Good bye Carousel of Progress

KentB3

hcwalker16 said:
This is 100% a rumor. :wave:

THANK GOD!!!!! It would almost be an complete disrespect to Walt Disney and his legacy to permanently close and take out Carousel of Progress of WDW and never show again!

Sir_Cliff

TheDisneyQueen said:
Soon we will be looking at a magic Kingdom of new rides and the old will be forgotten. The whole reason I love WDW so much is because I can't wait to have my kids expierence the rides that I have.... when you get rid of rides like COP there is no more bond you have with the place.... Eventually they might even replace many of the rides and bonds that you have had with the place because of those rides will be gone.when you get rid of places in wdw that have been there for that long you are taking away what I have wanted to show my kids. I wanted to show my kids what I expierenced with their grandfather and bond with them more.... PLEASE DON'T CLOSE COP!

Yes, but they can't keep everything open forever. Rides like Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise, Big Thunder, Space Mountain, Small World and most of Fantasyland aren't going anywhere anytime soon because they've held up better over time and thus it's quite conceivable that today's kids will be taking their kids on any one of these rides in 20 years time. There are If You Had Wings tribute sites out there, but the (relatively) new Buzz Lightyear is far more popular today and will probably go on to be a more popular nostalgia ride in a few decades time.

I personally like CoP, find it interesting and also agree that it does have genuine historical significance as being, along with It's A Small World, one of the few attractions from the 1964 World's Fair to be preserved. It captures the sentiment of the era quite well. But Disney is trying to run a theme park rather than a museum and on these grounds a strong case could be made to replace it with something that will have a greater appeal to its guests and thus bring in more money. While it would be great to see it transplanted to Epcot, I can't imagine they'd spend the money that would end up costing particularly after they've gone about replacing CoP-like attractions. Although I personally hope it stays, maybe its time has finally come to close.

joshydee

would you people think if they changed the scenes so it came at the end to 2020 or similar? do you think you would have to change all the previous scenes?
thanks
josh

Expo_Seeker40

See, this is one of the issues invovled with giving the ride some TLC.

If you set the new ending in the future you will have a huge gap between 1940 and...say...2020.

I wouldn't dare change the the first three scenes. They are pretty much the only things we have left that are actually from 1964. Money could be spent to refurb those scenes and make them look like they did in 1964 with of course new technology allowing them to function.

Like I've said before:

1.) Restore it to it's original 1964 on purpouse...but it will be a museum piece forever.

2.) Temporarily restore it to it's 1967 version to celebrate Disneyland's 50th.

3.) Add a new ending, but face the facts of an 80 year or so gap in progress past 1940.

4.) Expand the show with a new carousel theater...add new stages...you can have the original four 1964 world's fair sets...then add 1980, 2000, and the only scene that will ever be updated..."tomorrow". But you face a 45 minute show...and a lot of money being put in a risky financial adventure.

5.) Uhhh yesterland

yoav_ko

MaxGoof7 said:
This will be Now live for today as the returning song "Now is the Time" will be recreated to a newer version of Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress with the current American Family.

If I read statistics correctly, to have a Carousel with the current american family it will be most likely two buildings (one for the father and one for the mother) with the kids torn in the middle :lol: :lol: :lol:

HennieBogan1966

Account Suspended
I just can't see this attraction ever being closed down. Funny thing is, if you would keep it open longer throughout the year, I think you'd SEE a reason to keep it open, instead of debating WHEN to pull the plug.

Lynx04

If COP does close and a new attraction takes its place, I just hope it is relocated to a different Disney park so that it will still be in action. Even if it is not a WDW, I would still be happy to see it in action some where else.

RedGear

jumpin the gun!

I think you are just jumpin the gun! Like someone said they already have a toy story ride in tomorrowland! And besides, what are they going to decorate it with for halloween!?!? No one dresses up like any of the charcters from CoP! And buzzlight year is more colorful and bright for halloween!

Stop freakin out about something that hasn't happened yet just based on a picture!! :mad:

General Grizz

RedGear said:
I think you are just jumpin the gun! Like someone said they already have a toy story ride in tomorrowland! And besides, what are they going to decorate it with for halloween!?!? No one dresses up like any of the charcters from CoP! And buzzlight year is more colorful and bright for halloween!

Stop freakin out about something that hasn't happened yet just based on a picture!! :mad:
This isn't based on a picture. This is based on over 10 years of planning to replace Carousel of Progress....

Don't forget, the plan to replace it with Flying Saucers was even considered in the early 90s before the current version was decided upon. Disney has been considering Toy Story, as all ideas are tossed around, especially good "synergy" ones.

Even Carousel of Progress, Galaxy Palace, and Skyway were on consideration to be replaced by a "large emporium and smaller attraction."

Seasonal runs and 12 years without an update (the longest yet for CoP) add to the issue. . . the whole replacement deal is not new. . .

KumbaRider

We can at least hope they won't do anything until after the 50th, right? Or will that not necessarily be the case because the average guest won't know or care about it? Let's hope nothing happens, and some people finally realize this shouldn't happen.

General Grizz

KumbaRider said:
We can at least hope they won't do anything until after the 50th, right? Or will that not necessarily be the case because the average guest won't know or care about it? Let's hope nothing happens, and some people finally realize this shouldn't happen.

Yep...attractions like LMA, Soarin, and Stitch are being given the focus for the 50th, but have little - if any - historical significance. In Walt Disney's Disneyland, Carousel of Progress was definitely a big issue.

A big refurbishment of it, like the Enchanted Tiki Room in Disneyland and It's a Small World, is necessary and respectful.

But don't necessarily look for much . . . Walt's supposed favorite ride was CLOSED on his birthday and 100 YOM kickoff. . .

WDWScottieBoy

Grizz, I've been busy planning my vacation, and it doesn't show CoP on the disneyworld.com site as seasonal anymore. The only thing showing up as seasonal at the MK is The Timekeeper.

I think this is good news for the CoP as we can expect to see it remain open! :sohappy:

trackbarroness

General Grizz
OT

So what's up with D-troops site? You guys move the site or something? So how do I gain access to the site? I'm Lou Scarboru over on D-troops.

I'd be looking for a rehab on COP rather then being replaced by spaceships or little green people. Don't forget Buzz Lightyear is in the same show building as COP, so mostly what will/could happen is an adition of Flying Saucers, but weren't they already added?

Just mpo :wave:
Have a magical day
Sandy
AKA Lou Scarboru

General Grizz

WDWScottieBoy said:
Grizz, I've been busy planning my vacation, and it doesn't show CoP on the disneyworld.com site as seasonal anymore. The only thing showing up as seasonal at the MK is The Timekeeper.

I think this is good news for the CoP as we can expect to see it remain open! :sohappy:
It's not listed as seasonal at the moment. But a rehab needs to be done - soon.

Lou, the site's down based ona server issue. I hope to see it up ASAP! :)

WDWScottieBoy

I agree it needs a rehab, but I'd much rather see it open instead of the state it has been in for the past several years. I like to think that all of our phone calls, emails, and everything else that we've done to keep it open haev worked!

Woody13

worldshwcasefan said:
What are they going to replace it with ?

Many years ago in Disneyland, there was a "bumper car" attraction. The cars were single seat vehicles that rode on a cushion of air. They hadn't really perfected the technology of these devices, so the attraction never really worked correctly and it was subject to a number of maintenance problems. It didn't last very long before it was removed.

Rumor is now that they have redesigned these airfoil cars and have overcome the previous mechanical problems associated with the earlier models. The theme for the new attraction is that these new cars would be called "flying saucers" and that the little green space aliens from Toy Story would be offering flying saucer driving lessons. Projected timetable to remove CoP and install the new attraction is late 2007 or early 2008.

Since Buzz Lightyear is such a very popular attraction in Tomorrowland, the idea is that the theme of this proposed new attraction would fit much better than CoP.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom