Goodbye Poly?

sweetpee_1993

Based on all the additional weight that would result from "building up," I wonder if the area could stand it. I know that there are other places around the water where they laid steel pilings only to have them sink. I'm guessing that wouldn't be an issue with the Poly as the weight is currently distributed, but what if there was suddenly a lot more tonnage?

Not 100% sure on the possibility of driving piers/pilings that could support a larger structure in the soft soil. I'm sure my FiL and husband could better answer that since that's stuff they deal with all the time. I do believe it's possible nowadays. Not sure of what was used back in the late 60s and early 70s. Building practices and technologies evolve like everything does and new possibilities are forever being created as a result. Do I think it's possible now? Yes. I'm pretty sure I've seen or heard about friction piles that make just this sort of thing possible when once it was not. The exact particulars I'll leave for the experts and those who are interested enough to Google. I think "friction piles" or "pyles" would be the key words to start with. :wave: How would I know? I actually listened and asked stupid girl questions when taking meeting minutes in big engineering project meetings. Same way I can tell you all about the floating roofs on large oil storage tanks....or that a PIG launcher and PIG receiver has absolutely nothing to do with hoofstock.... :hammer:

I can't imagine that the Poly is going anywhere Isn't one of the most popular resorts on property?

While I'm a diehard YC/BC person, I've always liked the Poly. It's probably my second favorite Disney resort so I can't say I would be happy if they tore part or all of it down to build yet another monstrosity around the lake. For me it's all the about the tropical atmosphere and nostalgia aspect of the resort, not the rooms or the food, which I don't care for. I feel like I have been transported to somewhere far away when I am there, being totally immersed in the environment. And I don't feel like I'm at a tacky 70's tropical motel that smells :shrug:

Just had to say, hubby & I are recent converts. All we can think about from our trip last month is how much we yearn to get back on a Disney cruise and sit by Stormalong Bay with a drink in-hand. :cry:

I totally feel the rest of what you're saying about the Poly in general. It is a special place especially with the nostalgia. The problem is Disney can't bank forever on the nostalgic fans like us because there comes a day when we're gone and the generations behind us are left holding the torch. If even we prefer other rooms on-property to the Poly's how does that spell for first-timers? Disney is trying to get repeat visitors. Dare I say that the current rooms and the crowded GCH won't lure first-timers back so well? It's just stuff to think on. I see the need to start again but I know I'll also miss what was. It's a double-edged sword for a lot of us. I guess we'll all have each other and our pictures to "remember when" if this does come to fruition. Right?

Slowjack

It think it's largely a question of taste and preference:

To some people the idea of a pacific island is the essence of what a vacation is all about - tropics, palm trees, that laid back islander vibe. It also has some unique dining opportunities, has lovely grounds, and is ideally situated on the lagoon to look directly across to the Magic Kingdom and is not just on the monorail but also adjacent to the TTC.

To others it's just a kitschy, supremely tacky stereotype of the pacific islands, hopelessly trapped in the 70's ideal of a tropical vacation - like that Hawaii sequence of "Brady Bunch" episodes come to life. The GCH smells, the dining sucks, the rooms are dark, and the whole place is annoyingly spread out.
I think you'll have to put me down for category A. But here's the thing...obviously tastes differ, and I won't fault someone for not liking a hotel, but it seems to me that someone who doesn't like sanitized, stylized, and perhaps even stereotypical versions of culture is going to have problems with most of WDW.

crxbrett

I have to say if the Poly were gone it would be a devastating loss for me personally. I have been to WDW 8 times since '89 and planning my 9th trip for next summer. Every single vacation was spent at the Poly. I love the resort, so much that one time the hotel was overbooked and Disney offered to upgrade me for free to the GF - I turned the offer down.

I love the lush landscaping; the dark, wood with tribal tikis; the tiki torches and tropical ambience and the sprawling property. Part of why I love the hotel is because it requires a lot of walking and is so spread out. I love being active and the hotel definitely fits in with that lifestyle. I also love all the walkways that go everywhere. One of my favorite things to do while staying there is just stroll around in the early, pre-dawn hours and enjoy the quiet and serenity. Walking along the beach at night and around Sunset Point is also so relaxing. I also love listening to the sounds on the beach from the ferries, the train whistle, the parades and even the howls from the HM (you used to be able to, not sure anymore). Call me crazy, but I even love the smell of the GCH. The view of the lagoon and MK and surrounding locales from the rooms is also plain awesome.

I could go on for paragraphs about what I love about it. For me, the Polynesian is part of the whole WDW experience for me. I don't think it would be quite the same without it. I really hope these are just rumors.

OldAndBusted

It may be years off, but I really have the gut feeling that WDW will see a clone of Aulani from Hawai'i. Certainly not on the same scale, but I would not be surprised to see an Aulani-type tower with maybe some of the longhouses remaining as upscale DVC suites. With the prime location there, it seems the room per land used ratio is too disparate for Disney to not add more premium (read expensive) rooms on that desirable land.

I certainly hope not. Aulani is far too large and imposing. I do not want to see another huge skyscraper at WDW. I like the remote intimate feel of the current Poly. If rebuilt, I hope they go for the same type of low warm buildings buried in the palms. If you see large expanses of concrete, they've failed.

DisneyJunkie

The Poly is still one of the top tier resorts in all WDW.....definitely deluxe and definitely one of the best. GF has never held any interest to me, and Contemp has always been too pricey (at least for the kind of room I'd want), so of all the monorail resorts, we've always loved the Poly (getting to stay in the same room each time has been nice too). I'd hate for it to be completely revamped, but a lot of updating may end up being a good thing. My only fear is that it would greatly jack up the costs of staying there.

Daannzzz

I think even if they do a major change in structures they will not be getting rid of the theme. There will still be lush landscaping, tiki's, gotto pool and all the things we love about it. I would hate to see a tower built but I wouldn't mind a couple more stories. I was excited about Aulani but am very disappointed in the towers. They look like a big normal hotel with some Themeing on the top. The grounds look beautiful though. I would expect a "New Polynesian" resort to have just as beautiful of grounds but worry about some plain looking architecture.

mickey2008.1

We love the Poly atmosphere and layout, and size of rooms plus views. But it does need some help. It just seems a little too dark in the rooms and buildings. The steps at the longhouses are coated with garage paint that looks tacky. The GCH needs alot of help. Have yoou been in the bathrooms there, aweful. Some better maintenace of the buildings, paint wise, and new GCH would go a long way. I also agree that they need a hot tub. It just needs to be freshened up, some brighter colors, that' what Hawaii is! Bright.

Victor Kelly

My wife and I feel that the Poly is one of the most beautiful resorts that Disney has. The lush landscaping, the atmosphere, and architecture all make it a beautiful place. If they have to tear it all down and rebuild with the same general architecture then I am ok with it. But I would want Ohana in it with the great food it is known for.

RSoxNo1

I have never stayed at the Polynesian, but I have visited it on every single trip I've made in my life because I love both Kona Cafe and 'Ohana.

They can change it however they like provided those two locations keep the same or similar offerings.

MichaelinTN

I hate to hear all this negativity towards Poly. My wife stayed there several times as a kid and next year we are planning on staying there with our daughters. It will be my first time staying there but am very excited.

docnabox

I certainly hope not. Aulani is far too large and imposing. I do not want to see another huge skyscraper at WDW. I like the remote intimate feel of the current Poly. If rebuilt, I hope they go for the same type of low warm buildings buried in the palms. If you see large expanses of concrete, they've failed.

Count me in as one that likes the Poly as it is now. It is my resort of choice, the location, theme and landscaping are superb and it does not stink. :lookaroun

In terms of rebuilding though, if that ever truly comes to pass, the skyscraper design would be awful, I agree. The old concept art looks just that...old. I am sure they would redisgn it to make it a more current concept but I still don't like the idea.

Maybe, instead of building one gigantic tower, they might consider revising the longhouse concept. The current buildings are 2 or three stories I believe. Maybe by making them 5 stories that would add the desired level of capacity but yet still maintain the longhouse design.

As Tikiman mentioned (I think it was him,) by filling in the marina and/or some of the lagoon, they could build additional longhouses.

The GCH does need a redo though. I think it could be reconceptualized to make it much more grand and have a much better flow than it currently does.

And, if space is an issue, doesn't Tangaroa Terrace go largely unused most of the time? I know it was used during the redsign of Captain Cooks and maybe for special events but it could be better utilized. That seems like a spot you could put a gym facility or spa.

The Empress Lilly

It think it's largely a question of taste and preference:

To some people the idea of a pacific island is the essence of what a vacation is all about - tropics, palm trees, that laid back islander vibe. It also has some unique dining opportunities, has lovely grounds, and is ideally situated on the lagoon to look directly across to the Magic Kingdom and is not just on the monorail but also adjacent to the TTC.

To others it's just a kitschy, supremely tacky stereotype of the pacific islands, hopelessly trapped in the 70's ideal of a tropical vacation
To me Poly's attraction is both of the above. :D

menamechris

From a business standpoint - this would make little to no sense for Disney to pursue. Remodeling? Yes. A rebuild? No.

Given that the Polynesian books amazingly well, at top tier prices - that alone is enough for Disney not to mess with it. On top of that - there would be little to no payback. Even a brand new "Aulani" style resort in its place could only charge slightly more than the Poly is currently charging - so where would the monetary value be in rebuilding? Perhaps we can discuss this again when it is having trouble attracting guests to stay there. But as of now, it is one of the - if not THE - most popular resort on Disney property. So much so - it is one of the only resorts that still has resort-specific merchandise. So...no, it makes a great rumor - but is just that...

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
From a business standpoint - this would make little to no sense for Disney to pursue. Remodeling? Yes. A rebuild? No.

Given that the Polynesian books amazingly well, at top tier prices - that alone is enough for Disney not to mess with it. On top of that - there would be little to no payback. Even a brand new "Aulani" style resort in its place could only charge slightly more than the Poly is currently charging - so where would the monetary value be in rebuilding? Perhaps we can discuss this again when it is having trouble attracting guests to stay there. But as of now, it is one of the - if not THE - most popular resort on Disney property. So much so - it is one of the only resorts that still has resort-specific merchandise. So...no, it makes a great rumor - but is just that...
About the only thing that makes sense from a numbers standpoint to a complete demo and rebuild is if they can increase the capacity of the resort and get a hefty influx of DVC cash up front. Like you said, the place books solid all year round. I doubt that would change if they made the place a mini Aluani. They could also start selling the DVC portion before demo and have a good chunk of the construction cost paid for before the first bulldozer showed up.

Clamman73

They ain't touchin' the Poly Main building/Lobby.:mad::mad::mad:
I will chain myself to the railing upstairs b4 they do anything in there. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom