News Gotta Pay2Play: Paid FP on the way!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You can use all 3 in the same sentence.

Added benefit of being in the Magic Kingdom is the ability to eat at (insert restaurant here).

Additional fee., only made possible if you have admission to begin with.

Added benefit of being in Hollywood Studios on a day that JBJB is showing, is the ability to purchase a dessert party for the show.

Rinse, repeat. Upsells, fees, benefit.

Boy...I'll give it to you...but you're REALLY stretching it...

I think you just said that paying $100 or more a day grants me the "benefit" of being able to be massively overcharged at the horrendous magic kingdom restaurants?

...youre persistent...definitely :)

jimbaker84

I haven’t seen any “pros” listed by most. More of the same- Omg poor undeserving people are going to mindlessly pay $200 more per night AND now pay $50 for fast passes!
Either out of ignorance, or to brag on social media.
And.,
Omg Disney is going to turn FPs into a full monetary option!!

Chances are, the people who will choose this- aren’t going to do so for either of those reasons.
Chances are also extremely slim that Disney will ever fully monitize the FP system.
Chances are great that these reactions are more of the same over-reactions to every decision that Disney makes.

I would agree that it is unlikely Disney could completely monetize FP+ as the system simply isn't that good. I've had plenty of instances where attractions that i have used FP+ have still resulted in wait times of over 30 minutes and that simply isn't a service worth paying for. This could obviously change if monetizing the service cuts the numbers using it significantly. As it currently stands, the system is OK as long as it is bundled with park admission because what else do you expect for 'free'.

I suspect that the bulk of the reaction here is because WDW are attempting to cash in on their own lack of investment in attractions which has lead to overblown wait times throughout the parks. I am hopeful that WDW has learned it's lesson and that the current phase of improvements is the first of many in the years to come. Time will tell.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I would agree that it is unlikely Disney could completely monetize FP+ as the system simply isn't that good. I've had plenty of instances where attractions that i have used FP+ have still resulted in wait times of over 30 minutes and that simply isn't a service worth paying for. This could obviously change if monetizing the service cuts the numbers using it significantly. As it currently stands, the system is OK as long as it is bundled with park admission because what else do you expect for 'free'.

I suspect that the bulk of the reaction here is because WDW are attempting to cash in on their own lack of investment in attractions which has lead to overblown wait times throughout the parks. I am hopeful that WDW has learned it's lesson and that the current phase of improvements is the first of many in the years to come. Time will tell.

Can't agree more...

The problem with "fastpass+" - and I screamed it at the time - is that they fell behind their volume on attractions necessary. You can't add 3 rides in 4 parks over like 9 years (what they did) and even pretend that you've got enough...

No amusement park (I don't need the "it's more than rides"...if that worked, then why are they planning or construction like 12 rides?) can even dare to stagnate like that without longterm problems...

Every time you go to book fastpass and you can't even find 3 in Epcot or MGM worth reserving, doesn't it grate the hell out of you?

...it's probably just me, right?

kong1802

Can't agree more...

The problem with "fastpass+" - and I screamed it at the time - is that they fell behind their volume on attractions necessary. You can't add 3 rides in 4 parks over like 9 years (what they did) and even pretend that you've got enough...

No amusement park (I don't need the "it's more than rides"...if that worked, then why are they planning or construction like 12 rides?) can even dare to stagnate like that without longterm problems...

Every time you go to book fastpass and you can't even find 3 in Epcot or MGM worth reserving, doesn't it grate the hell out of you?

...it's probably just me, right?

I won't even make the trip if I can't reserve Philharmagic between 2-3.

21stamps

It’s hopeless. Here’s what it boils down to, Every time Disney offers a new paid option, the same wordtracks will follow.
The demise of the average guest experience.
Disney in danger of losing popularity.
Walt wouldn’t have wanted this.
Etc etc etc.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
It’s hopeless. Here’s what it boils down to, Every time Disney offers a new paid option, the same wordtracks will follow.
The demise of the average guest experience.
Disney in danger of losing popularity.
Walt wouldn’t have wanted this.
Etc etc etc.
I think you have made your points in this thread. Please don't continue a back and forth over the same points. Thanks.

21stamps

I think you have made your points in this thread. Please don't continue a back and forth over the same points. Thanks.

Oh don’t worry, that’s why I said it’s hopeless. Subjects such as this could be an endless debate.. without either viewpoint ever budging towards agreement with the other. That post was my white flag.lol

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
But "guests wanted it", right?

Be careful.
Well said. The "guests wanted it" ideology is dangerous because it seems the executives (and pixie dusters) can (and will) slap that phrase on any idea they want and disregard any other ancillary factors. Guests "want" a Frozen attraction, so lets jam it into the completely wrong park and just re-skin Maelstrom. Same for GoTG coaster. Same for the Cabanas in Tomorrowland.

And dont get me wrong, I am not saying that the "guests want it" is the only reason these decisions were made. It is just a phrase they can toss out for lack of a true justification.

kong1802

Well said. The "guests wanted it" ideology is dangerous because it seems the executives (and pixie dusters) can (and will) slap that phrase on any idea they want and disregard any other ancillary factors. Guests "want" a Frozen attraction, so lets jam it into the completely wrong park and just re-skin Maelstrom. Same for GoTG coaster. Same for the Cabanas in Tomorrowland.

And dont get me wrong, I am not saying that the "guests want it" is the only reason these decisions were made. It is just a phrase they can toss out for lack of a true justification.

Just like "guests want" clean rooms vs towel animals.

And "guests want" less housekeeping overall.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Here's a 100% guaranteed, rule to live by:

When they put out a press release from TDO...and quote a fresh out of UF or UCF "business major" that fits key demographics citing "guest demand"...

They are 101% lying to you. Every single time. Book it.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Just to further clarify, per the OP, if it is indeed true - there is a 3-day minimum as well.

At the risk of me being pedantic, which isn't much of a risk as it is a guarantee...

I believe, if I read the official notice from Disney correctly, that the 3-day minimum applies to having a 3-day ticket, or, an AP. It's doesn't mean you have to have a 3-day stay at a club level room. If you have one or the other, and you're staying at a club level room for any number of days, then you have access to purchasing the 3 90-day FP++s.

21stamps

Because social media allows people to portray a lifestyle that is more "magical" than the actual reality they live in.

This I agree with... to an extent. The “The sky is blue today! I love my perfect life!” folks on social media are amusing, and definitely exist. But people taking vacations and creating life experiences, then posting vacation/experience photos, I think the majority are just sharing, not trying to paint their life as something it’s not.
I even joined Snapchat just so I could follow along with friends on their Disney Trip.lol. I enjoy seeing other people’s photos. I’ve never thought “Oh, so and so did x,y,or z to show off.”

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
So... what happens when something like this comes to fruition?

Former-Value resorts - You get to pre-book 2 FP per day, up to 60 days in advance!!
Former-Moderate resorts & Good Neighbor hotels - You get to pre-book 3 FP per day, up to 90 days in advance!!!
Former-Deluxe resorts - You get to pre-book 4 FP per day, up to 120 days in advance!!!! Plus you can spend just a little bit more (Only $99/day, with a 3 day minimum) and you can pre-book an EXTRA 3 FP per day!!!
Off-site guests, AP's, DVC, et al. - Well, you get whatever is left over. OR!!!! You can pay $50 per day, up to 30 days in advance, and book 3 FP!!!

larandtra

So... what happens when something like this comes to fruition?

Former-Value resorts - You get to pre-book 2 FP per day, up to 60 days in advance!!
Former-Moderate resorts & Good Neighbor hotels - You get to pre-book 3 FP per day, up to 90 days in advance!!!
Former-Deluxe resorts - You get to pre-book 4 FP per day, up to 120 days in advance!!!! Plus you can spend just a little bit more (Only $99/day, with a 3 day minimum) and you can pre-book an EXTRA 3 FP per day!!!
Off-site guests, AP's, DVC, et al. - Well, you get whatever is left over. OR!!!! You can pay $50 per day, up to 30 days in advance, and book 3 FP!!!
Something like that is exactly what I think is going to happen, but, I would lean more to this:
Good Neighbor, Off Site, and Value: as it is right now, No option to buy extra FPs
Moderate: As it is, PLUS the option to purchase the 3 extra FP at a cost 90 Day Window
Deluxe Club level or Non Club Level: As it is PLUS the option to purchase the 3 extra FP in a 120/Day Window Added benefit of not having Tier options to deal with. Can be made for ANY attraction regardless of basic Tier levels.
AP Holders- No special perks unless you stay on property and choose one of the on property options.
DVC Members- Will fall under the Deluxe Purchase Option

They wont do away with the 3 FPs every guest already gets. But, they will find an incentive for people to stay on property at Moderate or Deluxe resorts.

AEfx

At the risk of me being pedantic, which isn't much of a risk as it is a guarantee...

I believe, if I read the official notice from Disney correctly, that the 3-day minimum applies to having a 3-day ticket, or, an AP. It's doesn't mean you have to have a 3-day stay at a club level room. If you have one or the other, and you're staying at a club level room for any number of days, then you have access to purchasing the 3 90-day FP++s.

Is there an official notice? I've just seen the stuff from the OP, which says "The service will require a 3 day minimum".

I am reading it as you have to purchase this service for a minimum of 3-days - so again, the "it only costs $50" thing is a bit of a misnomer.

Dad 2 M & M

We have APs and I don't see where it says the 3 extra FPs are sold in 3 day minimums.....

Two quick comments:
1) The price is too high, but I have NO issue whatsoever with the thought of buying more FPs...might even consider buying
2) We would NEVER stay in any of the listed participating resorts

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom