Good bye Carousel of Progress

Ghost Host

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Read this on another board.

member from that board said:
I love the Carousel of Progress. Unfortunetly, a lot of CoP history happened before I was born. I didn't get to see it at the World's Fair in 64/65. I didn't get to see it at Disneyland. I have all of those influences and traits that Disney says that turn people off from the CoP. So let me start again. I love the Carousel of Progress. Why do you think my site is "Carousel of Magic"?

It has come of late that there have been rumors surrounding the closing of the CoP. To be perfectly fair, there have been such rumors and worries for years. I recently read this article on Jim Hill Media:

http://www.jimhillmedia.com/mb/articles/showarticle.php?ID=1270

Originally Posted by Jim Hill Media said:
Speaking of which ... Take a close look at this photograph of the exterior of the "Carousel of Progress" as it was decorated for this year's "Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party" at WDW's Magic Kingdom.
Pixar0017.jpg

Photo by Jeff Lange
My sources inside of WDI are telling me that we should all consider these "Buzz Lightyear" -themed Halloween decorations to be sort of a coming attraction. Meaning that "Toy Story" 's little green men will mostly likely be moving into Tomorrowland's theater-go-round building -- offering WDW visitors flying saucer driving lessons -- sometime in late 2007 / early 2008.

I have recently exchanged emails with Jacob Addison, founder of Carousel of Progress.com, who agrees that this may be it. I encourage you if you haven't already to go to his site and sign the petition. Remember, There's a Great Big Beautiful Tommorow, Shining at the End of Every Day. For Now.

Austin1

I doubt this, we already have one attraction based on Toy story.
Personally Im sick of them making tomorrowland "futuristic cartoonland"

just my thoughts,

--Austin--

DisneyFreak529

COP is a classic! I don't think They would close it down any time soon! Yes it has a few bugs but people love it. I love it! I don't think COP is going any were!!!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Its a good idea not to make sensationalist titles on the news and rumours board - `Goodbye Carousel of Progress` is too strong a title for a rumour that has been floating around for a few years.

Sir_Cliff

Hmm, I like Carousel of Progress and agree it's a classic, but it's really presented now as a museum piece more than a theme park attraction. I'll be disappointed to see it disappear, but the theme parks do have to move on and CoP isn't like Mr Toad which still had long lines and had worked its way into popular culture.

As long as we get a solid, Disney-standard attraction in its place I can live with them replacing it.

wannab@dis

I would be very careful believing anything you read on JHM. They have a tendency to be, uh, wrong, most of the time.

HennieBogan1966 said:
See I told you guys. It's all about the little green men. This is a govenment plot to overthrow WDW with little green men. Run for your lives!!!!!!!!!!

Hennie, why are you constantly posting this nonsense in so many threads? If you don't have something to say that is consistent with the thread, maybe you should take it to Chit-Chat...

HennieBogan1966

Account Suspended
Lighten up Wanna B, I'm just having a little fun. Geez!!! Get over yourselves people.

I told you all, it's the Mirror on the Castle causing all of this.

wannab@dis

HennieBogan1966 said:
Lighten up Wanna B, I'm just having a little fun. Geez!!! Get over yourselves people.

I told you all, it's the Mirror on the Castle causing all of this.

I'm all for a little fun, but your ridiculous comments are in every thread... pick one and hang out there. Just please don't inudate multiple threads with your "fun".

Pongo

I'm not totally sure if this is true, but I read on a website that the Carousel of Progress was the one ride that Walt never wanted to have demolished or replaced.

Oops, there i go thinking I'm Walt Disney again...

Number_6

Sir_Cliff said:
the theme parks do have to move on and CoP isn't like Mr Toad which still had long lines and had worked its way into popular culture.

Not entirely accurate. I was there early evening a little over a week ago and they had two theaters full worth of guests outside. I even took pictures to prove it. Grizz, you guys have those pics I sent, right? Sure, they aren't always filling every theater, but there are times that the lines are short for any ride. And since the capacity of the theater is fairly decent, you won't always see huge lines outside, since most of the people waiting have just gone into the theater.

Kwit35

When Splash or TMRR have short lines we cheer. When COP has a short line.."OMG it is the end of a classic". I think that, like all rides, it has busy days and it has slow days. I for one would be very sad if it went away.

staticshifter

like it or not, classic or not, it should stay because it was walts wish that it be the one attraction that always stay in disney. toads and 20k were both mistakes. we need a new meet and greet like disney needs another eisner.

MiklCraw4d

CoP Attendance

I agree with your comments on its current presentation, but I wouldn't be so quick to jump to conclusions about attendance. Each time I visit WDW I make a special point of riding the CoP once or twice. In recent years I've been very pleased to notice that the theater is always at least one-half to two-thirds full each time I ride. I'm usually shocked at how well attended it is.

The Carousel is basically a people-swallower. It never has huge lines outside like Toad did, but it's also way more efficient on moving huge loads of people than Toad ever was. I'm not privy to any real ridership info, but I bet on those busy days at the MK it really moves some big numbers.

My personal concept has always been to move the Carousel to EPCOT where it could somehow tie in to Innoventions. There is so much wasted space in and around the Communicore buildings that a Carousel theatre could be easily muscled in. It would tie in much closer thematically with EPCOT, Future World, and Innoventions than it does in Tomorrowland.

I would not, however, be excited about it being replaced with a Little Green Men ride. I think Tomorrowland needs some exciting new concepts that are not yanked directly from recent animated features. Dare I suggest the old Plectu's Revue concept?

So, in summary, I think that the Disney company should always have a Carousel of Progress operating somewhere. I'm just not really picky about where it is, as long as it's thematically sound and well maintained. And please, please... no more day-glo green in Tomorrowland.

MC

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom