Goodbye Poly?

sweetpee_1993

They ain't touchin' the Poly Main building/Lobby.:mad::mad::mad:
I will chain myself to the railing upstairs b4 they do anything in there. :)

I will join you, Clamman :(

I applaud your willingness to stand up for what you believe in....

....however, are y'all familiar with just how well the Toad-In worked out? Didn't do a thing. Nice sentiment, tho. :wave:

I will join the protest too, as soon as I've unchained myself from Toad. :lookaroun

:lol:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I was one of those debunking the rumor when it came out a while ago. Mostly because I knew that there was not an asbestos problem in the longhouses and there was not a huge need for them to come down. I have known for a while that the GCH has been having problems that they have been putting expensive patches to fix and they are tired of throwing money away on just patching it. Then last year they were talking about how they were going to close the GCH and still function. Where would they put check in and how would they offer food services. They seem to have a plan but it did not seem like it was going to be a great situation. I also started hearing something big was going to happen.

I have to agree that if they are not going to add a significant amount of rooms than there is no immediate need to redo the whole resort but from what I hear there is no feasible way for them to add DVC in the current layout of the resort and it seems that they are set on doing this.
Two things are a fact. The resort is around the cycle of time that it usually gets a redesign in the rooms. Also the resort has problems with many areas, pool, GCH, longhouses with electrical and flooding problems, so it seems at some point they will have to start from scratch to really address these things. Obviously gutting the rooms in 2002 did not fix all these things and the flooding problem with some of the ground floor rooms will not go away until the buildings themselves are redone from the foundation up or some new drainage system is put in.

I honestly can see it going two different ways and whatever way it goes seems that they will start this in 2013. It will either be the same old redesign of the rooms and clean up of the resort or they are going to start over but from all that I heard I think there is 0 chance that nothing is going to happen.
Like you said, the resort has several issues that can only truly be fixed by starting from scratch. I would like to see them do just that. I love the decor of the place, but there is really nothing all that special about the architecture. When I look at pictures of what was built at Alunai, the potential of what could be done on a clear lot at the Poly's site is quite intriguing.

menamechris

Unfortunately, you can't wait until the resort fails to consider its future. Readers are already bad mouthing it with the look and smell of a motor lodge. How bad do you want the Poly's name to get besmirched before you do something? Always fix something before it's generally realized that it needs fixing. Keep the good will.

So...I see you are not only new to the website, but also new to the Disney community. :wave: This is not the way that Disney runs their business...ever. You run things into the ground until they cease to make a profit. And the people who are complaining about the Poly right now - maybe - just don't like the resort?

tikiman

Like you said, the resort has several issues that can only truly be fixed by starting from scratch. I would like to see them do just that. I love the decor of the place, but there is really nothing all that special about the architecture. When I look at pictures of what was built at Alunai, the potential of what could be done on a clear lot at the Poly's site is quite intriguing.

Aulani is an amazing resort and they did a great job on all the details. The rooms were smaller than the Polynesian's but they felt bigger than the AKL. The resort reminded me alot of the AKL with the large open lobby and the look and feel of the place. I don't think they need to build that large of buildings at the Polynesian but I can see them doing something similar and I think it would be the best Deluxe on property. Not that I want to see the old Polyensian go away. Think of everything I will have to replace on my web page if they redo everything. :eek:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Aulani is an amazing resort and they did a great job on all the details. The rooms were smaller than the Polynesian's but they felt bigger than the AKL. The resort reminded me alot of the AKL with the large open lobby and the look and feel of the place. I don't think they need to build that large of buildings at the Polynesian but I can see them doing something similar and I think it would be the best Deluxe on property. Not that I want to see the old Polyensian go away. Think of everything I will have to replace on my web page if they redo everything. :eek:
Look at the bright side. If they level the Poly you will already have the best Poly tribute site ready to go on day one.:lol:

Jane Doe

I can't believe the OP didn't go for "Poly Gone?" as a thread title. There are rumours of Circle Soleil closing to make way for a Rapunzel-based attraction. I can't see that going down well and I don't think it would be long before someone took it upon themselves to wreck Tangled just out of spite.

NoChesterHester

I can't believe the OP didn't go for "Poly Gone?" as a thread title. There are rumours of Circle Soleil closing to make way for a Rapunzel-based attraction. I can't see that going down well and I don't think it would be long before someone took it upon themselves to wreck Tangled just out of spite.

What does Cirque have to do with the Poly discussion?

Mickey2minnie1

We fell in love with Poly on our first of 4 stays there back in 07. (Thanks, Tikiman for the website of the Tikigods!) While we have loved each and every stay there, I agree that a redo or remake would benefit Disney and the Poly lovers in all of us.

Time will tell.:)

I can't say I'm thrilled with the idea (especially if it has to do with DVC) because I love the Poly the way it is now. However, change is necessary in life so I will keep an open mind. I took a look at Aulani and I could see them putting up something similar. I just hope they keep the lush landscaping in some original form, they keep Kona and Ohana and it is not an excuse for them to raise the already hefty pricetag if a nights stay.

NX2I85

I would have to say the Poly is my favorite resort we have stayed at (and we have stayed at a bunch). For all the people comparing it to a 70's era roadside dive, that's just silly. Also, for those who think it smells bad... stay away.

It sure could use some TLC, and maybe a grand redo on the scale being rumored. But the theme and execution of the Poly is a huge winner with a great number of folks and I can't see Disney discarding that.

biggy H

Of course they could be building at GF so that they have room capacity so they can knock down and rebuild the Poly a building at a time..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom