Good bye Carousel of Progress

General Grizz

Woody13 said:
Many years ago in Disneyland, there was a "bumper car" attraction. The cars were single seat vehicles that rode on a cushion of air. They hadn't really perfected the technology of these devices, so the attraction never really worked correctly and it was subject to a number of maintenance problems. It didn't last very long before it was removed.

Rumor is now that they have redesigned these airfoil cars and have overcome the previous mechanical problems associated with the earlier models. The theme for the new attraction is that these new cars would be called "flying saucers" and that the little green space aliens from Toy Story would be offering flying saucer driving lessons. Projected timetable to remove CoP and install the new attraction is late 2007 or early 2008.

Since Buzz Lightyear is such a very popular attraction in Tomorrowland, the idea is that the theme of this proposed new attraction would fit much better than CoP.
... but the truth is, it doesn't. . .

KentB3

jsfra209 said:
Wasnt COP one on the rides originally fashioned by Walt Disney himself?

As far as I know, it was conceived and completely designed by Walt Disney himself! In fact, Walt even sings the Carousel of Progress theme song "There's a Great Big Beautiful Tommorrow" along with the Sherman brothers, who wrote the song.

Just thought you'd like to know! :animwink:

General Grizz

KentB3 said:
As far as I know, it was conceived and completely designed by Walt Disney himself! In fact, Walt even sings the Carousel of Progress theme song "There's a Great Big Beautiful Tommorrow" along with the Sherman brothers, who wrote the song.

Just thought you'd like to know! :animwink:
How sad it would be to take out a great essence and history of Disney... :(

diddy_mouse

i don't know....all this talk of closing down CoP bugs me. its a shame that there is even a thought of shutting the attraction down. it's part of the MK whether it's outdated or not. and i find it sad that the reason behind closing an attraction is based on the fact that it's old. what about Spaceship Earth (slightly OT)? the ride has seen better days and is indesperate need of a rehab...but it certainly should not be shut down. same goes with CoP. it's kitch, its nostalgia, its part of the Magic Kingdom.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
hey grizz, uhhmmm uhmmm, didnt you hear about that curse to anyone who disturbs CoP. oh, yeh, i heard it is worse than the curse Howard Carter and crew experienced. I even heard that if you mixed Tut's curse and the holy grail scene in Indy (faces melt) you may have this curse :lookaroun

freaky deaky. I wouldnt mess with it with eisner's hand. LOL

KentB3

General Grizz said:
How sad it would be to take out a great essence and history of Disney... :(

I couldn't have said that better myself! Permanently closing and scrapping Carousel of Progress would be a GREAT disrespect to Walt Disney and his legacy, especially since CoP was an attraction he personally created and conceived of himself, and even pitched in the theme song by singing it with the song's writers, the Sherman Brothers! It would be a sad day to have the strains of There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow silenced forever, at the very least! :( :mad: :cry: :brick:

millercv

I love CoP and believe there should be more shows like it, but I do feel as though it needs an update badly.

What I would love to see is a large Disney museum on property. It could be a separate ticketed attraction. They could set it up with a convention area attached to it for Disneyana events. They could have ride cars, virtual ride-throughs, etc.

That way they could move the existing CoP over there. They could just move the show portion and make it a walk around by using a revolving curtain. That way it wouldn't require quite as much upkeep and could fit in a smaller space.

BwanaBob

I say...

Turn it into a giant rotisserie for defunct attractions.

Kind of like "Here's where we learned our lesson on what NOT to build"

You could put Stitch in there, a couple of meet-n-greets, ...heck, you could hire back some of the animators and pay them to just stand there while the naration goes something like..." and here's an extinct species from the old MGM Studios... the once back-bone for Disney tradition in motion pictures...blah, blah, blah."

At least they'd have a job again. :D

KentB3

To make matters worse, I recently found out that a deal was with the Disney theme parks by the Disney family after Walt's death, that Carousel of Progress was to stay open permanently, and nothing was to happen to it (like getting demolished), out of Walt's personal wishes. Sadly, it appears that Michael Eisner's agenda is to directly violate and/or disregard each and every such order made by the Disney family like that one, and/or Walt's wishes.

KentB3

KentB3 said:
To make matters worse, I recently found out that a deal was with the Disney theme parks by the Disney family after Walt's death, that Carousel of Progress was to stay open permanently, and nothing was to happen to it (like getting demolished), out of Walt's personal wishes. Sadly, it appears that Michael Eisner's agenda is to directly violate and/or disregard each and every such order made by the Disney family like that one, and/or Walt's wishes.

In other words, the plan to close and demolish Carousel of Progress is, especially since a deal with the Disney family regarding the CoP was made regarding Walt's and his family's persoanl wishes, then demolishing it is even sicker than any of us could have imagined! Unbelievable. :( :mad: :cry: :brick: :fork:

General Grizz

KentB3 said:
Do you have evidence of this?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom