Good bye Carousel of Progress

nibblesandbits

My only question is (and PLEASE don't flame me!!! I know how edgy everyone has been on here lately and I'm tying to play devil's advocate here) if Walt were alive today...would he still care about COP the same way he did back in the day? And would the attraction still be around because of that? Because there are tons of technological advances that have happened since then and well since he is dead, we can't be sure of what he would have wanted considering that. I think we all would like to hope that COP would still be around if Walt were alive, but we really don't know how he would have reacted to the changing of the times. Truthfully, there really is no way to know if COP would have continued to be Walt's favorite baby.

As I said, please don't flame me as I was just trying to figure out what you guys here felt about that.

MaxGoof7

Well I really like Carousel of Progress. And I hope that Disney will Refurb it for a Newer Version of Carousel of Progress that is related to the 21st Century.

This will be Now live for today as the returning song "Now is the Time" will be recreated to a newer version of Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress with the current American Family.

TheOneVader

I prefer "There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow". :)

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day.
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, and tomorrow's just a dream away.

Man has a dream, and that's the start. He follows his dream with mind and heart.
And when it becomes a reality, it's a dream come true for you and me.

So there's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day.
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, just a dream away!

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Expo_Seeker40

Yeah I'd have to take "Beautiful Tomorrow" over "Now is the Time" anyday when it involves a new Carousel of Progress.

"Now is the time, now is the best time to buy General Electric products, a bomb could kill us all, so shop right now, open your eyes and enjoy your product today, and don't even think about tomorrow..." :hammer:

General Grizz

nibblesandbits said:
My only question is (and PLEASE don't flame me!!! I know how edgy everyone has been on here lately and I'm tying to play devil's advocate here) if Walt were alive today...would he still care about COP the same way he did back in the day? And would the attraction still be around because of that? Because there are tons of technological advances that have happened since then and well since he is dead, we can't be sure of what he would have wanted considering that. I think we all would like to hope that COP would still be around if Walt were alive, but we really don't know how he would have reacted to the changing of the times. Truthfully, there really is no way to know if COP would have continued to be Walt's favorite baby.

As I said, please don't flame me as I was just trying to figure out what you guys here felt about that.
All we know is this IS Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress, the ONE attraction he requested stay open. Why? He loved it: the family, the progress.

Translated VERY well in Epcot's late Horizons.

I agree that the attraction should be given the biggest technological update possible in order to ensure the translation of the message and themes, charm, and, well, progress!

But I just don't see that in bumper cars. :)

Heck, taking out Carousel of Progress would be a slap in the face to the word "Disney."

Number_6

nibblesandbits said:
Wow...that's a big change. To go from flying saucers to a stage. That's a significant difference! :lol:

And now they want to go in reverse from that? A multi-stage theater show to flying saucers? Not really what I call going forward.

DopeyJas2004

Why would they release a 30th anniversary pin if they were gonna close it? Jut out of curiosity, if they were gonna close it wouldnt they want to attracft less attention, sweep it under the rug so to speak? Just my thoughts on the subject. They very well may be closing it but if it were me i'd want less attention on the ride instead of releasing memorabilia commerating it.

TheOneVader

DopeyJas2004 said:
Why would they release a 30th anniversary pin if they were gonna close it? Jut out of curiosity, if they were gonna close it wouldnt they want to attracft less attention, sweep it under the rug so to speak? Just my thoughts on the subject. They very well may be closing it but if it were me i'd want less attention on the ride instead of releasing memorabilia commerating it.

You've got an excellent point! Perhaps there's a ray of hope? :)

DopeyJas2004

TheOneVader said:
You've got an excellent point! Perhaps there's a ray of hope? :)

Why thank you :) Just wishful thinking, regardless I'm glad I got my pin even if it cost TWENTY FIVE DOLLARS!! but ill admit well worth it :)

mkepcotmgmak

Pongo said:
I'm not totally sure if this is true, but I read on a website that the Carousel of Progress was the one ride that Walt never wanted to have demolished or replaced.

Oops, there i go thinking I'm Walt Disney again...

he never wanted sequels to his movies either...

when was this pic taken with the alien guys?

NEVER trust Jim Hill Media all the time. He's not always right...and he'll NEVER admit it.

The Halloween decor on the CoP is used ONLY at MNSSHP and has NOTHING to do with what might happen to the CoP in the future!

So, please, stop over-worrying about the CoP. I want it to stay as well and I agree that we have to fight for it to be kept, but let's not go around saying "It's the end" so prematurely, please. It'd take a toll on us.

General Grizz

disneyphilip said:
NEVER trust Jim Hill Media all the time. He's not always right...and he'll NEVER admit it.

The Halloween decor on the CoP is used ONLY at MNSSHP and has NOTHING to do with what might happen to the CoP in the future!

So, please, stop over-worrying about the CoP. I want it to stay as well and I agree that we have to fight for it to be kept, but let's not go around saying "It's the end" so prematurely, please. It'd take a toll on us.
And what did you say about Food Rocks, Phillip?

Maerj

mkepcotmgmak said:
he never wanted sequels to his movies either...

when was this pic taken with the alien guys?

Those letters def look Photoshopped to me. They aren't trying to say that the sign was actually changed to say that are they? The Buzz pic and Aliens were really there for decoration, but the Buzz Lightyear lettering was added later. We need a 'Grain of Salt' smilie to properly respond to Jim Hill articles.

General Grizz

Maerj said:
Those letters def look Photoshopped to me. They aren't trying to say that the sign was actually changed to say that are they? The Buzz pic and Aliens were really there for decoration, but the Buzz Lightyear lettering was added later. We need a 'Grain of Salt' smilie to properly respond to Jim Hill articles.
That photo is real. The sign was covered over for the evenings. They were even posted on WDWmagic by another member and that photo can be found on the article I linked, and on these photo albums...

tigger248

General Grizz said:
That photo is real. The sign was covered over for the evenings. They were even posted on WDWmagic by another member and that photo can be found on the article I linked, and on these photo albums...

I can second that the photo is definitely real. I saw the sign like that myself, but my only picture of it is on the video camera.

I'm taking the idea that the sign change is a sign of the future with a grain of salt. When I was at MNSSHP and saw the sign, it was 2002. So they've been doing the sign change for at least the last few years. That said, one would think that they'd have done something by now (or at least announced it) if the sign really was designed to be a sign of the future. I do believe that some things are signs of things to come (like the Stitch blow up that was on top of AE during the 2002 MNSSHP), but I also have my doubts about the sign.

But, if there is any truth to this rumor, I s'pose I better sharpen my pencil and send a letter to Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom