Goodbye Poachers?

drew81

Original Poster
Take it with a grain of salt-

There are rumors that the entire "poachers" storyline could go away at Kilimanjaro Safaris. As a result the poacher area at the end of the safari would be made into a new animal habitat.

jakeman

Interesting.

That would be a pretty serious investment as that section of the attraction is wedged pretty tightly between guest areas and the train.

They could probably kill the geysers and extend the savannah through that area, but I think logistically anything past the poacher's camp is probably off limits to any animal of significance due to it's proximity to what I mentioned above.

Also, there is a good chunk of infrastructure to tear up (geysers, jeep track, possibly waterfalls) and nowhere to reroute the safari trucks, which means a full ride closure.

While the storyline is improved from a flow perspective, I would imagine people still don't really care that much about it.

jakeman

Giving them their own enclosure would make sense. Especially since they like to trample other baby animals.

Looking at the maps from a slightly different angle, a small area looks like it could be clear fairly easily north of the geysers fairly easy.

Again though, it would look like a savannah extension rather than a "new" habitat would be more logistically feasible.

I think they could put in a habitat, but I doubt there is any room to build ancillary animal care support structures in that area.

lebeau

Oh please let this be true!

:sohappy:

The poachers really impact the ride's re-rideability for me. I just can't stand having that storyline crammed down my throat every time. The animals are the attraction. The fake drama isn't needed.

IWant2GoNow

As much as I enjoyed the educational aspects of teaching kids that poachers are bad guys, I will never EVER miss another ho-hum CM saying "Do you want to help the warden stop the poachers?". Some CMs got into it really well, but I'd say it was about 50/50 which type you were going to get.

At least if they keep the poacher storyline out the CMs could still make mention that "Poachers are known to hunt these poor rhinos down for their horns" so that they could still educate the youngins.

I think it will also improve the safari by being able to take more of the attraction in. As I've said before, rushing off to chase poachers really ruined being able to enjoy some of the exhibits.

As for the geysers and things towards the end, I think they could leave most of that there and just replace the truck scene with Little Red into something else.

All in all... I approve. But what does that matter? :lol:

Buckeye

Although the prevailing thought is that it's god to go, it makes me a little sad. When my son was very young (4-5) I saw his compassionate nature via this story line. He showed real concern about Little Red and Red's mom. He was paying close attention to the radio chatter and followed what they were saying when I thought he'd just be looking at the neat animals. He expressed his concern and kept asking if I thought they'd find the elephants. I told him the people on the reserve were experts and they would be fine. He was so happy when the report came in that they were OK and then seeing Little Red made him smile. It made me smile to because it showed how caring my son is and it also reminded me of the Disney magic that is created there and why we love it. My son really believed we were on an African safari, not in Orlando! I think back on that every time we ride the safari and listen to to radio banter. I, for one, will miss it.

MaxsDad

Actually, I enjoyed the ORIGINAL storyline, complete with gunfire, a speeding jeep, and a live CM. I only experienced it a couple of times though.

However, regarding the heavily diluted version we have today: I think I would just as well see it go as have it continue in that state. If you're going to do it, do it well, and full out. Don't do it half way. "Try? Try not. Do or do not. There is no try!"

Thrill Seeker

This is a double edged sword. On one hand, more animals is always good, but on the other, that section is one of the most exciting parts of the ride. I personally don't want the ride to become boring without it, but I agree that the storyline is a bit forced. Hopefully Imagineering will come up with something good.

bgraham34

Actually, I enjoyed the ORIGINAL storyline, complete with gunfire, a speeding jeep, and a live CM. I only experienced it a couple of times though.

However, regarding the heavily diluted version we have today: I think I would just as well see it go as have it continue in that state. If you're going to do it, do it well, and full out. Don't do it half way. "Try? Try not. Do or do not. There is no try!"

I couldn't agree with you more.

Tinkerbell 8

This is very exciting news! I LOVE KS, but i hated the story line. I would much prefer a relaxing ride through the safari to see all the animals then a sudden chase at the end. This will make the ride more enjoyable to ride multiple times a trip/day.

lazyboy97o

Although the prevailing thought is that it's god to go, it makes me a little sad. When my son was very young (4-5) I saw his compassionate nature via this story line. He showed real concern about Little Red and Red's mom. He was paying close attention to the radio chatter and followed what they were saying when I thought he'd just be looking at the neat animals. He expressed his concern and kept asking if I thought they'd find the elephants. I told him the people on the reserve were experts and they would be fine. He was so happy when the report came in that they were OK and then seeing Little Red made him smile. It made me smile to because it showed how caring my son is and it also reminded me of the Disney magic that is created there and why we love it. My son really believed we were on an African safari, not in Orlando! I think back on that every time we ride the safari and listen to to radio banter. I, for one, will miss it.
While I do think it is a bit lame, I have talked to several Cast Members who all have told me that the story actually hits hard with a lot of people and really does make an emotional impact that gets them thinking.

There is just a par tof me that questions the motives. With all the watering down to the story of the past few years, I see it more as just a watering down of the park and attraction and not a genuine attempt to improve the attraction.

The original storyline, which i believe was dropped between Cast Member previews and the Grand Opening also included the visible corpse of Big Red.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom