Good bye Carousel of Progress

Captain Hank

Also, the OP isn't new information. I remember seeing that pic a while back...not sure when or where, but Jim has been predictng COP's demise for quite some time now. My opinion: keep it. It's a quality attraction and a classic.

Sir_Cliff

Number_6 said:
Not entirely accurate. I was there early evening a little over a week ago and they had two theaters full worth of guests outside. I even took pictures to prove it. Grizz, you guys have those pics I sent, right? Sure, they aren't always filling every theater, but there are times that the lines are short for any ride. And since the capacity of the theater is fairly decent, you won't always see huge lines outside, since most of the people waiting have just gone into the theater.

I'm sure it peaks and troughs like any other attraction, but I think if we were being honest we'd have to admit that it's no longer a headline attraction.

I will admit that I personally like it and I am torn as to whether Disney should replace it as CoP does represent one of the MK's last slow, nostalgic attractions which will be particularly appreciated by an older demographic but which the whole family can experience. It's also a genuinely historical attraction given its origins in the 1964 World's Fair. However, I can understand Disney looking at the CoP and seeing an opportunity to more effectively utilitize the land with a more marketable and popular attraction. It's a business, and if Disney can put in a new attraction which will attract more guests and be more popular than how can you really argue with them?

If we end up with another Journey Into Imagination then that will be another issue, but then I didn't have an in principal problem with them updating that attraction.

Expo_Seeker40

*stepping onto his soapbox*

If they end up destroying the CoP by 2008 well shame on them. I will still go to Disney parks, but I will never forgive just who or whom allowed the CoP to go to "Disney Heaven".

Yes I've heard and read all about how Walt Disney said that he wanted this ONE SINGLE RIDE to be kept in any of his parks as long as his parks still thrive I assume...which unless a comet hits the Earth or God knows what, then I expect any Disney park in general to survive and thrive.

Why not keep it? It came to the Magic Kingdom that Walt dreamed of, but never got to see...it's a nice place for it. Yea I think Epcot would be better...

There are of course many reasons why to save this show. First all, like discussed, it is a relic from a long ago exhibition. It is one of I suppose a few Disney rides to go to two different Disney parks, let alone from a World's Fair.

It is one a few rides..if not the last one to still offer a revolving theater...an amazing concept.

I could just keep on ranting... :animwink:

The reason why the CoP doesn't get the best attenedence has already been explained. It has a great capacity. A theater sitting over 200 people rotates in every 4 minutes. Yet this is a problem. We've discussed in the past how no big lines outfront can cause the casual visitor to think the ride is closed or not fun at all.

The CoP also sits in a boring building, not much bling bling around it, not heavily advertised, no sponsor to help out...nadda.

And even since it moved to the MK in 1975 I feel a chunk of the ride's purpouse was taken away when they could not offer any other GE type electricty exhibits or interactive things to help coincide with the CoP. If the ride ever went to Epcot. I hope it could be part of some new progressland or electricity pavilion.

Here's hoping that the CoP can be saved, and not distroyed or go to a museum. Though I think restoring it to it's original 1964 feature would be fun and could be advertised on purpouse...then the ride becomes a museum piece. If you expand the show and make a larger carousel theater. Then you can have 1900, 1920, 1940, 1960, 1980, 2000 and a finale called "tomorrow" that can always be updated...but you then have a 45 minute show to deal with. :cry:

Yen_Sid1

Here is another thing that management looks at. How much are the upkeep costs? Animated figures are a big budget for maintenance, so is the turntable, especially for old rides it is hard to get replacement parts. Some of them are obsolete already. So are the costs worth it? Look at 20K. It always had long lines, but maintenance costs were high. Also Journey into Imagination, it had high maintenance costs, so they just got rid of the animated figures and the turntable. I think they consider a lot of other things beside guest attendance.

Expo_Seeker40

Just for the heck of it. For all of you who saw the Carousel of Progress at Disneyland or would like to see what the Disneyland 1967 ending was like..I found a great picture of it from the Disney Pix website.

Mother and Father celebrating Christmas at their EPCOT/Progress City home. :sohappy: Just to help orient the viewer. Mother is sitting near where Grandma sits [on a step] in the show's current finale.

http://www.disneypix.com/Pana-Vue/Disneyland/Tomorrowland/VP62A9 - Modern Christmas.jpg.htm

Heatherbell

Call me crazy..but I love the Carousel of Progress. It was one of the first rides I ever went on as a little kid. Now as an adult it is a great way to take a break and relax and get cool.

ralz28 said:
See ya COP!

I doubt it...they will keep it around...but probably like it has been for the past few years. Open seasonally, it needs to be updated...but like all things at disney world...doubt they will be getting around to it anytime soon.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
General Grizz said:
Not to be a plugger or troll, and I hope this is allowed: www.d-troops.com is now conducting a mission to preserve Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress.

Plugger! Troll!! :lol::lol:

The person who originated this thread has had their account suspended. Other, newer members support the closing of CoP, the reasoning of which is "just because it's classic doesn't mean it shouldn't be torn down". Sad, just sad....

It's not about just closing the CoP - it's about closing attractions without due cause. If it were sitting empty day after day after day, I could understand that, as much as I like the attraction. CoP is unique - you can't go out and have the same or similar experience *anywhere else*.

philsfan2185

It would a darn shame if COP gets replaced or demolished. When I think of COP, I think of Walt. This was HIS attraction. It would stink for the younger generations not being able to experience one of Walt's creations.

I've always kind of enjoyed COP - it's a nice tribute to Walt Disney the man. I'm not a preservationist - no problems with the skyway, Toad, and 20K being taken out. But it's nice to see something that's so Walt Disney-ish still at WDW, so I hope COP sticks around for a while...

I took my kids on it for the first time on our trip to Disney a few weeks ago. I was shocked - my six-year-old LOVED it, and my three-year-old enjoyed it too. They were singing "There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow" the rest of the day, and when we got home I had to dig out an old Disney CD that contains the song.

So apparently the attraction isn't obsolete or "just for old folks" quite yet!

Disney_fan_girl

i think CoP should stay because as everyone else is saying, is one of the signs that Walt Disney' s dream is still very present in the park. i personally enjoy the ride, but many people younger than me prefer the fast pace rides such as space mountain. that could also be a reason they might be closing it down. but then again other people enjoy it too. they should maintain it open.

nibblesandbits

Laura22 said:
I was just coming here to ask why they were suspended, I'm nosey!

Laura, I think I know why he's been suspended. Just look at how he reacts in this post! (Esp. to people like PhotoDave and hcwalker). Just thought I'd let you know, coz I was curious too! :p

General Grizz

TheOneVader said:
I already did my part by e-mailing Disney... BTW, did you happen to "find me a little something"? :)
I'm working on it! I am considering the options... :lol:

As for CoP, Disney *is* looking at the Little Green Men idea... not necessarily for CoP, but flying saucers has always been given an eye.

Number6 - I may post your photos tomorrow in an article. :)

Finally, good post Mike Crawford -- the show has six stages, each with over 200 seats. With a load every five minutes, well, what a huge capacity. The show can be mixed, but ultimately, it's not that bad off.

Take Spaceship Earth. How often do you wait for it? Would you be surprised if it's ridden more than Mission Space or Test Track, which have 120+ waits on peak days?

Captain Chaos

I hope they do not replace CoP... especially with the little green aliens from Toy Story.. I didn't think they were all that big a character to deserve a ride... A UFO styled bumper car ride?? Another kiddie target..

And as far as Walt Disney's wish that this attraction never be demolished, do you think he ever thought there would be a day the leader of his company would be an egotistical maniac who doesn't look at Walt Disney as the creator of this fine company???

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom