News Gotta Pay2Play: Paid FP on the way!

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Well, it is more than just rides. If it were just rides it would lose some appeal for me personally.

That said, it doesn't mean that they shouldn't be continually adding new attractions.

Disney has been only problem is the attractions are to benefit shareholders rather than the paying guest

DisneyCane

Since this program seems to prove that advanced booking across parks is technically possible, can we please have an AP "benefit" of at least being able to book our 3 passes at different parks. That way, even if it can't be tier 1 at different parks, I can use my 3rd option on something that at least requires a FP when planning to visit Epcot. Other than the tier 1 selection and MAYBE SSE, nothing at Epcot needs a FP.

APs can handle knowing the travel time between parks. Just make it minimum of 1 hr from end of window at 1 park until start of window at new park and pop up a warning when booking that you need to allow time to travel between parks and will not be allowed to use the FP after the window.

In the current form of the pilot program, it is not going to affect other guests much since the total number of people eligible to do it is pretty small. The issue will be if/when they open it up to "non-club" guests. There will be a significant number that buy it even though, depending on the park ticket, the add on will be close to doubling the price of the admission. If a significant number of people can book 3 more passes (including multiple tier 1), the people that don't buy this "benefit" will never be able to get a FP+ for anything decent.

At that point, as somebody else said, they might as well go to an electronic version of the ticket system. Charge much less for admission to cover maintenance and atmosphere and then just charge a fee for each ride that varies based on ride tier.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Well, it is more than just rides. If it were just rides it would lose some appeal for me personally.

That said, it doesn't mean that they shouldn't be continually adding new attractions.

I'd never claim that disney parks are of the ilk of a low themed six flags...

...but every management team - even in bad times - added attractions on about a once a year clip over their history until the Eisner proxy war and the first 10 years of bob.

Everyone. They knew better. The fact is that Disney parks will never detach themselves from the repeat customer. So this idea that "they'll just go for the high end or first timer..." that has been propagated since the housing bubble is fundamentally false. That means they are gonna have to invest the same. Doesn't matter whether they have 5 parks or 50 to manage. Iger has been doing nothing but play catch up in Orlando...and it's a hole he dug himself.

That's manifested in the fastpass/volume issues that are brought up daily...not just by us. I run into it with casual acquaintances and even on the street sometimes. The threat is real.

mikejs78

Premium Member
I'd never claim that disney parks are of the ilk of a low themed six flags...

...but every management team - even in bad times - added attractions on about a once a year clip over their history until the Eisner proxy war and the first 10 years of bob.

Everyone. They knew better. The fact is that Disney parks will never detach themselves from the repeat customer. So this idea that "they'll just go for the high end or first timer..." that has been propagated since the housing bubble is fundamentally false. That means they are gonna have to invest the same. Doesn't matter whether they have 5 parks or 50 to manage. Iger has been doing nothing but play catch up in Orlando...and it's a hole he dug himself.

That's manifested in the fastpass/volume issues that are brought up daily...not just by us. I run into it with casual acquaintances and even on the street sometimes. The threat is real.
We don't disagree here. And the other travesty of the past decade is that the general upkeep/maintenance of the general park atmosphere has suffered. Just look at the current state of Space Mountain and Tomorrowland.

I think TDO may realize their mistakes at this point, given the # of attractions slated and rumored to open in the next 5 years. Yes, it's catch up and it should have been done all along at a more steady state. Hopefully once this 5-year push is finished they'll do that. And it doesn't need to be an e-ticket every year either. Just something new every year, and maybe something big (new land, e-ticket) in each park every 5 years or so...

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
We don't disagree here. And the other travesty of the past decade is that the general upkeep/maintenance of the general park atmosphere has suffered. Just look at the current state of Space Mountain and Tomorrowland.

I think TDO may realize their mistakes at this point, given the # of attractions slated and rumored to open in the next 5 years. Yes, it's catch up and it should have been done all along at a more steady state. Hopefully once this 5-year push is finished they'll do that. And it doesn't need to be an e-ticket every year either. Just something new every year, and maybe something big (new land, e-ticket) in each park every 5 years or so...

The announced slate is 100% because of the collapse of their primary profit center in espn. It was free money for 20 years and now it's being mined out.

But for us - the ends justifies the means.

The problem is all that's being built, when done, will get the 4 parks to maybe where they should have been 2010-2015 or so...

So do they keep building into 2028? That...is the question.

Last edited:

kong1802

What gets me on "experience upgrades" like this is the perception I get that I have to pay more to experience anything new.

Already paying more to get in the gates, and now if I want to ride anything new, I need to pay $250/night to cram into a mod and preschedule my visit 60+ days out, because they've convinced the matching shirt crowd that its the way to go.

It's just my perception of it, but every time I hear something new is coming, my first reaction is, how much more is this going to cost me?

Because I know my $800 AP isn't going to get me on.....

chelle_belle00

All of the participating resorts are Vacation Club resorts. Why aren't OKW or Saratoga on the list? Those are the two resorts we tend to stay at, and we've been DVC members since 2002. They aren't exactly cheap, now that dues have gone up!

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
All of the participating resorts are Vacation Club resorts. Why aren't OKW or Saratoga on the list? Those are the two resorts we tend to stay at, and we've been DVC members since 2002. They aren't exactly cheap, now that dues have gone up!

The rooms being included in this... experiment... are only Club level rooms. I haven't seen anything posted (or at least that I recall) about if DVC members using points on a Club level room would be eligible for this.

Boster24

WDW's out of their stinkin' minds.

Concierge guests are ALREADY PAYING ~$200 more per day to stay in a resort... why on earth would they charge them for the 3 additional FPs???
Just continue to chase us away, the more they sell the less fast passes available for everyone else. Just more about money than customer experience, Happy I was able to enjoy when it was fun, You now need time off to recover from a Disney visit. Next .25 to use the bathroom

seabreezept813

I'm not so sure. I don't see this with my son (age 7) and his friends. They've grown up in Pixar, new the good post-2009 Disney movies, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse etc, and Disney world is still seen as this awesome amazing trip. The difference is that when I was a kid, we went every couple of years, now families are going more like every 3-4 years because of the cost.

As far as millennials (which I am not one) it honestly depends on the age. The older millennials are now at the point in their careers where they have more disposal income and are contemplating trips. These older millennials were young kids during the 90s with the whole Disney Renaissance, so there I'd huge nostalgia factor there. There will probably be a gap in nostalgia for kids who grew up in the early 2000s as Disney really wasn't producing good content... But I don't think Disney nostalgia is done quite yet...

This makes sense.. I’m 29 and my last trip was 2014 and we are hoping to go summer of 19. It would have been this summer but I’m having a baby in April. We love Disney but did Brazil and Fort Lauderdale in between. We also take vacations responsibly. Vaca money is extra like spending money that gets added up over a few years to afford it. Sure I could contribute less to my savings or retirement and go more frequently, but we take financial responsibility more seriously. I think Disney relies too heavily on people who will spend for vacation even when they don’t have it. And I’d say that we are true Dis fans, with some of our best memories at the world. If Disney continues to become more elite, we will continue to go less because realistically other things should be more important.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Just continue to chase us away, the more they sell the less fast passes available for everyone else. Just more about money than customer experience, Happy I was able to enjoy when it was fun, You now need time off to recover from a Disney visit. Next .25 to use the bathroom

Disney has been asking for premium prices for premium stuff for decades and decades. So, how come we don't already have to pay to use the restroom?

Randyland

From the start of Fast Pass, I knew it was the end of Walt Disney World as everyone knew and loved it. The concept of having 2 lines to anything, is a means to dish out special access to those who are getting special favor, at the expense of all the others. The concept which made Walt Disney World so great was that everyone was a "GUEST".... It seems that some Guests are better then other Guests now. There is simply something wrong with creating "Special Viewing Areas" for some, while others are kept out... It is nothing more then segregation based upon money, rather then the color of your skin, or religious beliefs... It is impossible to believe that Disney Decision Makers are unaware of the imminent backlash of public opinion based upon programs where favoritism is given to some, at the cost paid by the others who now receive less access.... I can only believe that Disney sees the future as very uncertain, and they simply are trying to grab all that they can while they can get it, discounting the future harm it will do to their Image or Brand Loyalty.

jakeman

From the start of Fast Pass, I knew it was the end of Walt Disney World as everyone knew and loved it. The concept of having 2 lines to anything, is a means to dish out special access to those who are getting special favor, at the expense of all the others. The concept which made Walt Disney World so great was that everyone was a "GUEST".... It seems that some Guests are better then other Guests now. There is simply something wrong with creating "Special Viewing Areas" for some, while others are kept out... It is nothing more then segregation based upon money, rather then the color of your skin, or religious beliefs... It is impossible to believe that Disney Decision Makers are unaware of the imminent backlash of public opinion based upon programs where favoritism is given to some, at the cost paid by the others who now receive less access.... I can only believe that Disney sees the future as very uncertain, and they simply are trying to grab all that they can while they can get it, discounting the future harm it will do to their Image or Brand Loyalty.
Yep. Segregation.

Agree 100%. This is totally segregation.

Being able to purchase 3 extra FastPasses is exactly like Plessy v. Ferguson and look how damaging that turned out.

This is the complete equivalent to being discriminated against because of race or religion. EXACTLY THE SAME. NO DIFFERENCE AT ALL.

Three extra Fastpasses = Jim Crow Laws.

Give me a break. :rolleyes:

mikejs78

Premium Member
It seems that some Guests are better then other Guests now. There is simply something wrong with creating "Special Viewing Areas" for some, while others are kept out...

Boy, that Club 33 is just another example of modern Disney and that greedy Bob Iger trying to create a special experience that those with money can afford while keeping the rest of us out....

Oh wait, Iger didn't start Club 33? Walt Disney did? Oh.....

nickys

Premium Member
So now the details are known, I thought I'd summarise what those who have already booked have said.

You must be staying CL, or at Poly bungalows or CC cabins to qualify (includes some of the superior suites at Swan & Dolphin)

DVC CL rooms at AKL do qualify, so do points stays at Poly bungalows and CC cabins.

You must purchase for a minimum of 3 days of the "extras", although these need not be consecutive, and need not apply to everyone in a room.

The FPs and night time reservation must be booked on the phone when booking the package. They can only be changed by a call to Signature Services (? the CL dept I assume). On the day they have been told the CL concierge will be able to change them.

Extra FPs (EFP) cannot overlap with each other or normal FPs. They appear separately on MDE without the modify buttons etc. No tier or park restrictions (park hopping need a park hopper ticket obviously). All are "subject to availability", whatever that might mean (- presumably to limit impact, so 100 EFPs will not be permitted for FoP @7pm). No repeat EFPs, and it is assumed cannot be the same as normal FPs.

Can only book within 90 days of check-out date.

Normal FPs can be managed as usual.

No tax on the $50 apparently.

Nighttime shows are HEA, Illuminations, Fantasmic, ROL. Special served viewing areas apply.

I'll edit if I've missed anything or see anything new.

Feel free to continue "debating"!

EDIT to add :

If you cancel the CL reservation, the EFPs will be cancelled and you will receive a refund.

EDIT to add this, as of 1/18

For the days they have booked their extra FPs, people have reported being allowed to book their normal FPs at the same time, so up to 90 days out. They are not modifiable yet, but all are still over 60 days out. They have to specify which are FPs and which are EFPs.

EDIT to add, as of 1/24

The first people to reach their normal 60 day window have reported they can now modify their normal FPs to repeat a ride they have an extra FP for. But they cannot overlap the times, the usual hour timeframe still holds.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom