Good Bye & Good Riddance To 20K

Expo_Seeker40

Yea this is one heck of a thread. It's nearly been ten years, and we still talk about the ride coming back. It won't. If it does, it will be far different than what we saw, and hopefully for the better.

Villain, Bald Mountain? Rediculous. No need for it. California Adventure should focus on thrill rides in disneyland, while MGM and EPCOT should focus on a blend of thrill rides at WDW not just all out thrill rides.

As far as what happens to the lagoon. Well it's a giant swimming pool, so anything goes. I don't like the idea of the world's largest meat and great, they can do that at one of the skyway's or in toontown, and just make one or two of them. Submarine style ride would be nice, but costly as usual. I just hope what ever goes in its place will be a much loved and cherished ride or attraction by people of all kinds. Not just for nostalgic people or thrill seekers. There is so much potential, that it shouldn't be wasted.

As far as this whole debate goes, just let it go. Just preserve your memories or go to websites to relive those memories. It's over with. It's been ten years, and we were lied to since 1994. Like "dmagickingdom" said: let 20K R.I.P.

DSpear456

I think Chef's taking everything way out of context. Yeah, I was sad to see it go but I'm not whining about it as Chef makes those of us who loved the attraction seem. This thread is over. Drop it already.

dmagickingdom

thanks expo....couldn't have been said any better... surely isn't coming back...i sure miss it and I am thankful for the ones that shared their thoughts on this thread in a positive manner whether they liked it or not.

one thing for sure, i think whether you like it or not, everyone agrees that a meet and greet was not a good solution for a 10+ year absence of a major attraction like 20k.

Originally posted by General Grizz
And kids today? Disney isn't about kids.

It's about family. That's what Walt wanted. A place to grow attached to - remember the lyrics? "It's been a part of me, a part of you?"

Grizz as always you are 100% right!!!!

Disney is about family. And if my daughter wanted to wait 4hrs to ride the speedway i'd wait no matter how much i liked ro disliked the ride.

downwitheisner

Re: Re: Re: Good Bye & Good Riddance To 20K

For example, speakers and pipes can be seen all along the 2003 Mission Space queue roof. . .

I always assumed it was part of the atmosphere. Whatever...

strobe

Originally posted by Chefjason1974
I hope the next horrible ride to go is the indy speedway! This can go away & I wouldn't shed 1/2 of a tear!! I hate waiting in line for this & my 4 y.o always wants to ride it!!

Lets talk about what i wrote not as greedy nostalgia hounds. But, as people with kids. Kids who need & deserve Disney memories even more than we do.

Don't these two statements of yours cancel each other out??

Sounds like Troll fodder to me.. :snore:

mickhyperion

...Take two films: BEAUTY AND THE BEAST and ATLANTIS....

...Compare Horizons to Beauty and the Beast:

1. Covered a broad range of interests.
2. Had traditional Disney song and score.
3. Heart warming despite the various settings....

...Compare Atlantis to Mission Space.

1. Focused down on action.
2. No song/score for the audience to carry with them.
3. Cold in setting
4. Focusing on specific interests

This is a bad formula. It now has a lesser potential audience, there is no "heart" throughout the pavilion, it's cold, no song. In these respects, it's not "Disney." Atlantis, too, was a cold setting based on action - no heart, no song, etc....

Pardon me for editing your post down. I agree with you 100% on this comparison and rationale.

But, like all good rules, there is a notable exception to this "formula" and that is Space Mountain. SM is a beloved attraction by most Disney fans and yet has none of the characteristics of Beauty & the Beast/Horizons and has all of the characteristics of Atlantis/Mission Space. Yet somehow, SM was done right and has the magical appeal without fitting the formula. It is a popular, family thrill ride that has stood the test of time, yet it defies the mold. It is cold, dark, without music, and less than heartwarming. But still feels like Disney.

Sorry this is off-topic. But it just struck me as an interesting exception to the rule.

General Grizz

Intriguing point about Space Mountain, but the queue has wonderful music and attractive atmosphere. I also admire the post-show/music.

Now that I think about it more and more, I think it's rooted in the music.

Anyone??

Legacy

Originally Posted By mickhyperion-
But, like all good rules, there is a notable exception to this "formula" and that is Space Mountain. SM is a beloved attraction by most Disney fans and yet has none of the characteristics of Beauty & the Beast/Horizons and has all of the characteristics of Atlantis/Mission Space. Yet somehow, SM was done right and has the magical appeal without fitting the formula. It is a popular, family thrill ride that has stood the test of time, yet it defies the mold. It is cold, dark, without music, and less than heartwarming. But still feels like Disney.
Space mountain does fit into the formula, although it isn't an obvious answer (Continuing the movie motif, it's Lilo and Stitch). Space Mountain as an absolutely engulfing queque (I had spelling that word), much more so than Mission: Space. Also, it has a theme song. It's a nice little orchestral thing that is quite catchy, but it's not as powerful as say, Tomorrow's Child. It's not really heartwarming, but very much full of character.

General Grizz

Originally posted by Legacy
Space mountain does fit into the formula, although it isn't an obvious answer (Continuing the movie motif, it's Lilo and Stitch). Space Mountain as an absolutely engulfing queque (I had spelling that word), much more so than Mission: Space. Also, it has a theme song. It's a nice little orchestral thing that is quite catchy, but it's not as powerful as say, Tomorrow's Child. It's not really heartwarming, but very much full of character.

It used to have GREAT lyrics, but they were removed during the rehab.

The removal of the TV screens didn't help much, either.

Chefjason1974

Original Poster
Originally posted by Legacy

Hey Look at that we do agree! I have been going to WDW my entire life. The very first time I ever rode SM was last year! I was absolutely amazed! I have ridden lots Of roller coasters in the past & i can honestly say this dinky coaster in the dark was by far the best i have ever ridden. Possibly due to the Queue but I think it has to do with the sheer size & commanding presence the building has over the landscape. The ride being in the dark & being somewhat Low Tech was also part of the thrill For me! not to say that the high tech RRC in MGM isn't great but space mountain blew me away. Sorry, i still say 20K needed to go though!

P.S. I am not trying to insight arguments, just stating an opinion that obviously is not held by others!

"Can't we all just get along"-Rodney King

Dayma

Not for money but because i want my daughter to have the same feeling about WDW as i do & without rides

Ok I am sorry but I am not taking my kids on ToT,TT,RnR,SpaceMountain until they are at least 10. That means that for a while they are going to have to wait....

Kids do NOT think like us adults. They dont need fast rides to be happy. Looks at POOH and you will notice that it has the longest wait times compared to others in MK. This is because kids and families are able to enjoy it together.

How old is your daughter that you make this statement?

This just show what Americans have become. This is the TV and microwave generation where everything has to be done NOW NOW NOW. My point is people just need to sit back and have fun :)

mickhyperion

Intriguing point about Space Mountain, but the queue has wonderful music and attractive atmosphere. I also admire the post-show/music.
Hmm, being a child of the west coast, perhaps I'm not familiar with the Space Mountain music. DL has none that I'm aware of. "Com Chat" I'm very familiar with and it sort of has a musical thing happening within it, but I wouldn't consider the words to be lyrics. Maybe MK's version had it and DL's didn't. DL's later had the surf music which I thankfully missed out on, but I don't know of any other music besides that and have never noticed any at the MK. Is it still playing? I know of the music that plays on TTA during the SM segment and that's very cool.

Dayma

Villain, Bald Mountain? Rediculous. No need for it. California Adventure should focus on thrill rides in disneyland, while MGM and EPCOT should focus on a blend of thrill rides at WDW not just all out thrill rides.

This is my point exactly. All of us go to Disney for different reasons ans we ALL should have stuff to do including our children.

I also think bringing back 20k would fail due to the simple fact that kids have no idea about the film. I would love to see it but I just dont think it is feasible.

Chefjason1974

Original Poster
Re: Re: Good Bye & Good Riddance To 20K

Originally posted by strobe
Don't these two statements of yours cancel each other out??

Sounds like Troll fodder to me.. :snore:

you got me on this one! :D

But, i still wish WDW would consider something putting better in place of this turd of a ride! Like Grizz said something better suited to tomorrowland theme!

General Grizz

Originally posted by mickhyperion
Hmm, being a child of the west coast, perhaps I'm not familiar with the Space Mountain music. DL has none that I'm aware of. "Com Chat" I'm very familiar with and it sort of has a musical thing happening within it, but I wouldn't consider the words to be lyrics. Maybe MK's version had it and DL's didn't. DL's later had the surf music which I thankfully missed out on, but I don't know of any other music besides that and have never noticed any at the MK. Is it still playing? I know of the music that plays on TTA during the SM segment and that's very cool.

"We've Come So Far" is an inspirational ditty written by Wilkins? for Space Mountain - - a spacey version that MIXES with the background music (as heard in the first queue room - very pretty) -- this version is also heard in the TTA as well as the second queue room of SM (eventually, the music turns into spacey sounds that are very in-tune with the mood and sometimes add a bit of suspense.)

The song USED to have lyrics:

We've come so far, yet there's so very far to go
We've watched our dreams become reality
We have tasted what the future holds in store for us
And realize that we hold all the keys. . .

Anyway. . .

General Grizz

Originally posted by Wilt Dasney
We can't have an exit theme for Space Mountain now, or we wouldn't be able to hear about the wonders of FedEx. :)

FedEx? What is this FedEx that you speak of? ;)

Anyway, Music Makers and Sentimental Journey are very welcomed tunes for the "post show." :)

Lee

Adventurer
I just listened to my SM music, apparently I don't have the versions with lyrics....

unless you count "Zoom zoom zoom....":D

imagineer99

Originally posted by Lee
I just listened to my SM music, apparently I don't have the versions with lyrics....

unless you count "Zoom zoom zoom....":D

I have the space mountain "Star tunnel music"

However, I would love to have "We've come so far"

Anybody got it?:wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom