to schedule during the day.

The good news is that my children had no fear of the dentist growing up, as they never experienced any pain. The bad news is that my daughter was horrified after her first visit to a general dentist who doesn't use gas for cleanings. :lol:
My oldest, Brittney, had perfect teeth like her mother so no braces were required. I am not sure where Zoie got her teeth from as he father's teeth seemed pretty decent from the pictures I saw. Her teeth were simply all over the place. Riley has my teeth and sadly my recessed jaw as well so not only will she need braces but to be done correctly there will be some jaw surgery involved as well. Thank god my wife has decent dental/orthodontic coverage.

drewchyi

While this may be partly true, the $$ also goes to pay the employee who sold you the electronics (presumably a US citizen, if you bought at a store), the person who stocked it in the store, the driver who drove the truck to bring the product to the store, etc...those people then go and spend that hard-earned $$ on other products/services, thus creating more economic activity...at least that's the idea...so it actually does benefit quite a lot of people here in the States...in fact, it may keep some folks from being laid off...

exactly....this is a world economy. many companies here export their products, if you only purchase products made within your own country...that means you're telling other countries not to buy american items....thus jobs will be lost. ex: ford/gm etc. sells millions of cars around the world....

teddygurl28

my rebate check is going to pay off my credit card. :lookaroun....which i used to book my wdw vacation when found out how inexpensive it was to go down ( flights on jet blue were 180 rountrip! and we are staying at a value resort and so forth) :ROFLOL:so i guess uncle sam is paving the way to disney for me :sohappy::sohappy:

jjgoo

Well with living here in the good 'ol North East I have to save mine to help pay the oil bill this coming winter when it will surely be $4.00 a gallon. :eek:

However I wish that I could join all of you and paying for a trip to WDW. Maybe with help offsetting the oil payments we will still go.

MouseMadness

Ours will likely go to closing costs on a new house :hammer:

Or if we can get the sellers to do closing costs for us, maybe some new furniture. Disney is not going to be getting any money anytime soon :lol:

Unless somebody is interested in 29 acres of farmland in NW Ohio :lookaroun

elizs77

Ours will likely go to closing costs on a new house :hammer:

Or if we can get the sellers to do closing costs for us, maybe some new furniture. Disney is not going to be getting any money anytime soon :lol:

Unless somebody is interested in 29 acres of farmland in NW Ohio :lookaroun

We are offering some $$ towards closing costs on our house. Want to move to NC? :lol:

fosse76

This is not an advance on next years taxes. It's a rebate of this years taxes, that does not have any effect on 2008 taxes.

While you are somewhat correct that it will not have an effect on 2008 taxes, you are incorrect that it is a rebate of 2007 taxes. Here I quote language from the signed bill:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
`(a) In General- In the case of an eligible individual, there shall be allowed as a credit against the tax imposed by subtitle A for the first taxable year beginning in 2008 an amount equal to the lesser of--
  • `(1) net income tax liability, or
    `(2) $600 ($1,200 in the case of a joint return).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

It clearly calls it a credit against 2008 taxes.

MouseMadness

We are offering some $$ towards closing costs on our house. Want to move to NC? :lol:

5 bedrooms 3 baths? Minimum 3000 square feet? I might be all over that :ROFLOL:

Is there a pediatric hospital nearby? :lookaroun

Maybe the most important question of all... how much snow did you get this past winter? :hammer: :lol:

Edeyore

I'm using my rebate check to splurge big time and go ahead and get that doublewide stroller rental on my upcoming 6-day trip.

I know, I know, it's extravagent - and I do feel a little bit guilty - but Hey!, it's Disney World! Let's live a little!

:goodnevil

Okay, now you are just totally out of control! You don't need to stimulate the whole economy with one purchase. :lol:

LuvnTheMagic

We are using our check to satisfy my sons daily "Can we go to Disney World today please??" Although we live 8 hours away, he still thinks its a day trip....Cant wait till September!!

WildLodgeFan

I'm stimulating WDW's economy with mine! We upgraded to the WL. This is our first time at the WL and our first time at a Deluxe. I'm so exicted! 61 days to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:

And WL is so worth it in my opinion - it's absolutely my favorite deluxe resort. The theming is just awesome, of course, I am a Nature lover, so I guess that's why it appeals to me so much. :animwink:

We are using the stimulus payment to just pay our vacation off earlier. Since we already had plans for the trip and a payment plan plotted out for it, so that money will now find itself in the savings account.

fosse76

We don't qualify for the "stimulus," but our tax refund will more than pay for our August trip to WDW.

I wish I didn't qualify for the stimulus!:)

Actually, I would have received a nice regular tax refund myself, but my "fun" extra-money job had me go from a nice refund to oweing! Why oh why can't we claim the government as a dependant! I'm using my stimulus check at Disney as well, but I was always planning to go back at that time...so it (like the free dining) is just an added perk!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom